Toro Suzuki 2 stroke vs 4 stroke: What would you choose?

Hi, first post on the forum. I have a small solo lawn care business and I have been wanting to upgrade to a self propelled older Toro commercial mower with a Suzuki engine. There's a few for sale around me for a reasonable price, and I'm debating between the 2 stroke and the 4 stroke. What would you recommend? I cut on average 3-4 lawns per week, and occasionally very tall and thick grass, knee high. I'm leaning toward 2 stroke but open to suggestions, thanks.

Attachments

• toro.jpg
    toro.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 62
Welcome to BITOG 🥳

I would suggest either a Honda engine or something electric. There are cordless lawn mowers that are very good, and even the cheap Sun Joes aren't bad. A few electric mowers have a battery storage compartment where you can store more than one battery and just switch them out during the mowing session. They are also much quieter.

Modern 4-stroke small engines require no maintenance, not even oil changes. The engines will outlast any equipment they power.

How big are the lawns you cut the grass on? :unsure:

I had a Toro/Suzuki mower about 15 years ago. They’re a beast of a mower but parts were hard to get then and most likely near impossible now. I sold it and have bought 3 John Deere Kawasaki powered mowers since. 2 JX 75 green deck and 1 14SB (parts mower) all with the Tuff Torq 5 speed self propel trans and pressure lubed with oil filters Kawasaki 170V 6 hp engines with blade brake clutches. Though NLA you can still get parts through JD. IMO the best walk behind mowers ever built.

Last edited:
Honestly if you are going to be using them commercially, neither. They are great mowers, but finding parts for those engines can be challenging, specifically things like ignition coils. I'd buy an older Honda mower (before they had the troublesome hydro transmissions) or a Toro Super Recycler. Like stated above the Kawasaki powered Deere mowers are good, although a bit heavy. Snapper hi-vac mowers are pretty sturdy as well.

If I was using a walk behind mower commercially, reliability and parts availability would be high on my list, but comfort would be as well.

I've heard the ignition coil is hard to find and can cost a fortune for a Suzuki.
If you find a used one on eBay, it doesn't mean one will be available when you need it. Look for one.

We tend to get hung up on the engine like it's the number one thing to consider when buying a 21" gas mower.

If you want a good used commercial 21" mower, don't overlook a Snapper or John Deere 21" mower with a Kawasaki engine as an example.

Honestly if you are going to be using them commercially, neither. They are great mowers, but finding parts for those engines can be challenging, specifically things like ignition coils. I'd buy an older Honda mower (before they had the troublesome hydro transmissions) or a Toro Super Recycler. Like stated above the Kawasaki powered Deere mowers are good, although a bit heavy. Snapper hi-vac mowers are pretty sturdy as well.

If I was using a walk behind mower commercially, reliability and parts availability would be high on my list, but comfort would be as well.
john deere over 100 pounds , je75 best mower i have had by far !

I do lawns with 2 stroke Lawnboy mowers when I can’t fit a larger mower through a gate. 2 strokes are great for slopes too and it’s nice to just bring one mixed gas can with me instead of 2 if I had a 4 stroke mower.

Constantly being surrounded by 2 stroke exhaust smell will get old fast. I still like 2 cycle straight shaft weed eaters as the 4 cycles are too big/heavy for sustained use.

Thanks for the replies. I am not a full time lawn guy, just a college student doing 3-5 yards a week. I will probably look into a newer Toro, these were just on my radar because of cool factor and relatively low price for a commercial mower.

Thanks for the replies. I am not a full time lawn guy, just a college student doing 3-5 yards a week. I will probably look into a newer Toro, these were just on my radar because of cool factor and relatively low price for a commercial mower.

A mid-range cordless electric lawn mower should be good for your use and last through college. If you're not a full-time lawn guy, you don't need a commercial lawn mower.

Kids that cut their neighborhood's grass don't have commercial mowers.

How are you transporting the mower? If you‘re lifting in and out of the back of a truck at every property the 2 stroke will be an advantage. If you’re rolling it up a trailer ramp any mower will do.

Hands down take the 2 stroke. If you use a synthetic 2 stroke oil, fumes or smoke will not be an issue (contrary to what others think).

The Toro/ Suzuki powered 2 stroke mowers are addictive to use. They were the Gold Standard for most landscapers - before the government banned them. The combination of light overall mower weight and surplus torque for tall grass are unbeatable to this day.

A one point a few years ago, I owned the following 2 stroke 21” mowers 1) Snapper with a Wisconsin Robin engine. With the bagger attachment, it had enough suction to pick up a quarter off the ground. 2) Lawn Boy 6 1/2 hp commercial series model 22261 with the big red gas tank and 3) Suzuki powered Toro like one in your photo.

Sold the first two mowers. Kept the last mower and restored to like new condition. It is in the D.C. area in storage and will sell it too for the right (big money) price.

Had a Toro two stroke years ago with the GTS engine. What a machine that was. I sold it to buy a Toro 4 stroke mulcher. Compared to the two stroke, it felt like pushing a tank. I loved that two stroker!

the toro 2 stroke hands down. ihave had several over the course of running my lawn biz. the only problem area is the carb if not keep very clean. never had a single coil failure in 30 years . best 4 stroke is the kawasaki fj180v on a snapper body .or toro stay away from 2 stroke lawnboys. nothing but trouble in comm use. dont buy an old er jdeere like the jx75-the trans always fail. do NOT buy any newer toro with personal pace. they will not handle comm use at all. also avoid bbc on any engine except honda. i only run snappers and toros -after 30 years inthe biz -i know whats best now.

The only items I would want a two cycle would be string trimmers, snow throwers and chain saws. Lawn mowers, only four cycle for me.

Back