Top Off Oil Choices

All joking aside, i would treat the car to an oil change at walmart, they are everywhere, mobil one full synthetic would be my choice, about $50with filter

... to you.

SHEL,​

YOU ARE IN THE YEAR AND TIME RANGE THAT TOYOTA, HAD THE SLUDGING ISSUE, I PERSONALLY WOULD NEVER RUN EP, BUT THAT'S THE OPINION OF A MULI- DEGREE'D ENGINEER, 56 YEARS, HOT ROD BUILDER, ETC AND A PERSON WHO FREQENTLY MET WITH FACTORY REPS ON A REGULAR BASIS​

The VVT system was designed for 5w-30, so that's what I'd pour into it. It'll undoubtedly be fine with a bit of 10w-40, but there's really no reason to favor same brand of the wrong viscosity over a different brand of the correct viscosity.

Shel's VVT system would be fine, even if he ran 100% M1 10W40. 15W40 and 20W50 are owners manual approved in other countries like Australia.

The VVT system was designed for 5w-30, so that's what I'd pour into it. It'll undoubtedly be fine with a bit of 10w-40, but there's really no reason to favor same brand of the wrong viscosity over a different brand of the correct viscosity.
Actually, Toyota calls for 0W-20 or 5W-20 (if 0W-20 is unavailable). I agree that a small amount of 10W-40 will be OK for several hundred miles, if needed or desired.

The 10W-40 would likely be my preference between the mentioned.

In the recent past, my top-off oil used to be Chevron Supreme 5W-30. I haven't seen it at Costco in quite awhile.
Now it's Super Tech Full-Syn 5W-30 -- whatever is that line's cheapest in the convenient quart bottle.

I do my best to get in and outta Wally World as fast as possible...

Last edited:
I’m OCD when it comes to top off. I always buy an extra quart of the oil I’m using to ensure I have fresh sealed oil for a top off.

Makes no difference. Chances are the owners manual overseas states it can use 20w50. If you're burning a quart or less every oci, I wouldn't even think about it.

SHEL,​

YOU ARE IN THE YEAR AND TIME RANGE THAT TOYOTA, HAD THE SLUDGING ISSUE, I PERSONALLY WOULD NEVER RUN EP, BUT THAT'S THE OPINION OF A MULI- DEGREE'D ENGINEER, 56 YEARS, HOT ROD BUILDER, ETC AND A PERSON WHO FREQENTLY MET WITH FACTORY REPS ON A REGULAR BASIS​

You're certainly emphatic about your experience and dislike for EP. Since you're obviously more expert than I, please explain why you'd "never run EP." Would you not run it in any engine, or are you referencing the 2AR-FE that's in my car? What would you run in my engine, and why? Thanks!

Shel's VVT system would be fine, even if he ran 100% M1 10W40. 15W40 and 20W50 are owners manual approved in other countries like Australia.
Yes, it is only the nanny systems where the computer looks for a specific response signature in order to secure CAFE credits.

SHEL,​

You reasoning Mr. Smarty pants? One would think EP would be a BETTER choice. Maybe not extending the OCI unduly but
The oil choice would be fine.

Reps? Those schmoes that are sent out to disapprove performing Warranty Work?

You know what worked for me on the 1995 Suzuki Aerio? After a heart to heart chat with the man, gifting the service manager a nice vintage Pierre Cardin shirt still folded in the plastic wrap and cardboard.

Dont ask. Dipstick incident.

SHEL,​

So, in other words, you don't know any more about it than the next guy. No doubt you skipped spelling class.

Back