Towing lawn cart with a mower

How capable are smaller riding mowers of towing a roughly 400 lbs load in a lawn cart across flat ground? I move firewood across my yard in a cart which I move by hand. It's quite a workout and I wouldn't mind some motorized assistance. I only have 1/3 acre to cut for grass so I'm not in the market for a big garden tractor. My parents have a 30" rear engine rider they only mow with. Could something that size do the job? I see that most of the small riders are hydrostatic transmission, while Snapper is disc drive. Are either of these capable enough for my use?

Huge excavators all use hydrostatic motors to drive the tracks, its a well proven system. The only problem with these garden tractor transmissions, is the over use of aluminum. 400 lbs is not much especially on flat ground. The small JD tractor weighs about 500 lbs, then if the operator weighs
another 400 it would be pulling that weight. Go figure.

What mower do you have?
Right now I just have a 21" push mower. I've tried out the rear engine rider (I think it's a Craftsman) and liked the maneuverability. I just wasn't sure if something that size could move some firewood without being overloaded.

The home center lawn tractors will often have smaller transmissions that create a weak point in an otherwise good mower. My Husqvarna 54" is a good example. The supposedly "sealed for life" unit on mine required the transaxle to be removed and serviced at 250 hrs. Its better after the service but it still is weak when the weather gets real hot. I hoped when I bought it from my brother (with less than 50 hrs on it, it was bigger than he needed for his size lawn) that I would be able to use it to push snow in the winter but figured it would destroy it due to the wimpy trans.

In real life what would probably happen is it would work great then you'd load bigger and bigger loads into the trailer until you break something. How much room do you have? Do you have room for a "beater" mower maybe one without a deck, golf cart, ATV, etc?

If the 30 inch rider is only about 15-16 horsepower, I wouldn't do it. Why not search your local sources for a used lawn or garden tractor? Maybe one with a bad mower deck that someone wants to unload. Years ago I had a 30 inch Jacobsen rider, and I would NOT have used that to tow 400 pounds in a cart.

Last edited:
Instead of a lawn cart. A HF trailer with bigger tires would roll easier with the bigger tires and actual bearings. A lawn tractor with a gear shifter would be a better choice than hydrostatic.

Instead of a lawn cart. A HF trailer with bigger tires would roll easier with the bigger tires and actual bearings. A lawn tractor with a gear shifter would be a better choice than hydrostatic.
be lucky if it was even hydro, some are belt drive or friction disk (at least the older ones were)

Your advise is overly general. For example the shaft driven hydro in my deere 316 I would take over 95% of belt driven "geared" tractors

hes not getting a big tractor there wont be a real clutch etc.

He really needs to find specific tractor then ask or research it.
If the 30 inch rider is only about 15-16 horsepower, I wouldn't do it. Why not search your local sources for a used lawn or garden tractor? Maybe one with a bad mower deck that someone wants to unload. Years ago I had a 30 inch Jacobsen rider, and I would NOT have used that to tow 400 pounds in a cart.

Its not the HP. I had a deere 212 12 hp and I could tow a 1000lb trailer with it no issue.. but that was a garden tractor.. so alot beefier than a "lawn (mowing) tractor"

FWIW he just wanted a pulling tractor there are deere 200 series here without deck for under $400 but of course you have to be a little handy with the repairs if needed.

I pull a Gorilla wagon with my Gravely ZT. Potted trees for planting, bags o' manure, etc......

It does fine with a few hundred pounds..........400 might be a tall order. Uphill, limited traction..........other factors.............gonna be an issue for me with a ZT.

I use to pull a 200lb water filled lawn roller on a vintage Snapper ride on with a 8hp motor with belt driven tranny. It did the job but perhaps you can always consider multiple trips if your rider is laboring and slipping with the weight.

I pull a Gorilla wagon with my Gravely ZT. Potted trees for planting, bags o' manure, etc......

It does fine with a few hundred pounds..........400 might be a tall order. Uphill, limited traction..........other factors.............gonna be an issue for me with a ZT.
John Deere limits the towed weight on their ZTs to 250 lbs. The lawn tractors(all models) are rated to pull a load equal to the combined weight of the tractor, operator, and any ballast weights attached.

Ed

I dont think you will have trouble on flat ground but since the tractor is faster and much easier I would cut the load in half just for insurance. A good friction drive can be very strong.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. Small compact and easy to maneauver for the grass but strong enough to replace my back and legs pulling firewood around.

What are the failure modes for the different transmission types if overloaded? I know disc drive will slip the disc, I guess belt driven gear would slip the belt, but not sure on hydrostatic. I have a snowblower with disc drive which makes me want to somehow rig up the cart and see if it could move the load without slipping.

I burn wood all winter and move blocks around in a cart with whatever is hooked to the trailer - 2003 13.5HP Murray riding mower or Honda Rancher.

Never had an issue moving the trailer with the Mower. I moved a spare AMC 2.5L 4 cylinder last year and don't remember any difficulty.

How capable are smaller riding mowers of towing a roughly 400 lbs load in a lawn cart across flat ground? I move firewood across my yard in a cart which I move by hand. It's quite a workout and I wouldn't mind some motorized assistance. I only have 1/3 acre to cut for grass so I'm not in the market for a big garden tractor. My parents have a 30" rear engine rider they only mow with. Could something that size do the job? I see that most of the small riders are hydrostatic transmission, while Snapper is disc drive. Are either of these capable enough for my use?

I landed a Deere LT150 last spring. It is a hydrostatic transmission. This year for Christmas the wife bought me a Deere 10P "yard cart". We love it for trimming the gardens/bushes, spreading mulch and fetching firewood for camping. I loaded it up with dirt as well when we did a patio earlier this year. On flat ground a small 15 to 20HP model would probably ok, in hills not so much. My LT150 has a 38" deck. I really bought it to pull the aerator and trailer, but it makes mowing our 1/3 acre easier as well.

Older model, good lawn tractors can be had on Craigslist. Be patient and one will pop up. I personally would stick with Deere. Parts are still available for my 2002 at the local dealer!

Just my $0.02

Back