Today reaffirmed my trust in Techron.

This morning I started my engine and had some rough idling on my way to fill up for the day, didn't really think much of it because Hyundai engines are just like that. A few miles in I got the dreaded CEL, had the codes scanned and came back as a lean condition under higher load. I've done a ton of idling lately trying to not freeze my arse off combined with lots of high RPM pulls trying to get unstuck in snow and have been kinda lazy with the fuel treatments lately. Picked up a bottle of techron thinking it won't hurt and GDI engines are know filth generation machines, the CEL went off after about 100 miles and a 1/4 of gas. Tried some foot to the floor pulls on the highway on ramp and made 0-60 in 8 seconds flat, (better than it's rated) which tells me there's no fuel starvation.

This stuff really does work.

Last edited:
Yeah it does, when my jetta sounded like it was about to explode, I poured like 4 bottles of techron into the tank and filled it up, helped alot.

This morning I started my engine and had some rough idling on my way to fill up for the day, didn't really think much of it because Hyundai engines are just like that. A few miles in I got the dreaded CEL, had the codes scanned and came back as a lean condition under higher load. I've done a ton of idling lately trying to not freeze my arse off combined with lots of high RPM pulls trying to get unstuck in snow and have been kinda lazy with the fuel treatments lately. Picked up a bottle of techron thinking it won't hurt and GDI engines are know filth generation machines, the CEL went off after about 100 miles and a 1/4 of gas. Tried some foot to the floor pulls on the highway on ramp and made 0-60 in 8 seconds flat, (better than it's rated) which tells me there's no fuel starvation.

This stuff really does work.
The owners manual says a bottle of Techron at every oil change.

Do “high RPM pulls” ever get one unstuck in snow? I spent a lot of years in Buffalo and never gave this thing a try.
Rocking the vehicle back and forth and turning the wheels left and right does, with good tires it's displaces enough snow to hit ground and get traction, plus on hill climbs shutting off traction control is necessary to prevent sliding back down and getting stuck.

If you used the higher grades of Chevron gas, doesn't that already have Techron added?
We don't have Chevron/Texaco up here, and given the massive price difference with Shell, Sunoco or BP ( top tier 93 is like $4.50 a gallon or more) it's much more economical to just add a bottle every 3k. I also don't trust a gas station to properly dose additives, especially since some of the stations I've been to that are top tier clearly sold lower octane as 93, I know because I had spark knock. I usually stick to Speedway, it's high volume, I get 12-20¢ cash back on Getupside, and I never have issues with their 93.
Yeah it does, when my jetta sounded like it was about to explode, I poured like 4 bottles of techron into the tank and filled it up, helped alot.
Not sure if this is a joke or not but that is a lot of techron.

I recently was given(as in free) a 2002 Blazer with 106K miles on it.
It ran just fine but anyway I ran 2 bottles of Techron and now am running some MMO.
I figured what the heck cant hurt.
And the Blazer was in the same family since new and the plugs are original.
They are very hard to change and at my age no way I'm doing it.
Local shop wants $335 to do it.
Anyone in the Denver,Co area want to do it a little cheaper?

My Daughter having idle problems on her elantra. I will be trying this, this weekend

I use the B trip miles divided by miles per gallon to calculate approximately how many gal have been used on the tank and then multiply that by 4.45 to figure out how many milliliters of red line SL1 to add to the tank before filling it up. I use a 100ml translucent graduated cylinder to measure out that many ml Redline SL-1, and put that amount into the gas tank before filling up at every fill-up.

Back