Toyo Celsius - anyone using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think about a winter tire, and these "all weather" tires look to be a pretty nice idea for someone that lives in a climate that doesn't see a whole lot of snowfall. I'm getting tired of burning through dedicated winter tires in a few seasons for the 4-5 days a year they are actually needed. I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences with the Toyo Celsius.

My parents use them on their 2016 Forester. They've had Xice's on their CRV before and were happy with the Celsius in the first winter atleast. CR tests have them up there with many winter only tires in their tests, and while I haven't measured them, they look like they are wearing slowly this summer. The real test will be how they do in the snow at 8/32 down to 5/32's.
Anytime I drive their car it feels/sounds like all season tires as well.

Have a set on my mom's 2004 XC70. Good traction, not loud on highway, and decent fuel economy. However, treadwear is terrible. The fronts are more than 1/3 worn after barely 6k miles, though the rears are better. Will only get a few years from them before the tread is low enough to cause issues in rain or snow, despite the car's relatively low usage. Softer rubber to boost cold performance leads to shorter life.

It's a compromise where the snow tires extend the life of the summer tires while giving better performance in cold conditions, not just snow and ice. Do some quick calculations on how much extra wear you'd put on a single set of all weather tires vs spreading the wear over two sets. For both my car and my dad's Subaru, it comes out as a wash.

Originally Posted By: novadude
I'm starting to think about a winter tire, and these "all weather" tires look to be a pretty nice idea for someone that lives in a climate that doesn't see a whole lot of snowfall. I'm getting tired of burning through dedicated winter tires in a few seasons for the 4-5 days a year they are actually needed. I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences with the Toyo Celsius.

I have Nokian WRG on my Subaru and been very happy with them, when the time comes to replace the tires on my RX350 I'll go with Celcius as Nokian WRG doesn't come in my size. Neighbour has Hankook all weather and has been very happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back