Total Ineo Quartz vs Mobil 1 ESP (VW 507.00)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to start an oil war, but I've been running Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5w30 because it meets the same certs of Mobil1 ESP and is a little cheaper (online sources may vary). One thing I do not know is the NOACK of the Motul. It could be on par with M1, or M1 may be a little better. I just prefer Motul since it comes in liters; since my car needs 5.5 liters or 5.81 quarts, it's just easier for me to measure, lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nolesfan
Not to start an oil war, but I've been running Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5w30 because it meets the same certs of Mobil1 ESP and is a little cheaper (online sources may vary). One thing I do not know is the NOACK of the Motul. It could be on par with M1, or M1 may be a little better. I just prefer Motul since it comes in liters; since my car needs 5.5 liters or 5.81 quarts, it's just easier for me to measure, lol.

Hah, actually my only gripe about M1 is that it ONLY comes in single quart bottles. Refilling those with dirty oil is too much effort (luckily the 2.5 gal DEF containers work well for that), but still - more effort to ship, more effort for me to pour, and more plastic waste. Maybe I can find it in 5 gallon pails...

EDIT:
I stopped by the dealer to pick up an oil filter for the TDI, and they were not much help. They said they only use Castrol, and its actually reasonably priced at $8.60 a quart, higher than the $7.4/qt of the Total Quartz Ineo, and about the same price as the Mobil 1.
The parts guy had never heard of Total and assumed it was an "off brand" oil and immediately said to use "a name brand oil". So I basically discounted any information he gave me previously, lol. He also said that the 507 spec Castrol was better than Mobil 1 ESP but gave absolutely no rhyme or reason

I only hope he gave me the right oil filter based on the above, haha
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
The only spec that M1 really has over Total is dexos2, which is not a terribly stringent spec. I believe Total has a higher starting TBN.

It does have higher TBN. Most actually do more then M1 ESP. ESP has lowest sulfated ash level at 0.6 and with very low NOACK it actually helps to extend DPF life.

So I just did the oil change on the TDI last night, filter was correct thankfully.

The dang EA288 is thirsty though, I took out about 5.5 quarts, and put in closer to 5.8 quarts and it STILL just barely made it halfway up the dipstick (I think that is safe, right)?

I had to put in about .5 quart of Mobil 1 ESP because I didn't have enough of the Total on hand (exact reason why I want to standardize and buy in bulk). I guess the 5.5 Liters (6 quarts) oil capacity figure is accurate
smile.gif

Anyway, I doubt it will be detrimental, the M1 ESP is more dark in color and the Total is lighter in color. Impossible to tell any difference with the naked eye anyways. I just ordered 3 more bottles of the Total, Jetta sounds fine with it in there.

Last edited:
I like you have two 2015 TDI's. Unlike you, I endeavor to buy the oil that meets the 505/507 spec that has the best measured attributes cost not a factor. I am leaning toward Ravenol or M1 ESP next time. 6 Quarts brings the oil close to the top of the hatch on the dipstick.

My local Napa now has (special order) Valvoline Synpower XL III C3 5w30 which also has the Porsche C30 and VW 507 on the spec sheet.
Made in the Netherlands, not that much info out there. Really good price for 5 gallons, $135 before tax which works out to $33.75 per 5 quarts (sticking with my earlier measurement). Looks like it is "common" in Europe. I feel like Total Quartz is worth the $2 more.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VCA881058

https://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/...xl-iii_c3_5w-30

SynPower XL-III C3 Motor Oil
SAE Viscosity Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, mm2 /s @ 100 ºC. ASTM D-445 -- 11.9
Viscosity, mm2 /s @ 40 ºC. ASTM D-445 -- 68
Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270 -- 173
Viscosity, mPa.s –30°C.
ASTM D-5293 -- TBN, mg KOH/g ASTM D-2896 -- 6,2
Pour Point, ºC ASTM D-5949 -- -48ºC
Specific Gravity @ 15.6°C. ASTM D-4052 -- 0.852
Flash Point, COC, ºC. ASTM D-92 -- 214

Approvals
BMW LL-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche C30
VW 50400/50700*

"Formulated for VW Euro 4 and 5 engines with
DPF technology (Diesel Particulate Filter).
The product replaces virtually all VW
specifications and is suitable for engines with
WIV system, for extra long drain intervals up
to 30.000 Km. or 2 years.
Can be used in modern VW, AUDI, Seat and
Skoda gasoline and diesel engines."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back