Tired of ordering Amsoil - Need a new oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blsnelling
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
PP will do fine. Remember this is a torque monster and it makes it at low rpms. I prefer to err on the thicker side or I should say the higher HTHS side. I have to throw Redline out there because I truly believe it's the best for your engine but it's hard to justify the price. I wouldn't go thinner than a 10w-30 in most brands or 5w-30 with Redline.

In reality keeping a good tune on it without detonation and any decent oil will let the old 3.8L last forever.

What mods do you have and how much boost are you running?

Unless convinced otherwise, 10W-30 PP it is.

You asked, so here it is:)
3.4" WBS MPS---Yella Terra 1.84 RRs---ZZP Silver Ceramic Coated PEMs---Wrapped Crossover---3" ZZP SS DP w/hi-flow cat---Gutted Air Box w/ EA Panel Filter---180 T-stat - Drilled---AL104 Plugs @ 0.052"---Denso O2 Sensor---Turned Upper Mounts---Solid Tranny Mount---KYB GR2s---GMPD Susp Upgrade Kit---All Energy Poly Bushings---BFG Traction T/A H---DHP PowrTuned

I have been spending days reading everything I could find and basically 30 weight is not for performance engines such as yours and mine. For example, Mercedes does not allow it for AMG models and BMW does not allow it for M models. The most recommended oil in the new owners manual of the most expensive cars is Mobil 1 0w40, which is technically a European Formula even though it doesn't say it like other brands. Before this 5w40 was the most recommended, specifically Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula, Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula(Ferrari), Motul 8100 X-CESS, Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic, 76 Pure Synthetic. 10w40 is only recommended from Motul 6100 Synergie+ and Shell Helix Ultra(Ferrari). 5w50 is only recommended from Mobil 1 although BMW does mention Syntec and Synpower but not specifically. This information was gathered from the owners manuals of the most expensive cars from the last few years.

Just get Edge 5W-30, if you cannot find Amsoil....i do think that you can go 10K miles if you are using a good quality Air and Oil Filter......although IMHO Platinum will do just fine....

Check on the Redline site for local distributors. There's a performance shop 2 miles from my office that sells their complete line, with the exception of motorcycle oils.

Originally Posted By: blsnelling
I was just looking at Edge and it looks like a very promising oil that should fit my needs well. So PP or Edge?

Either one is a good choice. Edge is rather pricey. You can buy 5qt jugs of PP at Walmart for $20 (and there's even a $15 rebate these days).

I've got the AA coupons and rebate for Edge. Looks mighty tempting. Especially considering it's designed for long drain intervals like I do.

I just bought 10 quarts of Castrol Edge 10W-30. I bought it 5 quarts per ticket and used $10 off coupons on each. I'll mail in the $15 rebates as well. Ends up only about $2/qt!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back