Toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So I finally got around to replacing the toilet at our house today. House is early 1900's, (1908 IIRC) but the bathroom had been "updated" at some point (I think 60's or 70's) and is now in dire need of another refresh but the immediate problem has been old fixtures that are now leaking and doing other fun things.

So far, we've pulled all the steel pipe running to the kitchen and replaced with copper. Installed a new drain (PCV) and tied it into the cast, which runs under the floor and also makes up the stand-pipe, so it isn't coming out. It is also in good shape so that's a plus.

After that I put a new faucet in the bathroom (Moen, made in USA) and replaced the plumbing there (feed pipes and drain).

The toilet was next on the agenda.

The unit that was there was an old 60's or 70's vintage "American Standard" with a massive tank that used a small bathtub every time you hit the flusher. I will note that we have, just in the last month, began paying for water consumption (vs a flat rate before) and just today I got a lovely note from the utility telling me that they have noticed constant consumption/extremely high consumption. Now, the seal for the flap on the tank in that toilet was corroded and would not seal properly even with a new flapper installed. So it always "ran". Not much, but I am sure it added up. And this would account for the "constant consumption" they were concerned about and I knew would be reflected in my bill.

I had been looking at various options and wanted something American or Canadian made and didn't want to spend an obscene amount of money. Ultimately Home Depot had a nice Kohler unit that met my criteria:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cimarron...let-with/912259

Which had some good reviews, is relatively simply looking, so it will go with my bathroom (and our plans for that room) and also was priced reasonably well.

Anybody familiar with antique plumbing knows how much fun the rest this job was once I got it home.

1. The floor in the bathroom is linoleum (I hate linoleum). Guess what was under the linoleum? MORE linoleum! Several layers. Had to be a good 1/2" thick. Since the footprint of the new toilet in no way resembled the old one I had a lot of cutting to do to make it fit.

2. The closet flange, it was BRASS! That was a neat discovery. It also wasn't attached to anything other than the downpipe. It was not screwed to the floor
smirk.gif
I fixed that. I also discovered that under the linoleum layers and the plywood was the same hardwood found in the rest of the house. And wasn't in as bad as shape as I would have expected given what was on top of it.

3. Getting the old fasteners out of the brass closet flange was difficult on one side and impossible on the other. So I reused the one. It was in good shape anyway.

Of course half-way through my kids are telling me they have to pee (this old house only has one bathroom.... I have no idea why). They didn't seem keen on holding it but they did.

Ultimately the wax gasket and everything worked properly with the existing stuff and I was able to get it mounted, seated and sealed with no issues. The longest part being the cutting of the floor to make it fit.

Anybody else have a fun toilet install experience with some surprises along the way?

I live in a Condo so I had to pay a plumber to install a toilet.

Got a great deal on an American Standard for 109$ at Home Depot.

I heard it on the radio at work on sale and I ran to pick one up.

Threw it in the trunk and it took the plumber an hour to install.

I love how it flushes.

All the CRANE toilets at work need 2-3 flushes. And they look like big toilets too, not some value line.

I installed a toilet myself in an old house I had and it went really well. Was a cheap house brand toilet that was small and round.

Flushed really well too.

Just don't buy CRANE toilets they don't flush for poop!

I hate plumbing, especially after my grandmother last month evicted her tenant. He couldn't understand why being a few years behind on rent was a bad thing, so his gift back for being evicted was to pop off the toilet and pour cement down the sewer and put the toilet back on (he was a plumber) and thousands of dollars later they have a new sewer!

Plumbing doesn't work too well for me. Something always leaks or it ends up being 4 trips to Home Depot to get it all finished.

When we moved in I replaced our "main" with a Kohler Cimerron and the upstairs with an American Standard Cadet 3. Granted the Kohler was double the price, but it's absolutely worth it. I hope you're as happy with yours an we are with ours. If you only have one for a family you made the right choice.

Previously I was plunging something every other day. Both have been more/less flawless for two years, and we have a 2, 5 and 7 year old so they've seen some interesting things go by.

Originally Posted By: Falken

All the CRANE toilets at work need 2-3 flushes. And they look like big toilets too, not some value line.

Just don't buy CRANE toilets they don't flush for poop!

You have to wonder if Ebola gets more wide spread in the US, how many victims will water saving toilets claim?

That's an excellent unit. I have the exact model. Also from HD. It has a duel flush feature. Hold the handle down for 1 count for the full flush, give it a quick flip, not all the way down for a reduced flush.

