Tires for...Stash?

I've never believed in taking the tires down to the 2/32nd of tread depth when in fact in my experience, tires do degrade heavily once past 1/2 tread. Yeah, I just don't like'em after that and especially since the other tires siping etc. are gone even if the rain grooves remain. My wife yells(not really) at me for spending money on tires too early but, I just tell her how much I love her & care about her safety and things are cool! ;)

That's fine if you don't plan on driving in the rain at highway speeds. I wouldn't want to share the highway with a driver using 4/32 tires in a rainstorm.

even full thread tyres can be overwhelmed by standing water in the rain. Been there, done that. Once the water level is deeper than the thread you don't get any benefit beyond slick tyres so slow down.

I find they are at their best with low thread. But maybe that's because I run UHP summer tyres vs all-seasons.
Yup, those UHP are definitely in a category of their own and the more rubber on the road will always contribute to better grip...though grip is important to me, it's not my top priority and I don't own a car that can benefit from UHP tires. Performance sure but, just not Ultra High! :D

Do it, if you "really" are getting a good deal. Don't let your politics/ emotions get into the mix though.

I find myself "stranded" with a pair of new 185 65r15s for my old prius while my new one takes 195s. They're up on FB marketplace, no biters.

New tires have a waxy preservative, keep them in the dark away from heat and ozone and they'll age more slowly.

Yup, those UHP are definitely in a category of their own and the more rubber on the road will always contribute to better grip...though grip is important to me, it's not my top priority and I don't own a car that can benefit from UHP tires. Performance sure but, just not Ultra High! :D

I agree that you need a vehicle capable of using UHP tyres. Luckily there's quite few that can. I suppose UHP is where I draw the line aswell, the extreme performance summers are really dry weather tyres, that can be used with care in the rain. Analogous with all-seasons that can be used in light snow with care.

I found the original crossclimates to be extremely grippy, but the cc+ traded wet grip for more thread life and the cc2 apparently traded wet and dry grip for more thread life and winter capability. I liked them a lot for non-summer use.

That's fine if you don't plan on driving in the rain at highway speeds. I wouldn't want to share the highway with a driver using 4/32 tires in a rainstorm.
I kind of feel the same way about somebody driving a 25 year old vehicle................

Tires aren't really something you want to stash since the rubber degrades over time :unsure:

Judging by the wear you have now (75k over 5/32, so 15k per 32nd), you still have 45k to the wear bars.

Since you're happy with the T+H and are on track to get 100k out of them, get another set :)

If you get a good deal, why not. I bought 20 of these Bridgestones 3 years ago when after rebates and discounts, cost just $42 from a regular price of $100. Have 12 left.

View attachment 55817
I hope that's for multiple cars. Many tire people in my area won't mount tires for you if the date code shows the tires being over 4 or 5 years old.

One set of 4 Continental ProContact in 195-65-15. 'Twas years ago at Sears Auto Center.
There was a hodge-podge of single tires and my set.
Had the space. I was happy to see them mounted up when the time came.
Never again.

I bet you do all the time and never know it.

Different strokes. I want the tires fresh. I just approximate when my tires will wear out then go to DT around any holiday deal time and buy them mounted and balanced and done.

Tires are perishable on aging, I wouldn't stock them unless it is a buy 4 and get a rebate deal and I need 2 right now.
Yes, but you can slow that down quite a bit by bagging in dark plastic bags and keeping them away from any sources of ozone.

I have a spare set sitting around for all 3 vehicles, and that includes a set already mounted on a chrome set of Lariat wheels for the Ranger. 1500 miles on the tires, and I picked the whole set up for $450.

People putting big dumb wheels and tires on their brand new trucks is a godsend for those of us that are keeping things stock. Why buy tires when you can have wheels as well.

Back