Tires for Caddy...235/70R15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says most of it...1979 Coupe de Ville, running 235/70R15's, currently Cooper Cobra GT's, will need new tires this spring. I used to run performance tires (235/70VR15, as used by the CHP), but can't get them anymore.

So...does anyone still make a speed-rated performance tire in a 235/70R15?

I know the Coopers are T rated...I was hoping for H, or V is possible.

The CHP no longer uses 15" tires. AFAIK...only the Caprices ran 235/70R15's.

no one makes a higher speed rated tire with those massive sidewalls anymore.

Not sure if it's good news or bad news, but I believe there is still an option. That was the tire size used on Rolls Royces and Bentleys from the late 60s into the 80s, and the "proper" tires for those cars (in that size with a V speed rating) are still made by Avon. However, they come at a Rolls Royce price - $350 to $400 per tire. I would be looking for a good T rated alternative if it were me...

You might also try an contact @:

http://www.evooa.org/

I belive this was also the size used on SSP Crown Vics up until roughly 97, so there may be some one reproducing something in small numbers. (I'm going to guess an Eagle of some sort) Worth a shot and if you really want it and it might be cheaper (not much) than RR tires...
wink.gif

Edit: and they did at one time have a yahoo group...

Last edited:
P71 Vics used 225/70R15's...IIRC, only the Caprices & the short-lived police Tahoe used the 235/70R15's (both had V-rated Eagles OEM).

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Title says most of it...1979 Coupe de Ville, running 235/70R15's, currently Cooper Cobra GT's, will need new tires this spring. I used to run performance tires (235/70VR15, as used by the CHP), but can't get them anymore.

So...does anyone still make a speed-rated performance tire in a 235/70R15?

Well, I'll tell ya what!
Of the tires in your size listed on The Tire Rack, most of them are for turck/suv's with the exception of the first 4 tires.

1)General Altimax RT...A very good tire for almost any vehicle today but, I couldn't answer how they'd be on a '79 Caddy. Funny thing is, my buddy has'em on a '61 Corvette and he loves'em

2)Kumho Solus KR-21...A fine tire too but, they're wearout warranty isn't holding up; 80,000 miles and most owners aren't getting anywhere near that. Only getting about 1/2(40K miles) and Kumho's price has been climbing due to their popularity.

3)BFGoodrich Radial T/A...Not a bad tire but, a very expensive and dated design that BFGoodrich may or may not be updating the rubber compound as time goes on; keeping them competitive. I never thought they were anything special either, just MHO! The T/A's are popular amongst the muscle car crowd as they seem to be the most period correct tires for those older muscle car. Those whom I know using them, like'em but, they are what they are!

4)Firehawk INDY 500...I personaly have the Firestone FIREHAWK INDY 500 on my 1980 Firebird FORMULA V8 and they're the best tire I have ever had on this car and I have owned it since new! The INDY 500 have absolutely transformed the car into something that I actually like to drive these days and they're a new(er), maybe the newest design with the highest customer rating of their type(Eagle GT-old version, Dunlop GT Qualifire-discontinued, Cooper Cobra-Ah, so-so!, Kelley Charger-haven't seen these in a while & BFG T/A's)...

1st choice...I beleive that the General Altimax RT would be the best "overall tire" of all the tires listed for your Caddy[Jarlaxle] depending on how you drive the car and what kind of suspension setup you have.

The Altimax have the best/newest design with great hydroplaning resistance and very good performacne for a passenger type tire. Will outperform many muscle car type tires but not true HP tires. More than enough for a '79 Caddy and the best price of the bunch with at least a "T" speed rating!

2nd choice...INDY 500("S" speed rating) but not for a Caddy unless you want raised white letters(RWL). For a Firebird or true muscle car, YES, as they do have the look for these cars. The INDY 500 have improved my Firebird's cornering ability, ride, over broken pavement and straight line tracking on the hiwy, as these cars tend to wander on their best day.

There may be other tires too that are better choices, IDK!
This is just my personal opinion based on personal experience with many of the tires listed. I haven't seen many tires in 235-70-15 that fit the bill as a HP tire.

Last edited:
I have Cooper Cobras now...RWL is no big deal, I can just flip the letters in. Also seen Kelly Navigators in that size, though not lately.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...alse&cs=235

I have the Hankook because I needed WSW. Good tire at a good price. Caddy dealers love to sell the Vogue tire listed.

Unless you have done some very serious suspension and performance mods, no way will you need a H or V rated tire. I had Goodyear GT+4 in your size , it was V rated , but was junk. Goodyear made a lot of money selling that tire and the RSA to gov't agencies for cop cars. Fast wear was it's most notable feature.

Last edited:
Quote:
Unless you have done some very serious suspension and performance mods, no way will you need a H or V rated tire.

I have: Impala SS steering box, full Hotchkiss suspension with oversized swaybars & adjustable rear control arms, rear disc conversion, and, of course, the stroker engine.

Quote:
Unless you have done some very serious suspension and performance mods, no way will you need a H or V rated tire.

I have: Impala SS steering box, full Hotchkiss suspension with oversized swaybars & adjustable rear control arms, rear disc conversion, and, of course, the stroker engine.

I'd like to see a picture of this Caddy
smile.gif

Does it have the spoke wheel covers on it?
Is it a sleeper?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Maybe it time to change the size of the tires/wheels to...16" or 17" as to have a wider choice of available HP tires!
smile.gif

Quote:
Awesome!

For a few years now I've been thinking about getting a nice B-body and doing the same thing. In my virtual build, though, I include some new wheels because good 28 inch tires for 15 inch wheels don't exist anymore.

Choices of performance tires for 15" wheels are drying up. I've made the switch to from the 9C1 Caprice size of P235/70R15 (28" tall) to P255/70R15 (29" tall).

I currently have a full set of Kumho Road Venture APT KL51s on my '95 Caprice Wagon mounted on 15" x 7" LT1 / 9C1 steel wheels.

Pros:
* H-rated tires for not much more than S or T rated tires of the same size.

* Same section width as stock LT1 Impala SS tires.

* 29" tall tires fill up the wheel wells really nice, gives a slightly beefier look.

Cons:
* Your speedometer will be off a little bit.

* If you have a limited slip rear end, will need to switch to a 29" tall spare tire as well. A P235/75R15 is slightly cheaper option or just get a fifth one the same P255/70R15 size.

* Possible minor rubbing on full steering lock, varies from car to car.

Awesome fleet Joel, especially for someone from around here. How'd you manage to be here for six years and only post three times?

I'm using Broadway "Classics" (Sigma brand I think)on my '79 Coupe deVille. They have the correct size whitewall (1.25"). Not a high performance tire though. They're similar to what Coker makes for this style of car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Awesome fleet Joel, especially for someone from around here. How'd you manage to be here for six years and only post three times?

Thank you Stu_Rock. I spend most of my time lurking on this forum. With my fleet of small blocks, my oil needs aren't all that complicated.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back