tool chest maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my Craftsman box it says to wax the shell, grease the casters and grease the rollers. I'm up to date on keeping the finish par and it is in a fixed location so the casters should be fine.

I want to make the ball bearing drawers slide better and stay well lubed. What do I use and where to apply it?

I like this cabinet but I was opening drawers on a Kobalt the other day at Lowe's and the drawers rolled so nice. Made me talk down to my Craftsman when I got home. The Kobalt just opened and closed with such authority and shut pefectly. On the Sears piece it is difficult to fully close them as there seems to be a lip it has to jump to be set for the locking capability. But its not a problem since I never roll it or lock it.

I know that Craftsmans have different grades of construction...from "homeowners" to "heavy duty" to "professional". Are you comparing apples to apples here? Plus, that Kobalt is brand new, and yours is obviously used.

Kobalts are junk, anyways.

Disclaimer: I work for Home Depot
grin2.gif

On my Craftsman box I just spray the slides with WD-40 every so often. My box has the old school compound slides but WD-40 keeps them sliding very easily.

On your box you should be able to remove the drawers and look in the back inside of it and there should be a small rubber or plastic catch there. It snaps into the back of the drawer when you close it. This is the lip that you are talikng about when the drawer closes. You can remove the plastic pieces from the back of the inside of the box and the drawer will close normally. Just be sure the box is on a level surface or the drawer could roll back out again on its own.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

I want to make the ball bearing drawers slide better and stay well lubed. What do I use and where to apply it?

Superlube part# 21030 is what you use and you apply it to the ball bearings
plus the intermediate slide members that the ball bearings roll on.

I saw this item at Lowes and it was a "rust shield". Unsure if its the one I found on the web from 3-IN-1 oil. Do they work? I used their calculator to figure out how many for the lower cabinet. I guessed at 36x12x26 and it said 4. So another 3 or 4 for the chest. How long do they last?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I saw this item at Lowes and it was a "rust shield". Unsure if its the one I found on the web from 3-IN-1 oil. Do they work? I used their calculator to figure out how many for the lower cabinet. I guessed at 36x12x26 and it said 4. So another 3 or 4 for the chest. How long do they last?

They better be about $1.00 and/or last many years.

I looked at the 3-in-1 brand because I thought it would be a great idea since my 50 pack of box cutter blades rusted. I actually found the product because I was wondering what type of spray I could get that may slow down the process.

The 3-in-1 brand cost $3-$4 and last only 6 months.

Any idea what you could spray instead? Or if you can get one of those big cans of moisture dryers and just use a small amount in a container. Maybe keep the rest in a zip lock bag for use later.

An update- saw it tonight at Walmart. Regular price for the 3-in1 product is 4, it was on clearance for 3. And I remembered wrong, it is good for 90 days only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back