To all the Valvoline Hataz.

When I went thru various oils specs today looking at bottles at my friendly auto parts store I noticed something... Valvoline Durablend meets ACEA A3!!! Yes, Siree Bob, ACEA A 3! The toughest of the ACEA's..... I seemed to have recalled that it was ACEA A1, but thats the Durablend 5w-30. Still very very good for a blend 5w-30 Most full syns are only ACEA A1 in a 5w-30. Anyway , so here we go ACEA A3 for 10w-40 Durablend just like SynPower 5w-40 (also ACEA A3) Fred... [Big Grin] [ October 13, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

I think too much emphasis is put on the A3 spec. Mobil 1 might meet for all we know and never tested for it. Valvoline could be A100 rated and I'm still not buying there oil. Just my opinion. [ October 13, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Leo

A3? So what? It doesnt mean the oil is any good... Almost all 40wts here are A3 qualified. **** even my Penz 15W-30 is A3 rated..

quote:
A3? So what? It doesnt mean the oil is any good... Almost all 40wts here are A3 qualified. **** even my Penz 15W-30 is A3 rated..
A3 is important if you drive a Euro Import car!! Most require a A3 rating. Most 40 wts are not A3. I've never seen a dino oil that is A3????? The only non full-synthetics that I am aware of are the Durablend and Castrol Syntec Blend in 10w-40. What the [email protected] is a 15w-30....Kangaroo Pi$$.

palmerwmd

quote:
Originally posted by GSV: Castrol Stinktec (Group III) 10w-40 is A3 as well.
Yes but it's a group III, this is a BLEND we are talking about here. Fred... [Happy]

palmerwmd

The least expesnsive ACEA A3 oil you can buy, is the Durablend. And a lot of more expensive oils, cant meet this important spec on which many of the most important hi end specs (Porsche , MB229.3 etc) are based. Fred... [Smile]

palmerwmd

quote:
Originally posted by palmerwmd: The least expesnsive ACEA A3 oil you can buy, is the Durablend.
Or put in other words,... Its likely the BEST oil in its price class $2.00 to $2.50 (barring firesales) . Fred... [Happy]

I am not a Valvoline hater. I want for Valvoline motor oils to be good. But judging from VOAs and UOAs that have been displayed at this web site, Valvoline (conventional) tends to shear down and has a somewhat weaker additive package. The Durablend is probably better and costs something like $2.00 a quart. There is a motor oil at faily reasonable cost that meets ACEA A3 as far as I know-that motor oil is Schaeffer's. About $3.00 a quart and with shipping about $4.00 a quart. Probably as good as many of the full synthetics people talk about here. I don't think I have ever heard anybody who has used it complain about it.

GSV

OK, I see your point. I should have picked up on the "blend" part of Durablend but I was focused on the A3 rating. It would be interesting to see which oil is the least expensive A3 rated product out there. [Cheers!] [Patriot]

I doubt if there are many A3 rated motor oils cheaper then Schaeffer's, although you have to take into consideration shipping costs. Most of the European A3 rated motor oils cost a bundle. I would guess that the Schaeffer's does not have many competitors as the cheapest A3 oils in this country.

Patman

Staff member
It's easy for a 10w40 to meet A3 though, since a 3.5 HTHS is easy to achieve with a 40wt oil. The impressive thing is when a 30wt oil acheives A3. Amsoil's 5w30 and 10w30, Redline's 5w30 and 10w30, GC 0w30 and Schaeffer 5w30 and 10w30 all have HTHS ratings high enough to get A3 status.

quote:
Hey you forgot about the Pennz 15W-30 I have in the garage. A3 rated too!
Leo: They don't sell 15w-30 in North America...? If they do I've never seen it! You could only use it in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Southern Calif.

Leo

Yeah its one of the most whacked viscocities Ive seen. I thought it was a misprint on the bottle, but I reckon its geniune, from the A3 rating. Funny tho, penz's site has NO info on the product.. Oh and btw I live down under [Smile]