Tool Storage - cost effective chest options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to consolidate tools in one box, this needs to be a fairly large roller chest because I currently have 3 boxes and tools I still don't really have room for.

It needs to have ball bearing drawers...

I'm thinking on the order of the largest Kobalt from Lowes:

6936945604161.jpg

I don't necessarily need a stereo and Snap-On, MAC and such are out, because I just can't justify that money for non professional use.

I recall having read that the Kobalt boxes were actually pretty good value. I also recall a few years back there was a guy on one of the forums that was selling very nice offshore produced boxes for very good prices, but I can't find it now...

Harborfreight cabinets are actually very nice. You can't use the 20/25% coupons on them anymore but they are very well built IMO.

I frequently see the rolling tool boxes at auctions. The older Craftsman set that I have I purchased about 20 years ago for (as I remember) $50 or so. I still see them at a lot of farm auctions, and some very good quality sets go for $200-$300.

There was a good post rating many tool cabinets in the GarageJournal.COM if I remember. Almost all decent tool chests are ball bearing drawers, but there is more to it like gauge of steel and the number of ball bearings.

You might want to pop into Sears and look for some on clearance. No sale but clearance. I bought my newest set there for $325 (around that) and I think the normal price was over $1200. Sears also has some good sales but you would need to watch the prices for a month or two to know the really good sales from the avg. sales.

I worked at Sears until I got all the tools I wanted and then left.

I'll try to go check out Harbor Freight... cheaper than the Kobalt and I also don't need the stainless steel, although Kobalt's drawer liners are nice!

I think StrictlyToolBoxes.com that advertises on GarageJournal is the guy I was thinking of... Although I think he was somewhat less "official" when I was looking at it...

Definitely give the US General boxes at Harbor Freight a look. The ones I have seen were better built than Craftsman and Kobalt boxes and usually cost less. One of the best buys for someone starting out in the automotive field or looking for a nice box in a home garage.

Make sure to get the 22 inch deep box, not the 18 inch deep one. Sears (at least mine) doesn't have real large boxes like Lowes. IIRC the Lowes box is $2700 or so. For that price I too would look at the Harbor Freight boxes. The HF large bottom boxes are rated very well from what I have seen, the top boxes however are not.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
...IIRC the Lowes box is $2700 or so. For that price I too would look at the Harbor Freight boxes. The HF large bottom boxes are rated very well from what I have seen, the top boxes however are not.

That Kobalt is about $1900 here. That is about the limit I am willing to spend, and I'd like to spend less...
wink.gif
Also they have apparently changed the drawer pulls, and I like the old ones better...

What issue have you heard about harbor freight top boxes, because I actually have more room upward than side to side.

I have the mid grade cabinet from HF (around $360ish).
http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html

There are 2 larger nicer ones they have as well...

http://www.harborfreight.com/56-in-11-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-67681.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/72-in-18-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-61656.html

They have top cabinets that can go on these as well but I just use the bottom and top is kinda a small work bench area.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Harbor Freight models, nothing else in the same price range can touch them. I have the 44" top & bottom unit and the top is the exact same build quality as the bottom.
DSC00022.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00028.JPG

I'm a little bit jealous of how organized your tool box is. Mine could be on an episode of hoarders! I sort of outgrew it a few years ago and just kept "making room". Since I'm not in the automotive field anymore I'm glad I didn't spend the money to upgrade though.

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
Another vote for the Harbor Freight models, nothing else in the same price range can touch them. I have the 44" top & bottom unit and the top is the exact same build quality as the bottom.
DSC00022.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00028.JPG

Way too neat!!

HF has some sales on their larger boxes this month. This link has a few coupons:

http://view.harborfreightemail.com/?j=ff..._c4614a&r=0

The matching top chest for the 44 inch bottom box is on sale this month for $289.00. $658.00 is a great price for a good-sized combo like that. Their 72" cabinet is a super nice box that looks to be excellent quality. Every time I go to HF I have to check out their boxes. My 10 year old Craftsman is still in great shape but if I ever do need a new box, HF is where I will go.

My stuff is way to neat and clean because since May of this year I have replaced most of my tools. I was a Snap On user for many years until I tried to warranty a 1/2 drive hex bit that I turned into a licorice stick. My dealer (of 13 years!) refused to replace it so I ended up mailing it back to Snap On and they did replace it. I was still pretty soured over the situation with my dealer so I decided to sell all my Snap On and replace it with Wright Tool stuff. Whatever Wright didn't make I purchased SK tool stuff.
Wright Tool factory is just down the street from my office so if I need to replace anything it's a quick phone call then drive over.
I did make a video recently of the box & contents for anyone that wants to suffer through it.

Wow another local, wright tool is 1.5Miles from my house in barberton.

Their tools and gear is top notch. Can be pricy but quality American made and cheap dont usually go in the same sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back