Tires for the Sonata

I choose Hankook V2 H/P A/S 215/45/R17 for the forte and have very little noise, great grip with even a little traction in light snow..

But for the sonata I did something a little different and went with a high mileage 75K treadwear Hankook Kinergy 205/65/R16. The reviews are average, but imho they are a pretty decent oem tire with a high tread wear rating that does not make too many sacrifices in a daily driver, such as the Sonata.

Also note that the 2006-10 Sonata specs a V-rated tire. I think that generation of Sonata started the trend of mainstream sedans that specced a V speed rating in base trim. Personally, I would be fine with an H-rated tire on that car, but the guy staring at specs on a computer screen in the tire shop might not.

You might check out the Nokian all season tire selections. They can be ordered online through the Walmart site.

I use them on a BMW X5

Providing any of the tires I mention come in your size and are not out of your price range, I do like the idea of:

*Continental TrueContact "TOUR" as compared to just the TrueContact
*Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season PLUS 3 which replaced the PLUS II
*Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack
*Good/Year Assurance ComfortDrive(previously Comfortred).
*General Altimax RT43. My favorite for the price. Although the price is up like everything else and if they're still around. The RT43 seem to get better ratings than the new RT45
H-rated for the RT43 , little better handling .

Well, I thought this Tupperware car ('07 Hyundai Sonata) would be fine with some cheapo tires. I was wrong. I bought it in October and it had some 7 year old GT Radials that other than poor traction in the rain, were fine. I wanted new tires to safely drive it in our heat and maybe out of town on the interstate. I bought some cheap Milestar MS932 tires on sale as the ratings seem that they're somewhat ok. They're insanely loud, they sound like you're driving on the rumble strip on the side of the freeway when at 35 mph and 60 mph.

Anyways, I'm throwing in the towel and putting another set on it. Looking for suggestions. Thinking of just going all out and putting Continental True Contacts on it, which I have had great experiences with, and calling it good. But open to other suggestions. Just want something that isn't insanely loud. And maybe not as expensive as the Continentals? Not sure this car is worth it. But my sanity might be worth it. 🤷‍♂. 215/60R16 tires.

Not Michelin.
Still like the continentals. Look at the wet/ winter braking tests from TR. Getting a new set myself. Not exactly cheap, but cheaper than Michelin. Vredestein HiTracs are also an option and were going to be cheaper with 100 rebate from TR in December, but were out of stock. Not sure about the New Defender2. Looks like traction and temp are BB.

Last edited:
Well, I thought this Tupperware car ('07 Hyundai Sonata) would be fine with some cheapo tires. I was wrong. I bought it in October and it had some 7 year old GT Radials that other than poor traction in the rain, were fine. I wanted new tires to safely drive it in our heat and maybe out of town on the interstate. I bought some cheap Milestar MS932 tires on sale as the ratings seem that they're somewhat ok. They're insanely loud, they sound like you're driving on the rumble strip on the side of the freeway when at 35 mph and 60 mph.

Anyways, I'm throwing in the towel and putting another set on it. Looking for suggestions. Thinking of just going all out and putting Continental True Contacts on it, which I have had great experiences with, and calling it good. But open to other suggestions. Just want something that isn't insanely loud. And maybe not as expensive as the Continentals? Not sure this car is worth it. But my sanity might be worth it. 🤷‍♂. 215/60R16 tires.

Not Michelin.
You may have already solved your tire problem and if you did, thats ok. This may help others. Tire information is available at Tirerack and that is my first source for honest information about tire behavior in the real world. They have, thru user reviews and what I have learned on my own, guided successful purchase of wholly satisfactory tires for me for the last 20 years. Do I buy my tires from them? Usually not, but their website is loaded with useful information to make an informed decision. Read and learn...see what other people say about the tires. Granted some reviews are by people who couldn't write a coherent sentence if their life depended on it, but there are useful reviews of most popular tires if you take the time to search for them and then read. And focus as much as possible on how the tire in question behaves on cars that share the same design as yours. Different car, different driving experience. Good luck!

So far so good on these Suredrive tires installed on an older vehicle.

Seems like a bargain. Reportedly a rebranded Kumho tire---tire says on the sidewall that it was made in Korea.

Still head over heals for these Kumho LX Platinums
Off topic-
You probably already did but https://www.hyundai-forums.com/ has a lot of great information if you need. Detailed write-ups for so many common encountered problems. You can search my same user name there. Good luck with it. Mine served me very well with more comfort than the Accord that replaced it IMO. PM me if I can answer questions.

A set of H7 HID's will get you great visibility with nice pattern in those projectors.

I had an '07 stick shift. It went 220k before motor went. Keep the oil changed and full, I would check mine each fill up which I do with all my cars. After about 100k it got many 1/4 qt top offs. I think my demise was the chain/tensioner for the balance shaft module (it sits behind the timing chain). Started as vibration we thought was the leaking motor mount that got replaced. VERY shortly after it got much worse and something let go spraying oil all over motor. Wasn't worth the cost with mileage to do the timing and BSM chains for me. You wouldn't know if the balance shaft module which contains oil pump was bad until reassembled OR just replace originally for an added cost. At the time I searched only factory available for $600.

1680330566894.jpeg

Back