To buy a town & country or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family is growing with our third child on the way. My 2005 Honda Odyssey is given us lots of trouble and is time to be put to pasture. Some friends of mine say they're Chrysler town and country has been very good to them and the prices are very good on one year-old 2014 models. My question is has anyone here had experience with Blake model Chrysler Town & Country's and if so are they as bad as All the auto magazines make them sound? Any good experiences or are they just not as reliable? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated thanks

One word sums it up: Sienna.

If 1 year old T&Cs are cheap, it means the market is flooded. Most of them were probably turned in because their first owners absolutely loathed them.

A new Dodge Caravan with the basics will run around $19k plus tt&l. The TC's tend to hold their value and they're not cheap new. If you could get a used one with low miles for mid twenties then I might go for it.

Just checked some prices on CarMax which is full retail and they're around low 20's for a 2013 with 25k miles or so.

Last edited:
I can get a certified T&C 2014 with 22K miles all day for $22k. That's what's attractive. Leather DVD power doors and hatch. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone had one for a period of time and liked it.

+1 on the Sienna, several family members with them, going back to a 2000 up to a 2015, all have been exceptional from what I've seen, very durable vehicles.

I had a 2000 and the low lead solder and electrical gremlins did it in. Couldn't even get data out of the OBDII port. Dealer didn't want to touch it with a 20 foot pole.

I keep hoping a "perfect" minivan will come out, haven't found it. Had an olds silhouette 3.4. Someone did the intake gaskets and it rocked. 25-26 MPG at 75 MPH. Rust got it.

Generally the 01-07 Generation was a good one.I think I would take one of those and the money saved vs a new one would pay for the repairs needed...but stay away from the 3.8 V6.They are oil burners for sure.Cannot stand the box/sharp edge styling of the 08-15s.

I agree with NHGUY. I have a 2004 T & C with the 3.3 L and I love it. I would not have a T & C after 2007.

You've identified a perfect vehicle for the OP.
We have a couple of these in the fleet at work and they've performed well with no problems.
Fuel economy is pretty good, engine power is great and they have plenty of room along with fold into the floor seats for hauling.
You can also buy one for less than the 19K you mention.
A good pick based upon what I know.
A new vehicle is always a better bet than a used one for similar dollars.
Fewer unknown unknowns.

Ford offered the perfect minivan through '97.
It was called the Aerostar and was pretty unbreakable.
At 75 mph or so, the 3.0 Vulcan would deliver about 23 miles for each gallon of fuel.
We had a '97 3.0 for thirteen years and 175K.
Needed a couple of sets of tires, a couple of sets of brakes and a starter.
That was it.
A great vehicle, especially for one that cost what was then Civic money brand new.
$14,900 plus TTL in September 1997.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
+1 on the Sienna, several family members with them, going back to a 2000 up to a 2015, all have been exceptional from what I've seen, very durable vehicles.

+2, Sienna.

I had a Grand Caravan ES at one point, costed me a fortune to keep it running but it had sentimental value.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
My family is growing with our third child on the way. My 2005 Honda Odyssey is given us lots of trouble and is time to be put to pasture. Some friends of mine say they're Chrysler town and country has been very good to them and the prices are very good on one year-old 2014 models. My question is has anyone here had experience with Blake model Chrysler Town & Country's and if so are they as bad as All the auto magazines make them sound? Any good experiences or are they just not as reliable? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated thanks

You need to visit some of the Caravan/T&C forums to get more details. I just picked up a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan at the end of August. I had a 1998 Sienna that was starting to show it's age and it was time for a replacement.

FCA sells a lot more Van's each year than the Japanese do in North America. I think even in Canada they sell over 50,000 Caravan's/T&C's each year. Therefore, you'll find more of a supply of used vans. They could be ex-rentals or lease repos. The reliability has improved over the older ones.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, all three of the people who speak of the Sienna... none of them actually happen own one. Thanks for the worthless opinions, guys.

One guy speaks fondly of the Aerostar, which was butt ugly and hasn't been in production for decades now. Again, thanks for the worthless opinion.

Now... I've ACTUALLY OWNED two Town and Country vans, a 2007 and a 2012.

I haven't yet been disappointed in either one. The 2007 required very little to keep it on the road, and only had one unscheduled visit to the mechanic.

I had the 2012 out on a little trip yesterday, and averaged 24mpg for the day. Out on the open road, it can turn 30 mpg.

It's a Chrysler, don't do it. Chrysler = junk.

Get a crossover, they are almost as roomy and a lot cooler AND a lot more choice.

The last and only great minivan was the Chevrolet Astro.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
From what I can tell, both of the people who speak of the Sienna... neither happens to actually own one. Thanks for the worthless opinions, guys.

One guy speaks fondly of the Aerostar, which was butt ugly and hasn't been in production for decades now. Again, thanks for the worthless opinion.

The newer Sienna's aren't as stellar as the previous Generation. If you want real world feedback visit Siennachat.com. Toyota's bean counters have gone to great length to cut quality.

One guy on Sienna chat had the tranny fail on his Sienna before he got it home from the dealer (less than 100 miles on the tranny/van). Here's the link here.
http://www.siennachat.com/forum/89-general-discussion/207537-did-i-make-mistake.html

Other people have had numerous VVTi oil failures with the 3.5L engine. https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

Read that and tell me if Toyota=quality....
If you're paying 10K more for a Van shouldn't it be better than a Caravan?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman

Get a crossover, they are almost as roomy and a lot cooler AND a lot more choice.

Crossovers will not have as much room inside.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Junk post by someone who drives a rusty chevy pickup. Ignore
spankme2.gif

My employer uses a 2011 town and country as a fleet van and it has 314k miles on it and only 2 months ago the tranny started slipping

Chryslers are OK if you get them cheap enough (sort of like GMs and Fords), get the 3.3L if possible, change the trans fluid to AF4 and put on a trans cooler. I've got a friend with 200,000 miles who has had few problems but did rebuild the trans at about 100,000.

I'm on my 7th. Dodge Grand Caravan. I put 153K trouble free miles on my 2000 GC, then sold it to my middle son. It's still going strong. In 13, I bought a 2013 Dodge GC SXT with 20,000 miles on it for a little over $20k. It has stow-n-go seats and electric doors. Now have 53k miles on it. It's been to 7 states so far. Gets 20 mpg local and about 27 mpg on the road.
The low mileage vans are usually commercial off lease units. Low mileage units usually get put on the market in bunches. If you find one you like best get is now, once the current lot is gone it may take a while before there are more available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back