torque wrench . Clicker vs digital . which one do you use more

I have that one too, I've heard good things about the HF icon but I'd rather have made in USA.
That's true, HF has been upping their game A LOT lately.. But when I found out who actually made the uber-expensive Snap On dual beam torque wrench, I jumped at it! Especially since it was (when I got it) only about $145. Snap on was like $800! too funny, wow.. But the quality of the made in USA Precision Instruments brand is impressive! (y)

http://www.cditorque.com/

When the COVID pandemic hit 3+ years ago, I decided to do some simple maintenance work myself. I bit the bullet and bought 3 CDI torque wrenches because I have issues. They are part of the Snap-On family but at a friendlier price, more suitable for pretend mechanics such as myself. I have them, especially the 1/2" checked for calibration about every 2 years or so since it sits out in the garage.

Beam. Anything else is of unknown accuracy. As long as the pointer starts at zero and moves freely, a beam wrench will be accurate.

The only time I would ever use a digital torque wrench is if I needed to torque something to an angle; otherwise I prefer a clicker.

Precision Instruments 1/2” Split Beam for lug nuts

Snap on Techangle 3/8” (5-125) for everything else. Best tool in my box, imo.

Being here since 2010 - I can now hear and feel everything - therefore these tools are no longer needed … 😷
(I only have beam) …

i have a set of clickers for car stuff. thinking of getting a digital , but not sure how much i would use it i use my clicker for lug nuts mostly and the occasional suspension

So which one do you use more, your clicker or digital ?
Clicker for me. Sometimes things are too tight and dark to be able to read the digital ones.

I use them all. But there are times when a torque must be held to allow a fastener to turn and stretch properly. The click-type is 100% useless for this, as you cannot hold a torque with accuracy. An example of this would be stretch-type head and rod bolts.

Beam or dial type for these applications.

I think you should use whichever you prefer. I believe quality and accuracy is more important than type. And after purchase, consider having your wrench tested and calibrated periodically. Mine are low use, but I still have them checked every 7 or 8 years. Fortunately they stay right within tolerance. I think the Project Farm guy on Youtube had an inexpensive way to confirm torque accuracy/calibration on his channel.

I use the Utical Tools brand clicker type, they are kinda pricy. Paid $300+ for each of them.

Back