Toyota/Amsoil advice

Hi,
I have a 2016 Rav4 LE with about 80K and a 2014 Camry SE with 97K. Both were bought new and have had 10K/1 year oil changes (whichever comes first). The RAV4 has more local driving than the camry. I did one oil analysis on the camry at about 70K and blackstone said to try extending the interval by about 2K. I have been using the Amsoil EA filters and SS 0W-20 consistently for all oil changes. Neither car is consuming any oil at all between changes. As these cars are now getting a bit older, should I drop down to 6K-7K? I am now wondering if I should have been doing more frequent changes all along for peace of mind. I don't plan on keeping the cars forever, but I am hoping to get to 200K possibly.

Some good discussion here:

I'm in a similar boat...do I keep doing 10,000 mile intervals, or do I drop it down to 6,500-7,500 miles, now that my car has 110,000 miles on it? Tough question, but whereas I'm the type that questions the 10,000 mile interval (and plan on keeping the vehicle till it blows up), I may switch to 7,500 intervals and call it a day. And, for the record, I've only tried these 10,000 mile intervals three times now (in a row). Engine uses zero makeup oil...I've had great UOA's in the past. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Hi,
I have a 2016 Rav4 LE with about 80K and a 2014 Camry SE with 97K. Both were bought new and have had 10K/1 year oil changes (whichever comes first). The RAV4 has more local driving than the camry. I did one oil analysis on the camry at about 70K and blackstone said to try extending the interval by about 2K. I have been using the Amsoil EA filters and SS 0W-20 consistently for all oil changes. Neither car is consuming any oil at all between changes. As these cars are now getting a bit older, should I drop down to 6K-7K? I am now wondering if I should have been doing more frequent changes all along for peace of mind. I don't plan on keeping the cars forever, but I am hoping to get to 200K possibly.
If Blackstone is advising pushing the OCI to 12k, then you should be fine with 10K/12 month OCI still.

I wish Amsoil would offer the SS in 0w16

Thanks all. I think I am going to just stick with what I am doing. It was a little bit of an OCD moment as I was reading a thread on a toyota site last night and the majority of people seemed adamant about 5K oil changes. I will do a round of UOA on both cars just to see how things look.

Thanks all. I think I am going to just stick with what I am doing. It was a little bit of an OCD moment as I was reading a thread on a toyota site last night and the majority of people seemed adamant about 5K oil changes. I will do a round of UOA on both cars just to see how things look.
One important detail AMD (aka The Car Care Nut), doesn't mention, is the brand of oil used. While he advocates using TGMO, with the examples he has documented, we don't know that oil(s) was used.

For example.... 2 exxon-mobil oils... TGMO vs Mobil 1. Mobil 1 uses a different base oil blend, and a different additive package. Does the different base oil blend and additive package lead to different longevity results? Toyota doesn't test every API oil for its durability and maintenance recommendations, just TGMO and other Toyota-branded maintenance items.

Amsoil SS additive package does tend to compare well to TGMO

I would use NAPA 0W20 synthetic. On sale now. Your vehicles are not tough on oil. I think Amsoil is overkill in your application. Go with what the manual says 6K to 8K probably. A UOA for your application is not worth it. Costs the same as changing your oil (well maybe not Amsoil).

I am a fan of Amsoil for gear oil and ATF. But for motor oil you can find high quality oil at Walmart. No need to pay the extra for Amsoil.

You say the RAV4 does more local driving... does it qualify for severe service maintenance intervals? The only way I would ever do 10k oil service intervals is if the vehicle's oil capacity is large or if it does 90% highway miles. Otherwise the oil service intervals are 7-8k maximum, sometimes down to 5k depending on the recent usage.

You say the RAV4 does more local driving... does it qualify for severe service maintenance intervals? The only way I would ever do 10k oil service intervals is if the vehicle's oil capacity is large or if it does 90% highway miles. Otherwise the oil service intervals are 7-8k maximum, sometimes down to 5k depending on the recent usage.
See below from the 2014 rav4 maintenance manual
1669662119830.jpg

Reactions: FZ1
Hi,
If it ain't broke: Don't fix it.

I live in Virginia Beach, so it is very rarely below 32. My wife uses it to drive to work which is probably about 9 miles each way with about 5 of that on the highway. Other than that, we use it on the weekends for shopping and also on long trips for vacations and that sort of stuff. The Amsoil SS is 15K for severe service and 15K for the filter, so I have that part too to consider.

I live in Virginia Beach, so it is very rarely below 32. My wife uses it to drive to work which is probably about 9 miles each way with about 5 of that on the highway. Other than that, we use it on the weekends for shopping and also on long trips for vacations and that sort of stuff. The Amsoil SS is 15K for severe service and 15K for the filter, so I have that part too to consider.
You can get a 5 QT jug of NAPA 0W20 full synthetic for less than 2 QT of Amsoil.

Hi,
You should have been doing 5K/6months since new.

Back