To Buy the Jug, or use another weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Been reading the forums for years. Never had to become a member because I just searched and read what I needed. No need to add my comments to piles.. Until..

The dilemma I run into is I'm moving from Syn 5w-20 (Black) to Edge EP 5w-20 (Gold).

My car takes 6 qts. We can easily buy the 5 qt jugs here, but not 1 qt (in 5w-20). No one carries it. AZ, AA, WM, etc..

I can buy another 5 qt jug (5w-20) for 27 bucks, or a 1 qt 5w-30 for 8 bucks. Which would you gents do? Mix the weights (which is no biggie), or buy another jug and store 4 more quarts around the house? I plan to do my next OCI around 10K mile on the Edge EP until I get a UOA at that time.

Please Advise.

two jugs...the 4 quart leftover the jug isn't going to go bad or expire as long as you keep the cap on tight, just use it for top off or the next OCI. I hope with a 6 quart sump your not going with a short OCI, because I would just use Dino if that was the case.

Thanks for the comments guys. Celica GT, I plan to change the Microgreen filter, and do a UOA at 10K. Then I'll see where we go from there. I honestly only put about 8-10K a year on the car anyway. So 10K would be a yearly oil change. Should I push an oil change beyond a year?

Put a brick in the oil pan to displace one quart of capacity (we used to do this with toilet tanks to save water). Now you can always use the exact 5 quart jug.
43.gif

I buy a jug and a quart for the convenience. It's easier just to dump the entire contents of both bottles than to try to measure out 1 quart from a 5-quart jug. I know it ultimately costs more that way, but $25 for a jug of PP is $5/qt, and individual quarts are under $7, so an extra $10 over 5 OCIs isn't going to put me in the poor-house.

Mixing 1 quart of 5W-30 with 5 quarts of 5W-20 won't even be noticed.

I am just buying jugs. First change in the Charger I grabbed two, next time just got one and pored in the remainder of the fist jug and topped off with the new. Now I have a jug of the Pure Plus waiting to top off the jug of old PP when she tells me to change it. I only buy on sale so the two jugs was about the same as a jug and a quart anyway, quarts weren't on sale.

AA in my area just started stocking Edge EP 5-20 in 1qt bottles. Wahoo! $8.63 with discount. I took it. First time going to 10K on an oil. Little scared. MG filter makes me feel better about it. Thanks for the comments.

Originally Posted By: Timo325
Thanks for the comments guys. Celica GT, I plan to change the Microgreen filter, and do a UOA at 10K. Then I'll see where we go from there. I honestly only put about 8-10K a year on the car anyway. So 10K would be a yearly oil change. Should I push an oil change beyond a year?

I don't see how oil knows time, there have been a few UOA on oil used for longer then a year and most of them turned out just fine, specially with a 6 quart sump I personally wouldn't worry about a thing.

My understanding is oil doesn't have an expiration date, and have read a few UOA's in the 14-16 month range. The annual OCI barrier is one that is in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back