Towing in OD - 2004 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
There are 5.4 2Vs with 4R70/4R75s. The 5.4 trans got a better planetary set than the 4.6 trucks. A lot of guys when building up 4R70s for high horsepower cars (650+ rwhp) hunt down 4R70s out of 5.4 trucks for that reason.

You can read about it here: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/index.shtml

Take some time because it is a HUGE article.

Was it just in the Expedition that the 5.4L option meant you got the 4R100 then?

I must confess, I had assumed (stupid) that it applied to the F-150 as well.

I'm not really sure how they decided which 5.4s got 4R70 and which got 4R100. I've seen both in F150s, not sure about the Expedition.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I discovered two years ago that you can make a non lock convertor much more efficient than a lockup. I'm running a non lockup convertor for the first time in the 15 years I've owned the car and it's awesome. It's only got 2-3% slip at WOT above it's stall rpm. One thing I really like is it allows a turbo car to spool the turbo much easier on the line without torturing the convertor. It doesn't grab much at all under the stall speed and then grabs very efficiently as it approaches the stall speed. It's great for a car like mine that would have trouble building enough boost to get the convertor to it's stall speed. Now those pesky Mustangs can't play the game where they leave me sitting at the line on full boost heating the intercooler up while they take their time to stage.
48.gif

For the converter clutch to hold that kind of power you need either a multi-disc with high carbon clutches or a setup like this Cobra has, which is basically a 4R100 PSD TCC setup with high carbon clutches. There are 800-900 rwhp cars with this setup going 8s locking up at WOT.

Regarding efficiency, WOT lockup gives you 0% slip, and the ability to run whatever stall speed your combo calls for without much regard for coupling efficiency on the big end. A non lockup converter can never be as efficient as a properly setup lock up converter. We've been down this road, got into numerous debates over this very topic with guys in the local scene. After the doubters have seen this 4R70 with lockup in action, people are wanting to ditch their non lockup TH400s for this setup.

I discovered two years ago that you can make a non lock convertor much more efficient than a lockup. I'm running a non lockup convertor for the first time in the 15 years I've owned the car and it's awesome. It's only got 2-3% slip at WOT above it's stall rpm. One thing I really like is it allows a turbo car to spool the turbo much easier on the line without torturing the convertor. It doesn't grab much at all under the stall speed and then grabs very efficiently as it approaches the stall speed. It's great for a car like mine that would have trouble building enough boost to get the convertor to it's stall speed. Now those pesky Mustangs can't play the game where they leave me sitting at the line on full boost heating the intercooler up while they take their time to stage.
48.gif

For the converter clutch to hold that kind of power you need either a multi-disc with high carbon clutches or a setup like this Cobra has, which is basically a 4R100 PSD TCC setup with high carbon clutches. There are 800-900 rwhp cars with this setup going 8s locking up at WOT.

Regarding efficiency, WOT lockup gives you 0% slip, and the ability to run whatever stall speed your combo calls for without much regard for coupling efficiency on the big end. A non lockup converter can never be as efficient as a properly setup lock up converter. We've been down this road, got into numerous debates over this very topic with guys in the local scene. After the doubters have seen this 4R70 with lockup in action, people are wanting to ditch their non lockup TH400s for this setup.

Of course, you will never get the 100% coupling with a non lock convertor. I should've been more clear, the non lock convertors are more efficient with both convertors being unlocked. What I really like about this one is it only has 2-3% slip on the big end.

The convertor I have probably wouldn't be of interest to a large displacement or supercharged car. It's awesome for my setup because with any of the other convertors I ran I would have to sit at the line with the pedal to the floor and slowly get to full boost. That's the problem with a small V6 and a large turbo, getting a convertor that's loose enough to allow the turbo to spool without being too loose up top. The non lock I have feels like it's looser than it really is during street driving when you first let off the brake and touch the gas as it sort of does nothing and then grabs all at once.

What I had been doing for years was running a loose 3,500-3,800 stall lockup but it just wasn't very street friendly and the car is first and foremost a street car. I know this sounds backwards, claiming that a non lockup has better street manners. I now run a tight 2,800 stall partially due to new turbo technology and partially because of the "looseness" under 2,800rpm.

Again, I realize something like this is practically useless to the V8 crowd and a moderate stall with lockup is more practical.

That Cobra I've been referencing has a 3500 rpm coverter, unlocked it honestly acts just like any of the high dollar non-lockup converters I've seen in TH400 cars. Loose as a goose until it reaches coupling speed at around 3500. Lock it up at 5000 rpm in 2nd, it brings the revs down a few hundred rpm (and load goes through the roof) and it feels like it feels like it just got sprayed with a 75 shot. I'm just a huge fan of lockup converters.

