Torco vs amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea seen it,and your guy still recommends it? dunno try a fill of it and if you get clutch slippage stop using it..

Well, i'm not worried about clutch slippage really. If it did that he wouldn't have any customers left ! i'm just trying to find reasons to use it or amsoil relating to protection. I doubt a bike oil is going to make the clutch slip regardless of how much moly it has. Whatever it has in it, surely it will work with a wet clucth since it's for that. I think in that article i saw something about how they had to change the moly in a way that would make it work with wet clutches. So I just want to know it will do as good as amsoil at protecting my engine. If i could just know that i'd have no problem going with the Torco. But that amsoil test showed that torco failed on of the more important aspects of the test, and that had me worried.

well it's a amsoil test one would think it would fail against it. The only way to know for sure is do UOA's of each and see, My gut says go with Amsoil, but i'm a syn guy myself.

Maybe, but what made me wonder if it was possibly not biased was that in every other category it matched amsoil point for point. I would have thought they'd not have allowed it to be that close if it were fixed. then again, maybe thats their way of making it look like it's not fixed, and my deduction is proof it worked ! :)

I would bet in real life both oils would give you all the engine life needed. Do a few free oil changes to break in the motor and flush out the breakin crud then try Amsoil you might like it. I really don't think the choice of the two oils will lead the engine to an early grave. M.C. are like girlfriends . A new one is always more exciting for a while.

Going by the White Paper that Ams published (G2156 - temporarily offline) I would not hesitate using the Torco oil - especially since you have the package.

It scored significantly higher overall than RP, Motul, & Lucas.

It is not one area or test that makes a superior oil, it is the total package and while maybe not ranking tops... Torco does sport a great product.

If you didn't have this oil change offer.... I'd go with Ams as it still scored better, and has a similar price. But since you do have this offer.... take advantage of it.

Well, tomorrow i take it in for it's 500 mile service where they dump the cheap dino break in oil and the torco goes in. So i'll see how i feel about it abs instead of waiting for the 6k mile service i may dump the Torco may say 2k and try amsoil and see if i notice anything more positive. I'll have to also ask the dealer where the line is drawn between honoring the warranty and refusing it because i didn't have them service it.If they won't honor the warranty is i do the services myself i may have to let them do torco. then again, i could always consider the torco a crank case/gearbox cleanse and dump it right when i get home from the dealer and use amsoil.

by the way, this leads me to a oil change question...when changing the oil theres always some that you can't get out. the manual speaks of as much as a quart or more. How do you justify that when changing to another brand/type of oil? I hear you aren't supposed to mix oils, yet this is like mixing a quart in with the new oil.

Or:

You could go with the free Torco every 6k, but use Amsoil in between at 3k.

6k, Torco
9k, Amsoil
12k, Torco
15k, Amsoil

Just sayin'...

Yeah, i don't think i'd want to go every 3k, just too much. They specify 6k so i'll probably want to do it 5k like i did on my last triumph. But then again if i do that they aren't going to send me the oil sooner than 6k, which makes me wonder....how are they going to know my mileage if they send me the oil ! they said if i want to change it myself they will be willing to send it to me because i live a long ways from the dealer. Oh well. Anyways, today i get it changed, and i think i'm leaning towards amsoil. I maye ask him to just send me the filters and pass on the oil, or maybe as i said before save the oil and sell it a case at a time thru craigs list. That way i could at least get maybe 1/2 the cost back for the amsoil. And i don't think i've seen a thing about amsoil in forum posts or anywhere online that doesn't say it's as good as it gets. So to have peace of mind i think i'm going with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back