Took The Plunge( 2014 Jeep Cherokee )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an indicator on the IP to tell you what gear the transmission is in, or do you have to go into manual mode to find out?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Is there an indicator on the IP to tell you what gear the transmission is in, or do you have to go into manual mode to find out?

You have to tap the shift lever over to the left to know exactly what gear you are in( 1-9 ) otherwise it just says D.

Is it possible that GPS constant 12V supply is broken? Car navigation system should always remember the last spot and usually should have the GPS signal as long as it is not inside a tunnel or a concrete jungle of skyscrapers.

Congrats on a great looking Jeep!

The specs are impressive but that 9 speed automatic transmission just scares the bejeepers out of me. Good luck.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bigdreama

The specs are impressive but that 9 speed automatic transmission just scares the bejeepers out of me. Good luck.
thumbsup2.gif

The transmission was sourced from ZF and is designed to handle a lot more torque than the 2 engines it's behind can produce. I have a feeling the reliability will be fine, but the benefit (MPG) of having go many cogs will be negligible.

thumbsup2.gif

The transmission was sourced from ZF and is designed to handle a lot more torque than the 2 engines it's behind can produce. I have a feeling the reliability will be fine, but the benefit (MPG) of having go many cogs will be negligible.

Wasn't the release of the Jeep delayed because of programming issues with the transmission?

Originally Posted By: hypervish

thumbsup2.gif

Wasn't the release of the Jeep delayed because of programming issues with the transmission?

Yes it was but it was not a mechanical failure issue. It was all programming and had to do with shifting. Some people are still complaining about shifting so Chrysler has a TSB out that addresses it with yet another flash. People who have had the latest flash done say it does a good job. Once again though it is all programming and not anything mechanical failing.

The only mechanical issue I have heard of so far is a few have developed a leak( a certain seal fails and it causes a leak ). Chrysler is just replacing the entire trans when that happens.

FWIW mine shifts fine although I have yet to see 9th. I just don't go fast enough for it to ever get there. I have no leaks either.

Last edited:
Very nice MPG on your first few hundred miles. I haven't manually checked since '07 -- when I first started buying cars with EVIC display. Recently, I started using Gas Cubby app -- which keeps track of your fill-ups, average MPG, and MPG per tank. It's the first time I've hand-calculated in years. The EVIC in my Ram and Jeep appear to be nearly dead on. The first tank was +0.1 MPG on EVIC vs. manual calculation. The second tank was exact. Each fill has been at the same location thus far. It's a handy app (free).

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Very nice MPG on your first few hundred miles. I haven't manually checked since '07 -- when I first started buying cars with EVIC display. Recently, I started using Gas Cubby app -- which keeps track of your fill-ups, average MPG, and MPG per tank. It's the first time I've hand-calculated in years. The EVIC in my Ram and Jeep appear to be nearly dead on. The first tank was +0.1 MPG on EVIC vs. manual calculation. The second tank was exact. Each fill has been at the same location thus far. It's a handy app (free).

Chrysler must have finally figured it out( i.e. MPG computer )like GM did. My GM's were always right there. Not so my Chryslers. I am a MOPAR guy so no Chrysler bias. Glad to see they are doing better with it.

UPDATE:

Looks like the EVIC MPG figures are going to be pretty close or even work in my favor if it holds as it has been over these 1st few fills. Have filled 3 time so far and 2 of them it was off in my favor and the other time it was only off .3 too high. I will take that.
thumbsup2.gif

I am really happy so far with the MPG I have got as well. Especially today. 1st fill was 22.2 MPG as reported earlier. The 2nd one a few days ago was only 18.7 MPG but it was mostly around town with a lot of idling while I moved the car to clean up after 2 snow storms. It made me a bit nervous I admit but today showed me what it can do.

Had to go to my Aunt's today to help her with a water leak in her house. It is approx. 180 miles RT. I decided to fill before I left and then fill again when I got back to see what it could do. My Patriot would do 25-26 MPG tops for this trip. It is a mix of all kinds of roads from highway to city center as well as a portion going up and over a mountain. Mostly it is 45-55 zones( 60-70% or so ). ANYWAY...

Got back into town and filled up( same station and even same pump )and it was 178.8 / 6.7 = 26.68 MPG!
banana2.gif
Better than the Patriot ever did and almost up near my Sister's Impala. I can't wait for my trip to PA this spring/summer to see if I can break 30 MPG with an al highway run. I bet I can based on today's results.

I am really liking this vehicle so far.

The larger engine is probably helping you, it doesn't have to work as hard. In my experience a lot of vehicles like that with 4 bangers inhale fuel because the motors are working so hard, like the Q5's.

Very nice. I agree with hattaresguy. Up and over the mountain, the 4-banger may not be any better. It may be worse. I had a fwd 2.3L base Mariner, and then traded for a 4wd 3.0 Premier. On the highway -- driving ~75, they were identical. The 4-banger had to work too hard, and downshift for the tiniest of hill. In town, they were about 2 mpg apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back