Toro SmartStow - Briggs & Stratton Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

New homeowner here, and about to buy my first lawn mower. I've looked at several Honda options because I hear they make some of the best small engines (my wife and I also drive Honda's), but due to storage space, I keep coming back to this Toro Smartstow linked below. What I'd like to know is this - how does the Briggs & Stratton engine on this Toro compare to Honda mower engines in it's price range in terms of reliability? I don't know much about small engines and what to look for, but at least I know just who to ask! Thanks for any opinions!

Toro SmartStow

For reference, here is another mower with a Honda engine that I was looking at:
Craftsman/Honda GCV160

Wow, that's expensive for a B&S mower, but I guess you're paying for the nifty storage technology.

One thing I'd mention is I had a front wheel drive mower and hated it! For whatever reason, the rear-wheel-drive propel better on my fairly steep lawn.

The B&S engines are quite robust - I've never had serious reliability issues with any of my small engines, and most have never had their oil changed :gasp:

If I were buying based on experience would go for a rear wheel drive mower option.

Toro rear wheel drive would be a good choice. Briggs & Stratton engine with normal maintenance will serve you well.

I change the oil in mine a couple of times during the mowing season and the air filter once a mowing season.

Don't overfill with oil.

The Briggs and Stratton Quantum 190CC flat head engine and the Honda GC160 are worlds apart. As far as durability goes, they are both pretty durable and both rated for about 1000 hours, give or take. Both engines have aluminum bores and do not have cast iron cylinder liners. The Briggs has a plastic camshaft. The Honda has a belt driven overhead camshaft. The gears on the Honda camshaft are plastic, and yes they sometimes break if you hit a good stump.

Basically, they are both run of the mill residential mower engines and both will serve you well if you take care of them with basic maintenance. The Honda is a smaller displacement engine, but it is more modern and gets better fuel economy and has about 10% more power.

As far as spending $400 on that big box Toro, that would be a bad buy in my opinion. Slightly used "good equipment" on Craigslist is where you want to go.

Toro Super Recycler for $210. Has an oil filter and cast iron cylinder liner. MUCH more heavy duty than your other two choices.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/4974965503.html

http://southbend.craigslist.org/grd/4931992170.html

I also should add, that I buy used Toro recyclers (very similar to that folding handle one, but without the stowing handles) on Craigslist in good used running condition for $50-$75. Is the smart stow really worth $300 to you? I think that every Toro mower sold in the last 5 or so years has foldable handles that you can easily store in the upright position, which saves space.

That first one you linked is near my new house - maybe I'll give him a call today! You guys think that used one would serve me better than any new one in the $300-350 range? I've never dealt much with small engines so I'm not that comfortable trying to select a used option on my own.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The Briggs and Stratton Quantum 190CC flat head engine and the Honda GC160 are worlds apart. As far as durability goes, they are both pretty durable and both rated for about 1000 hours, give or take. Both engines have aluminum bores and do not have cast iron cylinder liners. The Briggs has a plastic camshaft. The Honda has a belt driven overhead camshaft. The gears on the Honda camshaft are plastic, and yes they sometimes break if you hit a good stump.

Basically, they are both run of the mill residential mower engines and both will serve you well if you take care of them with basic maintenance. The Honda is a smaller displacement engine, but it is more modern and gets better fuel economy and has about 10% more power.

As far as spending $400 on that big box Toro, that would be a bad buy in my opinion. Slightly used "good equipment" on Craigslist is where you want to go.

Toro Super Recycler for $210. Has an oil filter and cast iron cylinder liner. MUCH more heavy duty than your other two choices.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/4974965503.html

http://southbend.craigslist.org/grd/4931992170.html

I also should add, that I buy used Toro recyclers (very similar to that folding handle one, but without the stowing handles) on Craigslist in good used running condition for $50-$75. Is the smart stow really worth $300 to you? I think that every Toro mower sold in the last 5 or so years has foldable handles that you can easily store in the upright position, which saves space.

If storage is that tight, the stowaway Toro is much better today than they were in 2006ish-2013. They ditched the plastic rear drive gear and went back to the old metal one they used previously. The steel deck is also back to the thickness it was in the 90s-early 00s.

Super Recyclers are really nice machines. I'm not as much of a fan of the Intek over say a Vanguard engine, but it will still last. If you can deal with a used mower, go with it. If you really need the space, buy that model from an actual dealer rather than a big box store. You can get it in the $340-$350 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back