Torx set

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good torx set? I am leaning towards ratchet-type bits unless someone has a good reason to go a different way.

Made in USA is a must, and I want good quality and good fit into the torx sockets, at a decent price. Not sure this buy justifys snap-on, but given what seems to be a general weakness of design in the torx type fastener (little teeth get damaged/stripped easily), perhaps it is more important to get the best.

Suggestions?

Like Tom, get both. I've got places where one or the other works better on my Cherokee, and it's nice to choose the right choice. I've been happy with my Craftsman units, your mileage may vary...

Snap On has the best torx bit set up(socket type),break the bit and the dealer just replaces the bit instead of replacing the whole thing.You pay Snap On's price which is way over priced.Watch out on some and this is on 1998 and up 4L60Es,the torx bit used to remove the retaining bolts holding the bellhousing on are a torx plus.A typical torx bit will fit sloppy.

I got a set of Kobalt torx on special over the Christmas holiday last year. I've been happy with them so far.

Most leave this torx bit out of their sets,T47.Mac is the only one that includes it in their sets.SK is another one that replaces the bit if the bit part breaks.

+1 (or is that 5 :) ) to the SK or Craftsman (same company - Danaher - unless I'm mistaken). There are lot's of Sears stores around in the event of strippage....

Danaher makes Craftsman's tools and also owns Matco tools.Matco better stop doing this,making lies.A rep from Matco came in my father's shop last year and said there was going to be a dealer going around and there was not.There is still not one

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good torx set? I am leaning towards ratchet-type bits unless someone has a good reason to go a different way.

Made in USA is a must, and I want good quality and good fit into the torx sockets, at a decent price. Not sure this buy justifys snap-on, but given what seems to be a general weakness of design in the torx type fastener (little teeth get damaged/stripped easily), perhaps it is more important to get the best.

Suggestions?

IIRC I bought a Leslie set around Christmas from Sears, they fit on a 3/8 rachet. They had them 50% off at the time, so I grabbed standard and metric sizes. Nice tool for the money. HTH

I have the Lesile torx bits, they aren't that bad. You get what you pay for, for removing small fasteners they seem OK. I haven't had to put them up to any major tasks yet.

AD

The T60 I broke was on a GM strut off of an Olds Cutlass Supreme,the caliper mounting bracket.That is one of the worst ones to break loose,using a breaker bar with a cheater bar.I have a couple of the Stanley sets,you can get replacements if one breaks by calling their 1-800 number and they send you a new one.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
The T60 I broke was on a GM strut off of an Olds Cutlass Supreme,the caliper mounting bracket.That is one of the worst ones to break loose,using a breaker bar with a cheater bar.I have a couple of the Stanley sets,you can get replacements if one breaks by calling their 1-800 number and they send you a new one.

Sounds like you stress tested it and it failed. That always seems to happen at the worst time possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back