Toshiba HIR Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nightvision not being what it once was, I began researching brighter headlights quite some time ago. I was very interested in these HIR bulbs, and read several promising articles from reputable sources in addition to speaking with the experts at Daniel Stern Lighting. Guys in several other car forums have raved about these for a while now. So, I purchased a set of the 9012 bulbs and swapped them out for the 9006 Sylvania XtraVisions I had installed last year.

I am very impressed. I can tell you they are considerably better and brighter than anything else I've tried. Reflective street signs light up for several blocks, and the visibility is so good, you expect to have people flash their brights at you.

They rate the low beams to be 87% brighter than a standard halogen, and I can believe it. I've had them in for quite some time, and so far no one has ever flashed their brights as of yet. These are installed in our 2 newer Park Avenues. I picked up a set for my neighbors vehicle, as well as my father's, and they are all very happy. Proper headlight alignment is important, but that goes without saying.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I liked these bulbs so much I bought a bunch of them on our fleet account, and am giving them away as Christmas presents to family. I have a few extra that I'll sell to BITOG members for $28 each with free shipping. First come first serve until they are gone. That's the lowest price I've seen anywhere, unless something has changed. I've been a BITOG member since 2002, and have you can use paypal if it's convenient. PM me if you are interested, as I only have a few left. Hope this helps. Scott
patriot.gif

FYI:

Call your local John Deere dealer. Part number for low beams is AH211917. This is the same Toshiba HIR bulb!! Range in price from $10-$13 EACH. Got mine for $11.19 SHIPPED to my door. They are found on 9000 series tractor. Will still have to get high beam elsewhere.

nyr197, how much did you pay for the HIR 9012? I did not see any HIR on his website!

Thanks

Quote:

nyr197, how much did you pay for the HIR 9012? I did not see any HIR on his website!

Thanks

I paid $27 each. He was very helpful and informative. I absolutely love these bulbs, and I will never go back to those awful silverstars again!

I'll add my comments here. I'm using the HIR high beams in my '94 3000GT VR4 (projector housings) and they're significantly brighter than the Sylvania Silverstars they replaced.

Max

Great find Scooby, I'm going to order those up.

Does anyone know if the 9012 bulbs are any longer then the 9006? Also why isn't the end covered like the 9006?

-T

These bulbs literally transformed the lighting in my 98 RAV4 and 01 PT Cruiser. They are by far the best bulbs ever invented for these dual bulb vehicles. They are no longer than standard bulbs. They get their extra output by reflecting the IR light back to the filiment. GE sells a ton of these IR reflecting bulbs for industrial lighting applications. I highly recommend them if you have well focused light units.

Richard.

Anyone been able to get these through your John Deere dealer? I have had them on order at two dealers since early January and no luck. They are back ordered. I did puchase one in a small town in December.

Quote:

FYI:

Call your local John Deere dealer. Part number for low beams is AH211917. This is the same Toshiba HIR bulb!! Range in price from $10-$13 EACH. Got mine for $11.19 SHIPPED to my door. They are found on 9000 series tractor. Will still have to get high beam elsewhere.

I just picked up a John Deere AH211917 bulb which is the Toshiba HIR 9011 for $9.99 from my John Deere Farm Implement dealer. i has a black tip and is made in the USA. The first AH11917 I purchased in Decemebr 06 was made in china and did not have a black tip. Any idea why?

Odd, the 9011(high beam) shouldn't need the black tip. Are both bulbs round like the ones shown on the first page?

I ordered some 9012s from my local dealer but they are still on back order.

Actually the black tip is only the very end (pointed area) not a "cap" like covering. Doubt if it makes any difference. Just an observation on my part.

i purchased mine from a local john deere dealer.

took 2 days.

cost? $11 shouldn't be on backorder.

mine a chinese made.

They sure are/were in Kentucky and apparently other parts of the US. I was told it was a national backorder. I suspect they are just now becoming available again.

How are you guys modifying these? I would like to get my dad into a set of them, but don't know what kind of modifications the John Deere bulbs need.

You have to trim a tab to match the old bulb. I used a Dremel with a small cut-off wheel and a knife. I made a paper template from the old bulb so it would be fairly close. Others have used hobby knives or box-cutters to trim excess away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back