i just came back from walmart and wrote down prices of 5qt jugs:

Edge - $34
M1 extended performance - $28.50
M1 - $26
Syntec - $25
PP - $23
Synpower - $22.50

v-Max Syn Blend hi-mileage - 16
M1 clean 5000 - $10!!!!!!! (maybe a good choice for on of my older cars)

---and there are still so many not sold in walmart! "performance" oils

man... i am regretting researching oil so much now (kinda, but not really) just because i would never before have been so conflicted about which oil to buy... before i would just buy whichever of the two big brands i recognized was cheaper or on sale.... [censored] it all...

Last edited:
Mobil 1 is offering 2 $10 mail in rebates for oil purchased between April 1 and August 31, 2009. If you are shopping based on price, you can't beat that. Only one coupon per purchase, so don't purchase two jugs at the same time. You must register on the M1 website to get the mail in rebate coupon. Limit 2 per household.

If price is a big concern going forward (or not considering any sales), the Walmart brand SuperTech Full Synthetic is actually a very good quality oil.

BTW, that is Mobil Clean 5000, not Mobil 1 Clean 5000. The Mobil 1 brand is reserved for full synthetics.

If you are interested in a synthetic blend, mixing your own is perfectly fine.

The most important thing is to chose the correct viscosity and an oil that meets the certification requirements of your particular engine, but I would not hesitate to recommend synthetic for most applications.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
If extending your oil changes out a ways use M1 EP or Castrol Edge. If not use any of the others. I use Amsoil and do 1 year changes.

how extended defines "extended"?

i have OCI of 5K on the bimmer and 10K on the other cars, all running full synthetic with good filters (napa gold, k&n, bosch, etc)

If you're having trouble deciding which motor oil to use, DON'T buy a Fumoto valve. Second thoughts are dangerous when you can start dumping your engine oil in less than 15 seconds.

Clean, Quality, SM rated oil with a great filter and reasonable OCI is all you need!

Brands don't matter much...

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tropic
If you're having trouble deciding which motor oil to use, DON'T buy a Fumoto valve. Second thoughts are dangerous when you can start dumping your engine oil in less than 15 seconds.

hahahaha thanks

it's already dangerous even without a quick change valve since i'm considering changing the oil on some of my cars that haven't even got 3K since last synthetic oil change

i guess i'm the type to over think things but also i killed a car for no good reason by not changing the oil frequently and not using good stuff when i did

i bought a 96 pontiac sunfire 2.4 with 40K on it and the engine literally locked up at 110K 4 years later... no reason for it i just never changed the oil on time (once every six months) and used cheap dino juice oils with cheap filters

so that experience combined with all this new info is making me overthink oil a whole lot

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Clean, Quality, SM rated oil with a great filter and reasonable OCI is all you need!

Brands don't matter much...

You may be correct about the brands, but there is more to consider than "SM" certification for some cars. BMW in particular has certification requirements that go beyond SM, and they are not unique in that kind of requirement.

Yes I know... I should have added the line: But always make sure to follow your owners manual.

90% of the vehicles on the road could work fine with my statement, but you are right and everyone should check their owners manual.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Find a good oil and stick with it. All this oil hopping shows mental instability!

M1 5-30

hahahaha i guess it does... i'm just trying to come to some conclusion i'm comfortable with and never think about it again, know what i mean?

Exactly what cars are you using this oil in? If one of them is a Bimmer, you might need something more 'robust', along the lines of GC 0W-30 or M1 0W-40.....A3 rated and all that.

i posted some stuff about my cars on another post but here's what i got:

98 bmw 740 (using M1 0-40)
99 neon ?
99 cav ?
07 corolla ?

About 1994 I starting researching synthetic oils. I am now running Amsoil after running some other brands since about 1988.

It is a lot easier to research with the net. Back when I did it I was getting broshures from all these companies. Mobil 1 and Amsoil had the best broshures by far.
It is pretty easy to compare data sheets now. So you are lucky in that regard.

Just start trying some of the oils. If you are not running them for extended drains then any of them should work fine. Especially if price is one of your primary criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back