Toyo Tundra 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tundra73
Maybe the proof comes from various Toyota forums..... current and former owners.
If you haven't felt differences in your vehicle after trying new oils and viscosites - different gasolines and octanes, then maybe it's genes inside your body that's missing / absent.

I've owned a dozen new vehicles over the years and none was more sensitive than my 99' Chevy S10 with H.O. 4.3 V6. I knew immediately after changing to Valvoline Maxlife Synblend. I knew immediately after filling my gas tank with Shell 93 octane. If you can't feel any difference, then either you haven't been changing products, or something's amiss (or over-abundant) inside your body.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Tundra73
then maybe it's genes inside your body that's missing / absent.

ROTFLMAO! Okay, man. Okay. Sorry, but I can't take you seriously after this.

Originally Posted by Tundra73
Tundra73

No need to apologize. We are all built a little differently. Some carry more sensitivities than others.
It's certainly not a laughing matter. But before you try to disprove anything on this board about Toyotas, read all the various forums /messageboards on Toyotas. Google is your friend. All those owners bring / express all kinds of experiences to the table.

Last edited:
Tundra73

No need to apologize. We are all built a little differently. Some carry more sensitivities than others.
It's certainly not a laughing matter.

My point was that the Toyota engineers know what they are doing. The Tundra performs fantastic on the oil spec that Toyota engineers stipulate with optimal fuel economy. This is because of countless engineering hours and tests. I trust that way more than someone choosing to run a different viscosity because they "feel" that it "runs better."

Dude
You can only trust personal experiences. But you can sense if it's the truth, by reading what thousands of other Toyota owners have to say on the matter.

I am done with this. Some people you can teach and some are just plain stubborn and want to listen to only engineers.

In other words, if an engineer says 0w20 is best and your vehicle runs better on 5w30, then you should be telling that engineer he's full of krappola.

Last edited:
Tundra73

Me either. What a mess. Lol

You sound like an engineer Powersurge. Can't see the forest from the trees.

Btw it's, "Can't see the forest for the trees."

Powersurge
If the engineer doesn't say the 0w20 is better, his boss reams him a new buttski and threatens to fire him because of governmental mandates on fuel economy.

If that same engineer gets transferred to Toyota Australia, he is going to tell you that the best oils for the Tundra is 5w/30/40.
Again, I'm done with this. Onto another topic.....

BTW - what I said was correct. In reading your profile of many posts, in my opinion, you cannot see the forest from the trees. You don't seem to comprehend looking past - or beyond some topics. The straight and narrow is only a safe mode. Look at a broader picture in topics like this.

Last edited:
Dude
But you can sense if it's the truth, by reading what thousands of other Toyota owners have to say on the matter.

I am a member of three Toyota Tundra forums. Sure, there are few who espouse similar nonsense as you, but the majority on those forums run the Toyota spec'd oil weight as they should because they believe in rational, scientific decisions, not feelings.

What does it matter to you if others prefer to provide better lubrication protection to their Tundras?
No one is forcing you to go outside your comfort zone.

Dude
But you can sense if it's the truth, by reading what thousands of other Toyota owners have to say on the matter.

I am a member of three Toyota Tundra forums. Sure, there are few who espouse similar nonsense as you, but the majority on those forums run the Toyota spec'd oil weight as they should because they believe in rational, scientific decisions, not feelings.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
What does it matter to you if others prefer to provide better lubrication protection to their Tundras?

That is my point. How do you know it is better protection? You don't.

Because it would have a higher HTHS. If there is one motor oil performance value that you could pull out as a singular indicator of "protection" that would be it.

In regards to protection MOFT is still king.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

It's quantifiable that the higher viscosity selection will provide more reliable hydrodynamic lubrication. It's physics and it's real.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Because it would have a higher HTHS. If there is one motor oil performance value that you could pull out as a singular indicator of "protection" that would be it.

One of the million mile Tundras used 0w-20 oil. There are many, many Tundras running around with way over 100,000 and 200,000 miles that have only used 0w-20 oil.

The same usual suspects always posts in these threads. 10 years from now you two will be posting that instead of 0w-8 or 0w-16 oil everyone should be running 0w-20 because of MOFT and HTHS.

Read and UNDERSTAND ALL of the first post in this thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../moft-hthsv-vii-and-wear-its-complicated

Since your truck isn't flex fuel (5,000 mile OCI for normal use, 2,500 for severe) you have more relaxed oil change requirements.

Further, you're covering 7,500 miles every three months, so you're not short tripping this, it's getting lots of long runs.

You're already changing it at 3/4 of the recommended mileage and well short of the recommended time.

You're already being conservative.

The owner's manual on my 2016 says 0W20 required, and while 5w20 can be used, it must be changed back. Then it says, for severe use, like towing, 5W30 may be used.

So, truthfully, any 0W20, 5W20 or 5W30 sounds good. I would stick with a synthetic, 0w20 is fine, since that's what you prefer. Toyota's own is fine.

I've been running mine on 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which I got really cheap. UOAs on that are good, and that would be fine, too.

I just don't think this engine is picky, or has unusual requirements. That leaves a lot of good choices for you. Don't worry too much.

Last edited:
You do realize this was a meme bee posting and not a peer reviewed paper? You do also realize that thatmposters stance has changed somewhat since that was originally posted? He has a good theory about base oil viscosity but again, it is purely mathematical and lacks actual testing to prove the hypothesis at hand.
The best standard we have is HTHS viscosity. Relying on DR Haas type of posts. While intriguing, is not science.

Tell us why to "you" think HTHS " is an unreliable measure. Of film strength and thickness?

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by kschachn

One of the million mile Tundras used 0w-20 oil. There are many, many Tundras running around with way over 100,000 and 200,000 miles that have only used 0w-20 oil.

The same usual suspects always posts in these threads. 10 years from now you two will be posting that instead of 0w-8 or 0w-16 oil everyone should be running 0w-20 because of MOFT and HTHS.

Read and UNDERSTAND ALL of the first post in this thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../moft-hthsv-vii-and-wear-its-complicated

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

This is indicative of most of your posts. Why it has anything to do with the "same usual suspects" posting I have no clue, the same thing could be said for what PowerSurge usually posts.

Why isn't it about technical accuracy? A higher grade of oil will have a higher MOFT and this is king when it comes to "protection". Please explain how that statement is incorrect.

Please also respond to what Bryanccfshr posts in this thread, I'm not the only one here.

You two need to prove the increased wear in a 5.7 liter Tundra engine that has ran 0w-20 against one that has ran a thicker oil. Or any other modern engine for that matter. And I'm talking about actual tear downs where main bearings, piston rings, etc. are compared under the same conditions. We can all read comparisons of oil and MOFT and HTHS figures produced from a lab, but does that ACTUALLY show up in less wear on an actual engine used in real world conditions?

Let's see it. I really am curious to see proof. Like I've stated before. If someone can show me tests done like stated above that show higher engine wear because of 0w-20 I will stop running it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back