Too long on oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from a visit to my mother. I found out she hasn't changed the oil on my dad's car since he passed away three years ago. She drives his 02 Camry V-6 in the winter (her car is a convertible with regular dealer oil changes). Mostly short trips, less than 20 miles round trip, often 10 or less. Three years and 11,000 miles on the oil and filter.

It was last serviced by the dealer in Dec 06 with a Toyota Denso 08922-02011 and bulk 5w30. I put in a Supertech filter, a quart of MMO, and Valvoline 5w30 dino. I plan on changing it out in the spring regardless of mileage.

The oil looked pretty good, still clear with a brownish tint. Oil filter autopsy looked no worse than a 3-5K run on one of my cars. Denso looks to make a fine filter.

Any damage done, or suggestions?

No damage done. Let her run that mix thru the winter, then change in spring. Looks like you're going to have to keep track of her mileage/time for her. I can relate to your situation.

Keep an eye on it. Maybe run ARX with dino oil if you feel it needs it. I would just to be on the safe side. All in all, it's hard to tell but I think you'll be ok.

A wee bit long, but no lasting harm since it sat so much.

Good call on the MMO. Isn't that one of the "sludger" 3.0 V6's?

Order two bottles of auto-rx and follow the instruction for a sludge beast! Then and I mean this seriously when finished with the clean and rinse put Redline in this car. This way she can go 1,2,3 years with out sludging even though it would not be recomended.....I would put Redline 5W40 in it and change it once a year.

If you decide not to Auto-Rx it then go with Redline 0W40 or 5W40 and just make sure it get's changed at least once a year. Even a sludge beast can not sludge Redline.

That is a sludge engine.

I would be a tad more aggressive on fighting back. You can start the Arx or just do the 1 quart MMO (solvent effect) and cheap oil changes every couple weeks until the first of the year. Then change to a good syn and change that in Feb with a solvent flush. That should get the loose stuff.

Not sure about the Redline advice. Sounds like speculation.

I'm not sure I'll run Auto-RX in it. I've used Auto-RX on another car of mine and got great results on compression testing, but disappointing results on the cleaning aspect.

I got a boatload of PP 10w30 on the Meijer clearance ($1.41 qt!!), so I'll probably run that in the spring, maybe with some more MMO. I'll also pick up a couple Napa Gold for her when they have their next sale.

Does anyone know if this 02 V-6 is one of the sludge engines?

Thanks Pablo! We posted at the same time. I guess I'll have to be a liitle more aggressive if this is a sludge motor.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Order two bottles of auto-rx and follow the instruction for a sludge beast! Then and I mean this seriously when finished with the clean and rinse put Redline in this car. This way she can go 1,2,3 years with out sludging even though it would not be recomended.....I would put Redline 5W40 in it and change it once a year.

If you decide not to Auto-Rx it then go with Redline 0W40 or 5W40 and just make sure it get's changed at least once a year. Even a sludge beast can not sludge Redline.

Making Redline sound like the 2nd coming here :)

The mmo should take away your worries.. toyota 4cyl for a number of years are better than the v-6 we see triple the toyota v6 compared to the 4 banger

Originally Posted By: Pablo
That is a sludge engine.

I would be a tad more aggressive on fighting back. You can start the Arx or just do the 1 quart MMO (solvent effect) and cheap oil changes every couple weeks until the first of the year. Then change to a good syn and change that in Feb with a solvent flush. That should get the loose stuff.

Not sure about the Redline advice. Sounds like speculation.

Just like everything you hear about Amsoil

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
I just got back from a visit to my mother. I found out she hasn't changed the oil on my dad's car since he passed away three years ago. She drives his 02 Camry V-6 in the winter (her car is a convertible with regular dealer oil changes). Mostly short trips, less than 20 miles round trip, often 10 or less. Three years and 11,000 miles on the oil and filter.

It was last serviced by the dealer in Dec 06 with a Toyota Denso 08922-02011 and bulk 5w30. I put in a Supertech filter, a quart of MMO, and Valvoline 5w30 dino. I plan on changing it out in the spring regardless of mileage.

The oil looked pretty good, still clear with a brownish tint. Oil filter autopsy looked no worse than a 3-5K run on one of my cars. Denso looks to make a fine filter.

Any damage done, or suggestions?

The Blazer I inherited about 10 months ago had 28k on dealer dino. Changed it out with Vavoline W.B. too. 900 miles later after winter switched to Vavoline Max Life Blend. Anyway the Oil was absolutely filthy after I dumped the White Bottle. But it must of did a good job cleaning, cause when I recently dumped the Max Life it looked allot cleaner. I guess my point is White bottle is a good cleaner
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Originally Posted By: sciphi
A wee bit long, but no lasting harm since it sat so much.

Good call on the MMO. Isn't that one of the "sludger" 3.0 V6's?

Why do you say MMO is a "good call"?

It'll liquefy some of the sludge and get it away from the mechanicals. Maybe not as much as ARX, which I think is pretty durned good, even considering how much it is. The MMO is a good first step in treating this engine. And if it doesn't work, then it's $4 lost. Not something to break the bank or worry over.

A can of BG Quick Clean or Amsoil Engine Flush is probably a better tool for attacking deposits.

Everyone here is assuming that this engine is sludged in 11,000 miles when the oil came out looking OK. I really doubt it. I would do nothing more than you have done and fill with PP 5w30 in the Spring and do a 1 year OCI or every 5000 miles with a factory filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back