Torch My Ride!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=115584/pageNumber=1

This is right up there with closing a checking account and requesting return of the signature card (pre-computer days), and claiming the checkbook stolen from glovebox to explain the TV, stereo, and furniture written hot.

Not having quite the scheming mind of others, I'm always left a little slack-jawed at this kind of stuff.
shocked.gif

from the article ..

Meanwhile, nearly 20 percent of all arsons occur in vehicles, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. Additionally, arson is the second-highest cause of vehicle fires.

There's actually an agency that regulates and administers fires?? Not the "Fire Institute" or "Anti-Arson Task Force"....or something like that ..but the "U.S. Fire Administration"
confused.gif

From the linked article:
quote:

At the root of the problem: People pay too much for a vehicle they really can't afford.

I disagree. That statement translates, in simple terms, to "people are stupid". The real root of the problem, IMO, is that large numbers of people are dishonest. Now, dishonesty may overlap with stupidity to some extent, but really, they are different things.

I'm fond of telling friends that I keep having this recurring nightmare of a crime-free world in which we all live in harmony, and people treat each other and others' property with decency and respect, and therefore, lawyers are hardly needed so I have to go find a real job.
shocked.gif
Then I awaken in a cold sweat, take a deep breath, smile, and realize that no, I'm still in the real world, and I'll have all the work I care to do for as long as I care to do it. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

With money being so tight and gas prices jumping through the roof, I can almost see that happening as a way to get out of debt. But in the end, we all pay for it.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Colonel Polk, when attorneys have no work, they invent it!

My sad and lamentable experience is that with all the crime and sleazy irresponsible behavior that's going on out there, we don't often find ourselves having to invent work. That said, it occasionally does happen, such as when some "inventive" guy decides to sue a fast food place because their fries make people fat. I'm all for accountability, and cases like the fry thing infuriate me because they are about 1/10th of 1% of what really happens in court, but people see that as sweeping reality. I mean hey, who stuffed the fries in the fat guy's pie hole anyway?!!?

[/QUOTE]I disagree. That statement translates, in simple terms, to "people are stupid". The real root of the problem, IMO, is that large numbers of people are dishonest.[/QUOTE]

No, people really are stupid. You give them too much credit.

Oh, no question about it -- there's plenty of stupidity out there. The stupid ones can be fairly benign until you add a stiff dose of dishonesty to the mix. I served for two years as a state public defender in FL (trading awful pay for heavy trial experience). Trust me, I experienced massive exposures to both stupidity and dishonesty, frequently at the same time. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back