Top Off Oil Choices

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm planning a long road trip of about 1,600 miles towards the end of the month. The Camry has M1 EP in the sump. It's possible that I may need / want to top off the oil during the trip. I have two 1/2 quarts in stock that I'd like to use for this purpose. One is M1 10W-40 High Mileage and the other is Castrol Edge EP 5W-30. Which do you think would be a better choice to top off with?

I'd go buy a fresh quart of M1 EP if I expected to top up over a long trip. Then it's freshly sealed until i need it.
I hear you, but I really want to get rid of these half quarts. I don't have a good place to continue storing them.

Castrol uses a different DP /AP with a titanium compound.
I would stick with your M1.
I was thinking of using the M1 HM, but for a different reason. Hadn't thought too much about the formulation. I can use the Castrol in sweeties Prius when we do the next oil change.

Due to leaky bottles?
FWIW, I'm not concerned about the bottles leaking. I've had the opened and tightly closed Castrol in my trunk since 9/1/20, and not a drop has leaked or spilled. If I didn't have these 1/2 used quarts hanging around, I'd certainly go with a fresh quart of M1 EP.

The VVT system was designed for 5w-30, so that's what I'd pour into it. It'll undoubtedly be fine with a bit of 10w-40, but there's really no reason to favor same brand of the wrong viscosity over a different brand of the correct viscosity.

Back