Wayne

I put TOTO's in my house 10yrs ago (new construction). Install easy and they flush well for 1.8gpf. I say this with a 3yr old, 6yr old, and 8yr old. Have had a weepy gaskket with 1 of them but not an issue witht he others. WOuld buy again.

story: I was installing tile in a weekend cottage and my wife kept chiding me for even considering NOT pulling the toilet to tile underneath. anyway - I succumbed to the pressure to pull the toilet. of course, upon re-installation, EVERYTHING leaked: between the tank and the base, the inlet, the wax ring. there were no water shut-offs so the water was off for the whole house. there was a festival in town, so the hardware store was closed and the nearest supply house was 30+ miles away. and, as with many plumbing projects for me, it required 3 trips to get everything working. of course, my wife was not happy with having no water or toilet for many hours!

Yeah I do plumbing...but only on my own joints.

That smug sense of a job well done comes to mind regularly whenever visiting the 'library.'
smile.gif

Very happy with our Toto. Check out Terry Love's plumbing forum for all you ever wanted to know about toilets.

I don't understand why you had to cut the floor to fit the toilet. Could you expand on that a bit?

Most toilets sit flush on the finish flooring and in retro projects there are extension flanges if that needs to be raised up.

Thanks.

I just go out in the back yard to the fence take a pee from time to time. No water used and no mess. The yard loves it. Not sure about the nearest neighbor. Just kidding because nobody can see it.
I am on septic tank here and am careful what I put there. Poop goes there but not any harsh chemical stuff.
Glad all went well with the toilet install

Wow, for that kind of money, I probably would have gotten a Toto. I prefer the American Standard Cadet 3, gets pretty decent reviews and pretty cheap on average. Only thing I don't like about Kohler is that it doesn't use the standard flush valve, it uses a canister so you can't use a standard $20 kit at home depot when it starts to leak.

I helped a neighbor instal a new American Standard Cadet a few years back.
The next morning there was water on the floor at the base.
I suspected the Wax ring and replaced it.
All seemed well, but later there was water on the floor again!

To cut a long story short, that batch of Cadets had a casting hole, that should have been plugged, at the back of the bowl, just below the tank. Sometimes, when the toilet was flushed, a little water would spill out of the hole and run down to the base.
It took most of the day and two more toilets (also faulty) for us to find out what was happening.

After a few phone calls to AS they (eventually) admitted there had been production a problem.

When pushed, they sent a $500 cheque as compensation.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
2. The closet flange, it was BRASS! That was a neat discovery. It also wasn't attached to anything other than the downpipe. It was not screwed to the floor
smirk.gif
I fixed that.

I replaced mine a couple years ago, and I had the "opposite" problem, I suppose you'd call it. I was having a bear of a time unbolting, and I seemed to have a bolt up top instead of a nut. That didn't fill me with confidence. So, I pulled upwards as I was unfastening, and when I was done, I found that the toilet was actually bolted to the floor instead of the flange, since the flange was rotated in such a way that one would not want the toilet to even remotely match!

Toilet, oh boy don't even get me started. I HATE cast iron pipes, my house is old too. So I ended up replacing all of it last summer. Talk about FUN!
mad.gif

To top if off, I miscalculated the how much the flange for the toilet will stick out. SO now I poop like a king sitting on his throne!

9497998782_ec94bc5c90_o.jpg

9495197137_5f5effa597_o.jpg

9495208507_9658c27fe5_o.jpg

9498020798_c069d87cf8_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I don't understand why you had to cut the floor to fit the toilet. Could you expand on that a bit?

Most toilets sit flush on the finish flooring and in retro projects there are extension flanges if that needs to be raised up.

Thanks.

The linoleum had already been cut to fit the previous toilet and there are several layers of "floor". They will eventually be coming up and ceramic tile fitted.

At this time, just cutting out the linoleum to fit the new toilet (which sits on the hardwood) was the best option given the future plans.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Toilet, oh boy don't even get me started. I HATE cast iron pipes, my house is old too. So I ended up replacing all of it last summer. Talk about FUN!
mad.gif

To top if off, I miscalculated the how much the flange for the toilet will stick out. SO now I poop like a king sitting on his throne!

9497998782_ec94bc5c90_o.jpg

9495197137_5f5effa597_o.jpg

9495208507_9658c27fe5_o.jpg

9498020798_c069d87cf8_o.jpg

Did you not know, just to leave the pipe sticking out of the slab during the rough-in. Then cut and add the flange latter?

Or perhaps you did not have much choice. The pipe seems very shallow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat

Did you not know, just to leave the pipe sticking out of the slab during the rough-in. Then cut and add the flange latter?

Or perhaps you did not have much choice. The pipe seems very shallow.

That's what I did, however the PVC pipe was sticking out too much. The flange went inside of the PVC, which I glued afterwards. I supposed I could have done some cutting to make it work.

Oh well, live and learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back