Tires siped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The major tire dealer around here (Les Schwab) recommends tire siping on all season tires for better winter traction. I went to their web site and read the information. Has anyone done this to their tires?

I'd buy better tires than doing (adding siping) the red-neck way...

To me they are just trying to make some $$$ out of you anyways.

Q.

I'd be afraid that by cutting the tread blocks that it would introduce a lot of squirm (wander) or noise.

I heard of this back in the day, for blocky MT type off road tires. For modern all seasons??!?

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Yep its very common here....although never had it done myself.

I forgot to ask the guy at Les Schwab how much they charged to sipe tires. I found some videos on youtube showing the process, kind of interesting. They have to keep the tire wet while the blade is cutting into the rubber, you can see some smoke while they are doing it.

I could see doing it on mud terrains for winter use, but not on a regular all season. I can't imagine the manufacturer would allow it.

My dad had some Cooper Discoverer ATR's siped once. They do not do it real deep, so it doesn't affect tread stability much at all. He drives a 2500HD Duramax and it helped keep his rear end behind him. He thought it helped.

I had a tire store try to sell that on the last set of tires I bought and I replied that I can't see cutting up a brand new set of tires.
grin.gif

Meh, put that money toward a set of real winter tires. Yes it's adding edges, but the compound is still a stiff all-season compound instead of a pliable winter compound.

if it was such a good idea wouldnt the mfr do it? IIRC, a major consumer magazine voted against it - although I am currently too lazy to go validate ...

I've had it done on passenger and M/T tires and it works very well. They do not cut deep, and in no way does it harm you're tire. the naysayer arm chair expert tire guys with zero experience here really shouldn't comment.

siping on all seasons from new is very common and REALLLY helps the all seasons stick better to ice better.

Personally I'd rather invest in a better set of all seasons/winter tires to begin with.

I personally wouldn't pay for it.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I've had it done on passenger and M/T tires and it works very well. They do not cut deep, and in no way does it harm you're tire. the naysayer arm chair expert tire guys with zero experience here really shouldn't comment.

Modern tire sipes are molded into the tread and include advanced features like 3D self-locking patterns to make the tread less squirmy. Even winter tires have them.

Just adding sipes (with simple cuts) that weren't designed by the manufacturer isn't exactly a zero-sum game. You want a heavily siped tire? Then get one since there are many available. Aftermarket siping affects most warranties as an unauthorized modification.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I'd buy better tires than doing (adding siping) the red-neck way...

To me they are just trying to make some $$$ out of you anyways.

Q.

+1

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Last winter I got a set of Goodyear Workhorse tires from my parents. First snow storm, they were not that great on the hard packed stuff - even studded.

I took a utility knife and added 2-3 sipes to each of the non-studded tread blocks.

Made a huge difference.

Ended up giving the tires back to my father to run on his truck this winter as his were extremely old.``

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back