Tires for Silverado....265-70-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without a doubt, LTX M/S 2. I have them on my Silverado. Plus I have had them before on other vehicles (M/S). I promise you there is no need to consider anything else, even given the price.

Originally Posted By: ufbbc
Without a doubt, LTX M/S 2. I have them on my Silverado. Plus I have had them before on other vehicles (M/S). I promise you there is no need to consider anything else, even given the price.

Those Michelins are literally $100 more EACH than the Firestone LE2's. 70% more total. If anyone gets 70% more life out of them, I'll buy them a Coke.

Originally Posted By: kam327
Those Michelins are literally $100 more EACH than the Firestone LE2's. 70% more total. If anyone gets 70% more life out of them, I'll buy them a Coke.

From where? On Tire Rack, the Michelins are $218 each and the Firestones are $142 each. The Michelins are still more expensive, but not $100 more. The total difference on a set of four is $304, which is closer to a 50% premium. The Michelin's tread wear rating is about 35% better than the Firestone's, so factoring that in, they're maybe a 15% premium. The Michelin also has a better temperature grade than the Firestone (A vs. B). Is that worth a 15% premium? Only the individual buyer can make that decision for himself.

Be sure to compare apples to apples, in terms of load ratings. There are some LT-rated M/S2s which are more expensive, but shouldn't be compared with the LE2, which is a P-metric only tire (at least in this size and on Tire Rack).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

From where? On Tire Rack, the Michelins are $218 each and the Firestones are $142 each. The Michelins are still more expensive, but not $100 more. The total difference on a set of four is $304, which is closer to a 50% premium. The Michelin's tread wear rating is about 35% better than the Firestone's, so factoring that in, they're maybe a 15% premium. The Michelin also has a better temperature grade than the Firestone (A vs. B). Is that worth a 15% premium? Only the individual buyer can make that decision for himself.

Be sure to compare apples to apples, in terms of load ratings. There are some LT-rated M/S2s which are more expensive, but shouldn't be compared with the LE2, which is a P-metric only tire (at least in this size and on Tire Rack).

My Bad: I sorted by highest price and only noticed the $240 Michelin. Now I see you’re correct, there is a $218 version.

Your Bad: The Michelin’s treadwear warranty is 17% better than the Firestone’s (70k vs 60k). Total price premium for the Michelins, even after accounting for their current $70 rebate, is 41%. So 41% more for 17% more tread life? Not a good deal in my book. Plus the Firestone’s full replacement policy is a little sweeter.

RE the temp grade, as long as the OP doesn’t plan on traveling over 100mph for extended periods, either A or B will be just fine.

My Bad: I sorted by highest price and only noticed the $240 Michelin. Now I see you’re correct, there is a $218 version.

Your Bad: The Michelin’s treadwear warranty is 17% better than the Firestone’s (70k vs 60k). Total price premium for the Michelins, even after accounting for their current $70 rebate, is 41%. So 41% more for 17% more tread life? Not a good deal in my book. Plus the Firestone’s full replacement policy is a little sweeter.

RE the temp grade, as long as the OP doesn’t plan on traveling over 100mph for extended periods, either A or B will be just fine.

You are tilting at windmills trying to convince people on this forum that Firestone Destination LE/LE2's are a better overall deal than Michelin LTX M+S/M+S2's. Don't waste your time. You never will do it. I am with you that the Firestones are a better deal. But to each his or her own. The Michelins are very good too. Just too $$$ IMHO.

Last edited:

We already KNOW how far the Michelins will go. The LE2's are still an unknown as far as real world treadwear results...

The Michelin’s treadwear warranty is 17% better than the Firestone’s (70k vs 60k). Total price premium for the Michelins, even after accounting for their current $70 rebate, is 41%. So 41% more for 17% more tread life? Not a good deal in my book.

You are correct that the difference in warranty length isn't commensurate with the difference in treadwear rating. This is why I personally defer to the treadwear rating to try to get a relative comparison of life expectancy of their tires. Though there's still some wiggle room in how the manufacturers assign a treadwear rating (the 520 number), it is supposed to be based on a test procedure that is standardized across the industry. But each manufacturer has absolute freedom in how they warrant their tires, and I'm sure we'd both agree that there's quite a bit of marketing that goes on with that.

True, there should be no problem with a B grade tire. I would prefer the tire with the greater heat capability, but as I said above, each individual buyer will have to make that choice for themselves. The OP does live in Missouri (which experiences pretty hot summers), and he did say that the truck is driven mostly on pavement. He also did not exclude towing from the truck's duty, so I feel that the temperature grade difference is at least worth mentioning.

I think that for most people, and among these two tires, the Firestones are the best value. I've recommended these tires to co-workers (and they're happy with them), and I've owned Firestones myself (though not any from the Destination line). My intent with my post was not to persuade one way or another, but to point out the true relative cost difference between the two, and note that each buyer will have to assign his or her own value to the Michelin tire's longer life and better heat resistance grade. Each of us will weigh those attributes differently.

