"Tow Pig" build

What a neat build! Your stuff is industrial art. I used to work for a guy building septic systems. He towed a 4wd John Deere back hoe with a '68 Chevy K20 with a 307. He used Low range a lot.:cool:

Good question! Can't ask a Turbo Diesel owner to accept stock 6.0L gasoline power levels, We discussed supercharging a stock LQ4....But the cost would exceed stroking one.

I figured as much. I thought it sounded like the guy was strapped for cash or something. Cool build, regardless.

What are you using for assembly lube on the crank?

It is a serious question, I usually use something like Mellings or other red assy lube or Molykote Gn, I have not seen this one, if Chris is using it he has had some good experience with it.

Reactions: JC1
It is a serious question, I usually use something like Mellings or other red assy lube or Molykote Gn, I have not seen this one, if Chris is using it he has had some good experience with it.

I usually use white lithium grease on big engines, and I’ve used it on smaller engines too. Always worked great. In that picture it looks like it could be some type of white grease

Nice work Cline. Seems like you are getting a lot of big jobs. Are you putting in a ton of hours every week, or do you have to turn away some jobs?
Lots of hours & working everyday, Fall & Winter is when I do bigger-more time consuming jobs.

Will be interesting how it turns out. I've only read about yesteryear's gas motors and they all seemed to be low compression. So I wonder how well a built motor will work under heavy continuous towing duty.
The L96 6.0L used in HD trucks has a 9.7:1 CR. I'm not constrained with EPA certifications.......Which gives me A LOT tuning/calibration options.

No sir, 5,500 is about fast as you can spin a Allison 1000. Cubic Inches gobble up Cam Duration.....But the LSA is pretty wide, It will have plenty of low end torque!
How heavy is he towing? I have yet to see that type of RPM in my bone stock 6.0/6L90E towing 7800ish lbs. It will be nice when done that is for sure. Thought about a cam for the truck, but I don't really need it and can't justify for what I do with it.

I use a 2 1/2 ton M36A2 military truck as a tow pig..

Slower than molasses, but stable, and burns anything (multifuel engine)

Lubriplate 105 engine assembly grease.

I have heard of them but their products are rare here I would say almost non existent. Thanks I will look into it, is this similar to trans assy lube that just liquefies in the oil and causes no contamination as a grease might?

Wow, impressive - gives me ideas for my LQ9 6.0L in my Sierra Denali lol!!

I have heard of them but their products are rare here I would say almost non existent. Thanks I will look into it, is this similar to trans assy lube that just liquefies in the oil and causes no contamination as a grease might?

You'll need to drain the oil "Hot" after the initial break-in, Don't leave it in the sump.

Sir, that is some beautiful work there. One question: Why did you decide to go with the 317 heads? I ask because I am planning an LQ4 build for my old Nova, and am looking at using the old 823 heads off of my Denali that I swapped out last year.

What’s involved with the initial engine break in procedure? Thank you and wouldn’t mind seeing pics of the truck if you can.

Sir, that is some beautiful work there. One question: Why did you decide to go with the 317 heads? I ask because I am planning an LQ4 build for my old Nova, and am looking at using the old 823 heads off of my Denali that I swapped out last year.
My guess is to keep compression at a manageable level, (317's have large chambers) but I will let Cline speak for himself.

I'm glad I found this thread. Really cool build! Thanks for sharing it with us, and answering our questions!

Back