Title problem

I bought a ’13 Nissan Versa with a bad transmission this May on Ebay. I have it fixed up and will be selling soon so I run a quick Auto Check. The title the owner gave me was issued last October. I see he got a duplicate title this March, which makes the first title void. I assume this was an honest mistake, but it could get interesting. I just sent him a message asking if he has the latest title, and if not, he has to apply for a duplicate and send me that. We’ll see how this plays out. I know Ebay has some buyer protection thing, but the car was only $1,000 and I’ll have over $4,000 in it now so that won’t help much.

Yikes, good luck getting it sorted. I've known too many people who got bitten by title issues. This is why title change, registration, and taxes is a day one activity for me.

If I sold a car and a few months later I learned the state was still charging me taxes, I probably would file for a lost title myself.

If you paid by check, or some other verifible method and have a bill of sale, you should be OK.
Good luck.

It sounds like you did not transfer it into your name...

I hope everything works out for you but for others, always transfer the the title right away. Hopefully the original owner did not pass away or you may be dealing with a probate judge.

Exact opposite. Your title takes precedent over his since yours is older. His duplicate title has no value and no claim to the property on it.

I have been a car dealer and auto auctioneer for over 20 years. I know this world. Enjoy selling the Versa.

Exact opposite. Your title takes precedent over his since yours is older. His duplicate title has no value and no claim to the property on it.

I have been a car dealer and auto auctioneer for over 20 years. I know this world. Enjoy selling the Versa.
That is flat out false information. Once a duplicate title issued, the previous one is void.

Let me qualify it. If he transferred the title already he's fine.

If not, then he should contact the owner and ask for the duplicate title. If they ignore him I would still try to process the title it if it's out of state. If that fails then he will have documentation from the state and at that point he should contact law enforcement from the county or city where the prior owner lives.

Paper trails lead to easy conclusions in a court of law. Start making that trail.

So yesterday you buy a car from someone who titled it in 2000 and you get that title. 10 years later in 2010 when he was cleaning up his desk he can't find the title so he gets the duplicate. You think that title from 2000 is still good?

Here is Kentucky's status on duplicate vehicle titles. This is a interesting subject and I suspect every state DMV has its own statutes.

""" If the original Motor Vehicle or Boat Certificate of Title has been lost, stolen, or mutilated you may apply for a duplicate title. The duplicate title will void any title previously issued in the state of Kentucky. """

The issue here is- the original title is not lost, stolen, or mutilated.... It may have been lost, but it is not now..... Fascinating....

If the original Motor Vehicle or Boat Certificate of Title has been lost, stolen, or mutilated you may apply for a duplicate title. The duplicate title will void any title previously issued in the state of Kentucky.
That's what I've been saying all along and is true for probably all states.

That's what I've been saying all along and is true for probably all states.
The issue is- you have the original title in your possession, and you are the rightful owner.

The original title is not lost, stolen, or mutilated. Might mean the duplicate title is no longer valid..... I understand the original title may have been lost at one time, but you have it now... so it is not lost.

I suspect this may be Macarose's point.

But the issue is- the original title, which you have in your possession, and you are the rightful owner. So the original title is not lost, stolen, or mutilated. Might mean the duplicate title is not valid..... I understand the original title may have been lost at one time, but you have it now... so it is not lost.
But the owner at one time must have lost the title he gave me and got a duplicate, which renders this one void. The issuance of the duplicate automatically voids the original. I already talked to the NC DMV and they told me this.

But the owner at one time must have lost the title he gave me and got a duplicate, which renders this one void. The issuance of the duplicate automatically voids the original.
That is a technical/ legal issue for a legal eagle to provide expert opinion on. Likely has been prior court rulings in every state on the issue to which a legal expert would refer to for precedence IN THE STATE THE TITLE WAS ISSUED.

It appears the duplicate title in your possession was issued erroneously (or with criminal intent). Does the duplicate title still take precedence over the original title. Probably not if it was issued erroneously or with criminal intent. BUT IT IS STATE DEPENDENT.

Last edited:
Back