To change or not to change?

For the first time in a long time Im conflicted on my next oci. Have a '19 Nissan Frontier with 21K. Put in fresh QS syn and NAPA Platinum last fall. Since then Ive added about 2K miles, mostly short runs to the gym and back during winter. Low miles but hard use. Change or not?

I'd take it to 5000 miles then change. If it weren't for the cold weather short trips, I'd wait until 7,500, regardless of elapsed time.

I changed my oil/filter in the Altima in my signature 11-15-20(prior to Thanksgiving) and I've only gone ~ 2300 miles since and am leaving for FL in a couple of weeks. I don't plan on changing the oil till I get back home.

The oil & filter I currently have in the engine is, Rotella Gas Truck(RGT) 0W20 and a FRAM Ultra filter 7317.
The round trip will total over 4000 miles and I should be fine.

If you're not sure, err on the side of caution: change the oil.

As suggested earlier, leave the filter.

Some time ago, I would not have suggested saving the filter, but last year a shop put an unacceptable oil into the engine, and after a couple of hundred miles I decided to change it. To save a few bucks and some time, I just drained the sump and refilled it. I now feel comfortable about continuing to use the filter, in part because the filters are rated for high mileage and I change oil at much lower mileage. That scenario seems similar to your current situation.

Mostly short trips will qualify as severe service. Check the manual, which probably says 6 months or less for severe service. I would change the oil but the filter can stay -- don't remove and drain it, just leave it on the motor.

For the first time in a long time Im conflicted on my next oci. Have a '19 Nissan Frontier with 21K. Put in fresh QS syn and NAPA Platinum last fall. Since then Ive added about 2K miles, mostly short runs to the gym and back during winter. Low miles but hard use. Change or not?
You have a 2019 not a 1970, no need to change your oil at 2k, I would run it for another 3k miles. Your manual will state when to change it under "severe" conditions if you want to be sure.

I’m in the do-whatever-you-want camp. If you lose sleep over it, change it. If you don’t and you’re like me, a year would be fine.

Here’s an idea: change the oil and filter now, using a synthetic oil and quality filter. Then from this point forward, change it every spring. That way, it is changed right after winter (when you may get condensation from short trips).

It’d probably be fine, but if you’re anything like me, it’ll constantly be in the back of your mind. I’d need to change it to scratch that itch

What is your usual OCI? :unsure:

If you don't get there by this coming fall, you can wait until then. If you don't drive many miles, then change it after a year.

Back