I replaced the original tires on my 2005 Silverado with Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza tires. They weren't cheap, but they wear like iron, are quiet and are good in the rain. When I sold the 2005, I switched the Bridgestones for the Generals on the 2010 Silverado.

True, there should be no problem with a B grade tire. I would prefer the tire with the greater heat capability, but as I said above, each individual buyer will have to make that choice for themselves. The OP does live in Missouri (which experiences pretty hot summers), and he did say that the truck is driven mostly on pavement. He also did not exclude towing from the truck's duty, so I feel that the temperature grade difference is at least worth mentioning.

I think that for most people, and among these two tires, the Firestones are the best value. I've recommended these tires to co-workers (and they're happy with them), and I've owned Firestones myself (though not any from the Destination line). My intent with my post was not to persuade one way or another, but to point out the true relative cost difference between the two, and note that each buyer will have to assign his or her own value to the Michelin tire's longer life and better heat resistance grade. Each of us will weigh those attributes differently.

As someone who pulls a travel trailer spring, summer, and fall, I prefer that added margin that an "A" temperature rated tire *should* provide.

I've had to deal with tire failures on the rear axle, while pulling a travel trailer and a boat, in the past. Granted, tire technology has advanced in the past 20 years. But, it is one reason why I don't skrimp now.

As I mentioned a week or so ago, at current wear rates, I should have 67,000 miles on my LTX's when they hit 3/32" of tread.

That's all? I figure the Treadwrights on my Jeep might go 100K. They still have 10/32 tread with just shy of 30,000 miles.

Have heard of nasty blowouts from treadwrights from guys I met while offroading Appalachian Mountains in PA. Just googled this: Treadwright Failures

If you are only going to evaluate the tire on how long it lasts, or cost per mile out of pocket you may be right. But that's like picking a wife for how long she's gonna live, not how she looks or acts. Your choice. Understand there is a difference in COST and VALUE. I assure you the Michelins are a better value. How do I know? Because I have had several sets of the Michelins on a couple vehicles and other brands on the same vehicles. So I can directly compare them based on performance, ride, life, etc. I always pay the extra for the Michelins now. Do you think I would do that if it wasn't worth it?

Do you think I would do that if it wasn't worth it?

I don't think you'd do that if you didn't think it was worth it, no. But not everyone will think it's worth it.

Myself, I buy Michelins as well. I don't always recommend them to others, though, because others don't always see the value in them that I do. And that's cool. The Firestones in question here are also great tires.

Yeah, everyone's perceptions are different. Then there's their personal situation as well.

I guess that's why there's more than one brand of tire!

If you are only going to evaluate the tire on how long it lasts, or cost per mile out of pocket you may be right. But that's like picking a wife for how long she's gonna live, not how she looks or acts. Your choice. Understand there is a difference in COST and VALUE. I assure you the Michelins are a better value. How do I know? Because I have had several sets of the Michelins on a couple vehicles and other brands on the same vehicles. So I can directly compare them based on performance, ride, life, etc. I always pay the extra for the Michelins now. Do you think I would do that if it wasn't worth it?

Absolutely yes, if you are the Michelin cultist I expect you are. You sound like the people actually defending the XRVs, some of which exploded WHILE PARKED! It would be funny if it werent so sad.

I don't even know what the XRV is. Who cares. Maybe they are junk. I was only talking about the LTX's, and I can vouch for those. In no way do I believe Michelins are the best tire in every application. So I doubt I qualify as a cultist. I can also tell you this - I get my tires from Costco, Costco sends their tire guys to Michelin school. At the Michelin school the Michelin engineers told the Costco guys the ONE tire that they are most proud of is the LTX. Over all their performance tires, everything. I heard this story less than a year ago when I got my last set of LTX's, so it in no way biased me (I had 2 sets on 2 different vehicles before that some maybe 20 years ago). Look at the ratings on tirerack.com - I am far from alone. I not a fan of the French. But they do 3 things well - wine, cheese, and LTX tires. (I know they are not made in France, but they are a French company))

Last edited:
We've had LTX's on all three of our Expeditions, and my old Explorer. We just keep going back to them. We've never had a blow-out, never had a tire that wouldn't balance right, they wear like iron, are silent, ride well and are actually reasonably capable in snow, ice, dirt, light mud...etc. And they've all been made in the USA
thumbsup2.gif

Do you prefer.to get the Michelin KoolAid by the drum or in bulk from the tanker?

Note: the first, last, and ONLY tire I have ever had fail with no prior damage was a Michelin. (LTX A/T, 215/85R16E) Predictably, Michelin's response was "our tires are perfect, thus, it's your fault!"

Sorry, but one bad one ain't no big deal. Time to get over it.

We buy 12-16 a YEAR! In all my years of buying nothing but LTX MS series truck tires I have had ONE bad tire. It was promptly replaced at no cost to me.

They last up to 3 times as long as the competition and make you wonder if you also got new suspension components the truck drives so nice. Plus they will save your bacon in the rain!!!

Other types I don't know about, but the LTX MS series is absolutely the best I have ever used by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back