A good friend of mine has a 4200 rpm stall (PI Stallion multi-disc) in N/A Mustang and that thing will flash to the moon unlocked. With a good custom converter, you can stall it pretty much any way you want and still have lockup.

That Cobra I've been referencing has a 3500 rpm coverter, unlocked it honestly acts just like any of the high dollar non-lockup converters I've seen in TH400 cars. Loose as a goose until it reaches coupling speed at around 3500. Lock it up at 5000 rpm in 2nd, it brings the revs down a few hundred rpm (and load goes through the roof) and it feels like it feels like it just got sprayed with a 75 shot. I'm just a huge fan of lockup converters.

Understood. That kind of proves my point, you say when you lock it, it brings the revs down a few hundred rpm. Mine should have only 50-70rpm worth of slip when fully coupled.

Again, it's not something the V8 guys would be interested in, it's just looser than the normal lockup convertor and couples all at once at the stall speed helping the turbo cars out.

Understood. That kind of proves my point, you say when you lock it, it brings the revs down a few hundred rpm. Mine should have only 50-70rpm worth of slip when fully coupled.

150-300 rpm depending on what rpm you lock it.

Most of these non lockup converters are trading off torque multiplication (stall to torque) to achieve their higher coupling efficiency. They are forced to compromise because of their lack of lockup. A lockup converter can be built with lower stall ratio and higher coupling efficiency, but they don't need to because they rely on the TCC on the big end.

I would think a lockup converter would be most beneficial to a turbo car for the simple reason that it provides the maximum load.

Case in point, my buddy with the 4200 stall Mustang used to have a turbo 95 GT with a trans setup similar to the Whipple Cobra, but the turbo car had a 4000 rpm lockup converter. It was a stock short block, stock cam car, just a set of TFS TWs and a Edelbrock Performer RPM and 64mm turbo. It was a full weight, full interior car and it only made 485 rwhp (with lockup) but would run 10.6s @ 130 mph on 17" rims. I know 650 rwhp turbo Cobras with non lockup TH400 setups that only do 3-4 tenths quicker with comparable weight and setups.

I'm terrible at expressing this stuff.

If it makes sense, I can get away with a lower stall rating yet get better spool when sitting on the line on the brake. This is also a $1,000 convertor without the clutch.

For instance, your convertor may stall at 3,000rpm with the gas to the floor and say 400hp. If I ran the same convertor and put my foot to the floor it may only stall at 2,500 because I'm only making 150hp until the boost hits. At 2,500 it will have a very hard time getting boost and will spool very slowly until it's making enough power to flash the convertor. This one feels almost like it's in neutral until it hits the rated stall speed.

You're right about the load. In stock form, I picked up an unbelievable 4mph in the 1/4 by installing a switch that locked the convertor in 2nd and 3rd.

I've been out of the game for several years, not really paying attention to the new stuff, just trying to have fun and keep my junk from breaking. Maybe the new lockup convertors offer both the efficiency and the lockup advantage now.

Out of curiosity, are the Vigillante or 9/11 convertors popular in the Ford camp?

PI and a couple small converter operations (like Circle D and The Converter Shop) are the popular outfits for lockup converters in the Ford world right now.

That converter in the Whipple Cobra with the PSD (monster high carbon single disc, it's actually stronger than the small diameter multi disc setups) TCC setup came from TCS.

I'm not really sure how they decided which 5.4s got 4R70 and which got 4R100. I've seen both in F150s, not sure about the Expedition.

I believe, early on (1997,1998,1999), the towing package and/or the off road package and the 5.4 got you the 4R100 transmission with extra trans cooler and engine oil cooler. My 1998 F150 has both those options and does have the 4R100. Somewhere around 2000, Ford started putting the smaller trans behind the 5.4. A relative of mine has a 2000 F150 with the 5.4 and it has the 4R70. I have lost track of the latest generation of F150s - 2004 +.

At to the original poster, with that small load, I wouldn't even worry about it unless the transmission started hunting between 3 and 4th gears. I have pulled two place snowmobile trailers, which are around 1500lb loaded in OD without an issue.

Originally Posted By: Junior

I believe, early on (1997,1998,1999), the towing package and/or the off road package and the 5.4 got you the 4R100 transmission with extra trans cooler and engine oil cooler. My 1998 F150 has both those options and does have the 4R100. Somewhere around 2000, Ford started putting the smaller trans behind the 5.4. A relative of mine has a 2000 F150 with the 5.4 and it has the 4R70. I have lost track of the latest generation of F150s - 2004 +.

At to the original poster, with that small load, I wouldn't even worry about it unless the transmission started hunting between 3 and 4th gears. I have pulled two place snowmobile trailers, which are around 1500lb loaded in OD without an issue.

FWIW, that's what all three of our EB Expedition's have had. The 5.4L with the 4R100 and the trans and oil coolers. They also all have the big Reese hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back