To all the Valvoline Hataz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I went thru various oils specs today looking at bottles at my friendly auto parts store I noticed something...

Valvoline Durablend meets ACEA A3!!!

Yes, Siree Bob, ACEA A 3!
The toughest of the ACEA's.....

I seemed to have recalled that it was ACEA A1, but thats the Durablend 5w-30.
Still very very good for a blend 5w-30 Most full syns are only ACEA A1 in a 5w-30.

Anyway , so here we go ACEA A3 for 10w-40 Durablend just like SynPower 5w-40 (also ACEA A3)

Fred...
grin.gif

[ October 13, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

I think too much emphasis is put on the A3 spec. Mobil 1 might meet for all we know and never tested for it. Valvoline could be A100 rated and I'm still not buying there oil. Just my opinion.

[ October 13, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

A3? So what? It doesnt mean the oil is any good... Almost all 40wts here are A3 qualified. **** even my Penz 15W-30 is A3 rated..

quote:

A3? So what? It doesnt mean the oil is any good... Almost all 40wts here are A3 qualified. **** even my Penz 15W-30 is A3 rated..

A3 is important if you drive a Euro Import car!!
Most require a A3 rating.
Most 40 wts are not A3. I've never seen a dino oil that is A3?????
The only non full-synthetics that I am aware of are the Durablend and Castrol Syntec Blend in 10w-40. What the h@ll is a 15w-30....Kangaroo Pi$$.

The least expesnsive ACEA A3 oil you can buy, is the Durablend.

And a lot of more expensive oils, cant meet this important spec on which many of the most important hi end specs (Porsche , MB229.3 etc) are based.

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
The least expesnsive ACEA A3 oil you can buy, is the Durablend.

Or put in other words,...
Its likely the BEST oil in its price class $2.00 to $2.50 (barring firesales) .

Fred...
fruit.gif

I am not a Valvoline hater. I want for Valvoline motor oils to be good. But judging from VOAs and UOAs that have been displayed at this web site, Valvoline (conventional) tends to shear down and has a somewhat weaker additive package. The Durablend is probably better and costs something like $2.00 a quart.

There is a motor oil at faily reasonable cost that meets ACEA A3 as far as I know-that motor oil is Schaeffer's. About $3.00 a quart and with shipping about $4.00 a quart. Probably as good as many of the full synthetics people talk about here. I don't think I have ever heard anybody who has used it complain about it.

OK, I see your point.

I should have picked up on the "blend" part of Durablend but I was focused on the A3 rating.

It would be interesting to see which oil is the least expensive A3 rated product out there.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I doubt if there are many A3 rated motor oils cheaper then Schaeffer's, although you have to take into consideration shipping costs. Most of the European A3 rated motor oils cost a bundle. I would guess that the Schaeffer's does not have many competitors as the cheapest A3 oils in this country.

It's easy for a 10w40 to meet A3 though, since a 3.5 HTHS is easy to achieve with a 40wt oil. The impressive thing is when a 30wt oil acheives A3. Amsoil's 5w30 and 10w30, Redline's 5w30 and 10w30, GC 0w30 and Schaeffer 5w30 and 10w30 all have HTHS ratings high enough to get A3 status.

quote:

Hey you forgot about the Pennz 15W-30 I have in the garage. A3 rated too!

Leo:

They don't sell 15w-30 in North America...?
If they do I've never seen it!
You could only use it in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Southern Calif.

Yeah its one of the most whacked viscocities Ive seen. I thought it was a misprint on the bottle, but I reckon its geniune, from the A3 rating. Funny tho, penz's site has NO info on the product.. Oh and btw I live down under
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back