top post battery in a side post pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've got a battery, i forget what group size, but I bought it for a 94 honda accord although it's temporarily been doing duty in a 2001 ford taurus which is also a top post and which it fit perfectly in. Neither the taurus or the honda is running right now, but i've got this perfectly good battery i spent $100 for...

And i've got two GM vehicles i just brought back from the grave, which are those screw in side post types. When it was a little warmer i was using my little saturn 4cyl group 75 to start the v8 but since it's old and now it's cold that finally bit it. So i'm wondering if i could just use the battery above...specifically in my pickup which has alot of underhood room and longer cables.

Just not quite long enough.. i've seen little adapter posts of a sort but they seem a couple inches too short, because the battery has to be rotated around 180 for the positive and negative to be closest to their respective terminal, placing it further back on the top instead of right near the side. The ideal adapter would give me a few inches to reach the side properly... does anyone know of an adapter like this?

People might say just drop another $100 for yet another battery, but an adapter like this is something i'm positive i'd use again. I always have too many cars, and too few batteries/swapping going around based on whats not broke that month and the most driveable. I've used screw in adapters to turn side post batteries into the top post style - just with the posts on the side which has so far been usually reachable by battery connectors/within range to hook up the vehicle to start and run that way awhile. I'm really looking for the opposite... but somehow adding a few inches to reach across the top of the battery to reach those GM side post mounts... since the battery cables of the target vehicle are a little short in what I want to put it into.

Well, you can finagle anything.
I myself would have to hunt for parts at the auto parts store or online etc., in order to find what I'd be looking for. I too have turned a SIDE post battery into a TOP post battery(~35 yrs ago) however, I have not tried the opposite of turning a TOP post into a SIDE post. And I realize that you may also need some extra cable length for better reach.

All parts can be found IMO and here is a starting place or at least what I am envisioning. You'll have to do your own specific tweeking.

Good Luck

http://www.wiringdepot.com/store/p/...v26T03gIVjLrACh0W-Qy_EAQYBCABEgIA_PD_BwE

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arnold-Battery-Cable-Set-Battery-Cable/1153809?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-MowerAccessories-_-1153809:Arnold&CAWELAID=&kpid=1153809&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1655&k_clickID=go_625671256_44024310937_217425990231_pla-351989490144_c_9005666&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI89CsoqX03gIVkobACh1ZngjgEAQYBSABEgLOq_D_BwE

Last edited:
Might be cheaper to change the cables, or you could pick up one of those Wal-Mart Value Power batteries for under $50. I personally despise side mount post batteries, it's hard to keep the terminals tight & clean.

You could make your own adapters. Just need a top post battery clamp, a ring terminal or side terminal without the bolt, and enough battery cable to connect the two. Bolt the ring terminal end to the existing side mount cable.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Might be cheaper to change the cables, or you could pick up one of those Wal-Mart Value Power batteries for under $50. I personally despise side mount post batteries, it's hard to keep the terminals tight & clean.
I've had experience with GM products that have them. It is hard to keep them tight and clean, the worst part is when they strip. They are also a much bigger PITA when they need to be boosted or charged. Do they have any advantages besides less terminal being exposed and easier packaging? The cars I have seen them on did not have battery boxes.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-top-to-side-post-3517-battery-adaptors-0113517p.html I think this style of side post adapter is what you need.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Well, you can finagle anything.
I myself would have to hunt for parts at the auto parts store or online etc., in order to find what I'd be looking for. I too have turned a SIDE post battery into a TOP post battery(~35 yrs ago) however, I have not tried the opposite of turning a TOP post into a SIDE post. And I realize that you may also need some extra cable length for better reach.

All parts can be found IMO and here is a starting place or at least what I am envisioning. You'll have to do your own specific tweeking.

Good Luck

http://www.wiringdepot.com/store/p/...v26T03gIVjLrACh0W-Qy_EAQYBCABEgIA_PD_BwE

I am not convinced that the existing battery cables in my Alero would have the extra length (couple of inches) needed to use adapters like these. I am using a group 75DT battery in it specifically because I want to be able to use the top terminals in case the side posts strip out (which is easy enough to do, and why I hate side terminals so much). If I ever get around to doing it, I will just replace the existing battery cables with slightly longer ones (or maybe just do the negative one, since that's the one that I disconnect and reconnect when doing maintence).

See if you can free some cable up from the harness. If flipping the battery for polarity puts the terminals out of reach, try crossing the cables over in an X without flipping the batt. Did this once in a Camry worked great

That's also why I like dual post style batteries-car goes boom, battery will work in anything! Plus the posts are good to use with jumper cables.

Last edited:
Change the whole cables, it won't be any more expensive than rigging adapters. Keep the old cables for reverting to stock. You also have to consider the battery doesnt have a place for the bottom clamp like side post ones do.

2 ring terminals on some 2awg cable long enough to reach the side terminals. Put the ring on the terminal bolt. Make sure the rig doesnt short when the hood is closed. That is the reason for the side terminals, low clearance.
grin2.gif

I despise side terminal batteries. I convert the car or truck, GM trucks in particular to top posts. I cut off the side terminal off the cable, and have a harbor freight hydraulic crimper I crimp a ring terminal on. Then I use military lead clamps on the posts, which have 3/8 bolts that the ring terminal attaches to. Very heavy duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back