Toilet install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Replacing a toilet and I have a question about putting it down. Some of the how to guides recommend putting a bead of plumbers putty or caulk around the base. My question is why?

Example - parents had a toilet, original with the house - going on 30 years. Wax ring was going bad. When we pulled that toilet, there was no putty or caulk under the base on he outside edges. Had there been, it could have caused the water that was slowly seeping to be less mobile, seep through the grout and base layer, and damage the wood or ceiling below. Since there was an outlet gien that the toilet wasnt sealed around the base, the water could seep out and we noticed it.

So, any good reason to put putty or caulk around the outer edge of the toilet base?

Thanks!

No, don't caulk iy. You are correct in your analysis. if the wax ring develops a slow leak, caulk prevents you from seeing it. As someone who worked in the resilient flooring idustry for almost thirty years, I'll tell you that any flooring over the subloor should go right up to the hole in the floor and the toilet should then set on the flooring itself, not the subfloor. If possible, find a wax ring with the plastic "funnel" attached as this helps to direct water down the pipe.

I had the same question when i remodeled my house, so I ran the question past the plumbers i see on job sites. They caulk around the out side of the bowl to keep umm near misses from running under the toilet and smelling.

They use a white "dap" type silicone caulk.

I have yet to do this, but i have been told its on my honey dew list!

Never have, never will. If the wax ring ever starts leaking I want to know about it immediately. But on a correctly installed toilet wax ring failures should be rare.

If you're caulking because the toilet isn't correctly installed and "rocks" then fix it right with some shims.

If you ever decide to replace the toilet that old caulking can be a pain to remove from the floor. And, if you have kids, on occasion the toilet may need to be removed to dislodge toys, rags and other items that inadvertently create a clog.

I personally would caulk the front half. Any near misses will run down the bowl and could end up under the toilet otherwise. But its your toilet. I usually start and stop the caulk about 2" in front of the flange bolts.

There are wax rings that are extra thick in case your flooring is extra thick.

I second getting the kind with the plastic "funnel".

I've never caulked one to the floor.

The reason is so that misses don't get under the toilet and stink.

The proper way to do this is simple. Place and set the toilet, tighten the flange bolts. Use the toilet for two or three weeks and watch for leaks around the base. If no leaks develop, THEN place a bead of "bathroom tub and tile" caulk around MOST of the toilet except for the very back so you can see it leaking there if it ever does.

NO, you don't want to caulk it. A proper mount won't need it and if that wax ring ever leaks (I also recommend the plastic funnel kind) then you want to know about it RIGHT THEN not later. If you're so bad at aiming that you get it under the toilet, go outside and find a bush! Also, don't forget to pick up a pack or two of plastic toilet shims, you'll probably need them.

The caulk would prevent mop/cleaning water from deteriorating the flooring obscured by the base. If any leakage "out" can fester ..so can leakage in. Leave an uncaulked outlet for detection purposes.

Caulk in the front makes it easier to clean and covers up any gap that was created when you shimmed the toilet to level it or uneven tiles. I caulk any area that is easily seen unless the toilet sits on the floor perfectly.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Caulk in the front makes it easier to clean and covers up any gap that was created when you shimmed the toilet to level it or uneven tiles. I caulk any area that is easily seen unless the toilet sits on the floor perfectly.

+1

I would deliberately not try to seal it with caulk, for the reasons outlined above.

But on a hard floor like tile, the caulking will keep the toilet from rocking if there is minor variations in the floor height. If it can rock even a little, it will start leaking eventually.

I installed both of mine on tile. Take the time to shim it up right and tighten it down properly and you won't have any rocking nor will you have any gaps that need to be sealed with caulk.

Originally Posted By: soldierman
I personally would caulk the front half. Any near misses will run down the bowl and could end up under the toilet otherwise. But its your toilet. I usually start and stop the caulk about 2" in front of the flange bolts.

+1 Always left the back open to be able to observe any leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back