Tires for Silverado....265-70-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didnt go any longer than others on the wreckers...the longevity champ was actually the Firestone Steeltex. It is less about tire quality than it is about Michelin's absolute conviction that they NEVER made a bad tire!

And I agree that would have lost my business, too. Nobody burns me twice!

Add that steeltex are good tires, wore well, but suffered the usual loss of performance as they wore down. I don't know why the LTX M/S's don't seem to lose performance with wear but they just don't.

Last edited:
Never noticed any real loss of performance...except that worn tires didn't work as well in snow (which is to be expected...it's all about tread depth there). Chuck (Da Boss) switched to Hi-tech Retreading/Treadwright (yes, at my suggestion) maybe 8 years ago & will never go back! They are about HALF the cost of anything else (right at one third the price of an LTX!) & work just as well.

(Yes, I DID get a raise out of that.)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Do you prefer.to get the Michelin KoolAid by the drum or in bulk from the tanker?

Note: the first, last, and ONLY tire I have ever had fail with no prior damage was a Michelin. (LTX A/T, 215/85R16E) Predictably, Michelin's response was "our tires are perfect, thus, it's your fault!"

And there it is. Who's biased? Any manufacturer of anything has failures. If they say they don't they are lying. Maybe it was a bad tire, that in no way lessens the validity of what I and others have said here. I can go find somebody that had a failure of the tire you have now. Give me a break.

The LTX M+S/M+S2 are very good tires there can be no debate on that. If anyone claims they are not a premium tire they don't know tires. To me the debate starts when the question is do you actually get more out of them for that premium price vs other tires that cost less.

In my personal experience they do not give you more for that MUCH higher price tag. If the ride, noise, tread life, bad weather performance, etc... were significantly better than other tires that cost less then they would be worth the crazy prices they cost. I have not seen that improved performance to match the higher price and especially of note I have not seen any longer tread life which seems to be a talking point for the supporters. Not the original M+S's anyway. The 3 sets of Firestone Destination LE's I ran had much better tread life than the 2 sets of the original LTX M+S's.

Note - to be honest and in full disclosure my personal experience is limited to the original M+S( 2 sets run ). I have not run the M+S2's as they are just too expensive to even try. I do know a couple guys who run them and I have tried my best to "observe" how they handle and last. Have not been impressed by them to feel they are above the original M+S's in performance or tread life. Seem pretty simialr to me? Not enough difference for sure to shell out $200-$300+ extra a set vs other options to try them.

I have seen the same or better performance in all aspects from tires that cost $75+ less each. I just can't justify the extra price of the Michelins as I don't get any extra benefit from them. The Firestone Destination LE's I have run have been every bit as good as the original M+S's I ran and in my experience they were better in the snow. Like the M+S going to a version 2 so has the LE and the new LE2 is a great tire too. I am very happy with my new LE2's for a fraction of what a set of LTX M+S2's would have set me back if available. Even if the LE2's wear out 10K faster it is still worth buying them as the price difference is a lot more than 10K worth of tread life.

With the Destination LE2's out there for so much less than the LTX M+S2's I can't see spending upwards of $100 more p/tire( size dependant )for little if any extra return on the money. Now, if your experience is different by all means run the Michelins. All that matters is that the person who owns and drives the vehicle likes the tires. Not some fools on the internet.
11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ufbbc
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Do you prefer.to get the Michelin KoolAid by the drum or in bulk from the tanker?

Note: the first, last, and ONLY tire I have ever had fail with no prior damage was a Michelin. (LTX A/T, 215/85R16E) Predictably, Michelin's response was "our tires are perfect, thus, it's your fault!"

And there it is. Who's biased? Any manufacturer of anything has failures. If they say they don't they are lying. Maybe it was a bad tire, that in no way lessens the validity of what I and others have said here. I can go find somebody that had a failure of the tire you have now. Give me a break.

Do you have a special computer that lets you read something I never posted? I understand that any company can make a bad tire...but Michelin insists they never have, because if you say they did, they insist it is your fault!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back