touch screen + mouse pad

looking into a HDD for my HP 17 lappy + also checking new laptops + NOT wanting a touch screen BUT if theres ALSO a touch pad thats fine! DELL has some deals ending soon + an inspiron 16 5625 looks good with many "goodies" but listed having a touch screen + the info on it also says touchpad, so does it have BOTH?? thanks in advance + i appreciate ALL i learn on these forums!!

The touch screen and touch pad are two different topics.

The touch screen is the screen itself. I agree, not a huge fan on laptops.

The touch pad is the mouse, mandatory.

I have been using a Vostro 15" for a year and a half, no touch screen, the touch pad isn't horrible. I usually use a regular mouse, but I don't hate this touch pad as much as I hate other touch pads.

ordered the 16" dell 5625 lappy last night but only today was i assured it was a touch screen, + being used to a touch pad my choice dell said i could return it for a full refund $$. searching i discovered plug in touch pads!! searching says i can deactivate the screen if i want too + use a plug in touchpad + seeing how good the DISCOUNTED dell looks to be i may get a touchpad. i am accustomed to touchpads + my experience with a touchscreen while donating blood was NOT good, live + learn!! not the most economical but at 75 YO the dell would prolly be my last i need or want!!

A touch screen is optional on that model. There are four choices for the display and only one is touch sensitive. The one with the best resolution is not touch sensitive. If you were talking with the sales person in the same confusing way your write here and kept saying "touch screen" they may have assumed that you did want the touch screen.

All versions have a built in conventional touch pad below the keyboard. So there is no need for external touch pad. A standard USB mouse (corded or wireless) could also be used.

Last edited:
I was using a Lenovo with both as a work computer. But I've never heard of it called a "touch pad". The traditional name was always "trackpad". I almost never used the screen. I don't particularly like getting fingerprints. And for the most part I preferred to use a wireless mouse anyways.

thanks for the reply. i talked to a dell rep + she did NOT seem too savy + after a hold just said it had a touch screen BUT did not mention the track pad use as well. if thats the case i will keep it after checking how to do a return with dell. did not want to even open it if not necessary to actually see if its track pad works. searching for plug in track pads notes disabling the touch screen, guess i will carefully open it as to not cause a return issue if needed! thanks again! i wanted the 5620 with a track pad that had lower specs + slightly lower cost but they sold out on the same "special" the 5625 is on which expires SOON!

There is absolutely no question that that laptop has a track pad, touchpad, whatever. The touchscreen is a bonus. The track/touch pad is a necessity. It has one. Don't worry about it.

thanks again bottom feeder! the specs + price looks great as do other features at a good price so i was hoping to keep it!! returns can be a hassle so i want it to be a keeper! cant understand why the dell reps seem to not be very savy, that would save a lot of returns or people ordering what they dont really want or need!! i am not very geeky but just read + compare specs while looking up what they really mean, learning on the way!!

For future reference, this is a track pad, aka a touch pad. Every laptop has them.

1689868422838.jpg

sent back my unopened dell 5625 with the touch screen when i seen the 5625 now offered without almost the same with slightly lower specs that are more than i need + better than i ever had! plenty of good stuff i wanted with a little wait as they are just being built i assume. just like a simple touch pad + reading about touch screens they are something i dont want or need. i thank everyone for their input as i continue to learn!!

You want the Option Three display, which is better than what they were offering at the special price. It has more pixels (called 3K), anti-glare surface, and is not a touch screen.

That was not a choice on the page to order one but it is listed in the specifications.

I'm teetering on upgrading from my old Toshiba Satellite, so I took a look at this thread.
However, product #, or it's clearance sales price, no longer available on Dell website.

Back