Toshiba HIR Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like John Deere caught on, I just checked the price on their site and it is 23.99 USD for a light. Did anyone else have a price change?

I saw that same price online, but when I just called the store it was $9.99. Still haven't gotten a call back, I'll have to try to call this week.

Picked it up today. I called earlier this week and they put it as an "emergency", not sure if that helped or not. 9.99 was the price.

Ahh finally a competitor for the h9 bulb. I'll continue to run my h9 bulbs as they're plug and play and for use on lows I get 2000 lumens or so @ 12.8v. I don't remember the exact #s but at highway driving voltages lumen output of the h9 is upwards and over 2500lumens
smile.gif

You can pick up an H7 bulb built with an upgraded H9 globe. I have them in my vehicle built for H7's and they work as advertised. Not cheap but they are brighter and focus well in the unit designed for the H7.

Richard.

I received My Toshiba 9012 bulbs from Daniel Stern on Tuesday. have a hevy Avalanche and the stock low beams fall into the 'I can't believe it's legal to sell a vehicle with such bad headlights' category.
I wasn't able to install them until today (Saturday) and I've just come back from adjusting them and taking them for a test drive on the freeway and the 'back twisties'.
I am very pleased.
The quantity and color of light is very good. The beam pattern has a good foreground 'spread', wide side-to-side' dispersion of the 'hot spot' and a very tightly contolled upper cutoff.
I found I was able to run them about a degree higher (2 inches at 24 ft.) than the stock bulbs, without causing offence, because of the sharp cutoff...

And
approved.gif
now I can see properly on my low beams at night.
banana.gif
cheers.gif

Quote:

I received My Toshiba 9012 bulbs from Daniel Stern on Tuesday. have a hevy Avalanche and the stock low beams fall into the 'I can't believe it's legal to sell a vehicle with such bad headlights' category.
I wasn't able to install them until today (Saturday) and I've just come back from adjusting them and taking them for a test drive on the freeway and the 'back twisties'.
I am very pleased.
The quantity and color of light is very good. The beam pattern has a good foreground 'spread', wide side-to-side' dispersion of the 'hot spot' and a very tightly contolled upper cutoff.
I found I was able to run them about a degree higher (2 inches at 24 ft.) than the stock bulbs, without causing offence, because of the sharp cutoff...

The cutoff is totally a product of the lens and/or reflector. These bulbs should not produce a significantly different beam pattern from your original bulbs. What they will do is fill out that pattern more fully since the output is higher.

Quote:

Quote:

I am very pleased.

The cutoff is totally a product of the lens and/or reflector. These bulbs should not produce a significantly different beam pattern from your original bulbs. What they will do is fill out that pattern more fully since the output is higher.

Then I would suspect that the sharper cutoff (and the more even spread) is a result of correct filament placement in the new bulbs, against sloppily-made cheap 9006 bulbs.
That's interesting, but maybe not surprising.
smile.gif

I'll certainly be sticking with these in future.

OE HIR 9011 & 9012 bulbs are DOT only for headlights designed for them, that said you can take a 9005 and mod it the same way to fit into the 9006 and save $, I did that using a Osram Sylvania 9005XS LL(straight base Long Life) you can see tech specs for different bulbs on our site:

http://www.suvlights.com/information.php?info_id=17

BTW wattages are MAXIMUM allowed to meet the DOT spec, actual wattage is usally 10 watts lower since it achieves the light output spec.

so at 1700 lumens for the HIR 9011 it equals a 65W 9005, and you can get 9005 in a variety of colors including the super white ones

We also have the Philips 9011 which does not have the large bubble capsule the other thing I would be concerned about is whether the glass is UV Block because that can yellow plastic headlight lenses

Pablo, let us know how these go, I have been thinking about these for quite some time, with my drives to north Cali, one needs all the lighting he can get. Switching to high beams is not always an option as to not blind sight the oncoming drivers.

Are you going to have to modify these to make them fit into your Volvo? Or will they fit right in?

Post some before and after pics if you can.

The Dremel made fast work of the tab that needed modifying. You can follow Dan Stern's instructions or just copy the removed bulb.

They installed perfectly and appear brighter in the garage, but the true test will be on the road - Monday AM commute. I won't be able to take any pictures.

Dan Stern is top notch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back