Toolbox with electrical receptacles

I have been admiring toolboxes with receptacles just don’t want to fork out dough and definitely don’t see a need in buying a new toolbox. Was sifting through my electrical parts storage bin and decided I throw something together. Quad box with USB receptacle and timer switch.

Attachments

• A494C394-FEDD-4FB8-B152-ADDEBBC2927D.jpeg
    A494C394-FEDD-4FB8-B152-ADDEBBC2927D.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 93
  • B9691F5B-9914-4668-85F7-BFAD9CBEACB2.jpeg
    B9691F5B-9914-4668-85F7-BFAD9CBEACB2.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 93
  • AEAC69CB-3EE4-4F64-949A-076267AD1DDF.jpeg
    AEAC69CB-3EE4-4F64-949A-076267AD1DDF.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 93
very nice outside the electrical box thinking! I wouldve used thicker black oil resistant wire for the wall plug though. if you fire up multiple plugs and chargers at same time the 15 amp extension cord may heat up and moreso if it is longer.

very nice outside the electrical box thinking! I wouldve used thicker black oil resistant wire for the wall plug though. if you fire up multiple plugs and chargers at same time the 15 amp extension cord may heat up and moreso if it is longer.
Tool box stays put and I won’t be pulling that much amperage just the chargers or LED work light

My first thought goes directly to electrocution. I'll pass. May be perfectly safe but I'll pass.
Why do you say that? It’s wired and properly grounded… as having an electrical background I’ve seen homes with 3 prong receptacles and no ground. There’s nothing unsafe about it.

If I was looking for a new MATCO or SnapOn box, I would probably get it since I would already be forking out 5 figures. That being said I am fine with my 15+ year old Matco double bay at home with an outlet nearby and extension cords.
Yep.. who wants to support this ill overly inflated economy? Definitely not me.

I like the idea of plugs on the box along with chargers. All of mine are currently on the wall but I will have to think about revising my setup... this site has caused me to start way too many projects! :rolleyes:

I have been admiring toolboxes with receptacles just don’t want to fork out dough and definitely don’t see a need in buying a new toolbox. Was sifting through my electrical parts storage bin and decided I throw something together. Quad box with USB receptacle and timer switch.
Umm, that's not a toolbox. That's a work bench.

You hope he doesn’t open up a wall in his house because his setup is properly wired and grounded?
I was referring to the original reply that was worried about electrocution with this properly wired DIY setup. The quotes only go one layer deep so apparently that got lost.

Back