Tired of ordering Amsoil - Need a new oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Amsoil 5W-30 in my '99 Buick Regal for the past several of years. This car has the supercharged 3800 and has been mildly modified. It was custom street tuned and runs perfect at all RPMs. The car sees almost 100% interstate driving and very little full throttle use. I currently change the oil at 10K mile intervals using Wix filters. I will typically use about 1 qt of oil in 10K miles. The one UOA I did on it was on a 7500 mile interval and showed the oil good for continued use.

I'm tired of having to mail order Amsoil and want to go to a locally available off the shelf oil. I'm favorable to both Mobil 1 products as well as Penzoil Platinum. I use PP 5W-30 in my van and am very happy with it. It runs great and doesn't use a drop. Do I need a little thicker oil in the Regal, or not sweat the 1qt in 10K miles that it uses. What would you recommend?

Originally Posted By: nfs480
I buy my Amsoil from my local Napa, have you been to a Napa near you to see if they carry any?
I might give that a try. I do like the oil and knowing that I'm well protected for the 10K intervals. For that matter, I could probably go longer. I just don't want to deal with the UOAs to prove it to myself.

to each his own, but all I did was sign up for preferred customer, ordered one case per car, and I don't need to get oil for 2 years. my PC expired a year ago and I still have enough oil left in my stash.
but to answer your question, there are plenty of good off the shelf oils, platinum is popular here.

I don't know why you would complain about using 1qt every 10k. I've seen Amsoil at Murrays.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
to each his own, but all I did was sign up for preferred customer, ordered one case per car, and I don't need to get oil for 2 years. my PC expired a year ago and I still have enough oil left in my stash.
but to answer your question, there are plenty of good off the shelf oils, platinum is popular here.

I've done exactly that. But I'm now out of oil and don't want to pay to renew. I'll check out some local sources. I'd still like to consider some alternatives. Any that you would be comfortable running for 10K miles?

The 3800 will run fine on a 10w-30 or 15w-40.

I don't get why people hate ordering oil. It's easier than going to the store. Click the mouse a few times and the oil shows up on the doorstep. What could be easier?

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I don't get why people hate ordering oil. It's easier than going to the store. Click the mouse a few times and the oil shows up on the doorstep. What could be easier?
+1
thumbsup2.gif
And you save gas from going to get it...

That engine would be fine with a good quality Dino but if you want to keep running Syn, then use Pennzoil Platinum. Excellent product for the price that would do well in your application.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

+1
thumbsup2.gif
And you save gas from going to get it...

That engine would be fine with a good quality Dino but if you want to keep running Syn, then use Pennzoil Platinum. Excellent product for the price that would do well in your application.

It's bad enough paying the price for premium oil. I don't like having to pay additionally for the right to make the order. If it were a simple matter of making an online order, I do that all the time.

Do you think PP would be good with the 10K extended drain intervals? I wouldn't mind doing one UOA to prove it.

PP will do fine. Remember this is a torque monster and it makes it at low rpms. I prefer to err on the thicker side or I should say the higher HTHS side. I have to throw Redline out there because I truly believe it's the best for your engine but it's hard to justify the price. I wouldn't go thinner than a 10w-30 in most brands or 5w-30 with Redline.

In reality keeping a good tune on it without detonation and any decent oil will let the old 3.8L last forever.

What mods do you have and how much boost are you running?

PP will do fine. Remember this is a torque monster and it makes it at low rpms. I prefer to err on the thicker side or I should say the higher HTHS side. I have to throw Redline out there because I truly believe it's the best for your engine but it's hard to justify the price. I wouldn't go thinner than a 10w-30 in most brands or 5w-30 with Redline.

In reality keeping a good tune on it without detonation and any decent oil will let the old 3.8L last forever.

What mods do you have and how much boost are you running?

Unless convinced otherwise, 10W-30 PP it is.

You asked, so here it is:)
3.4" WBS MPS---Yella Terra 1.84 RRs---ZZP Silver Ceramic Coated PEMs---Wrapped Crossover---3" ZZP SS DP w/hi-flow cat---Gutted Air Box w/ EA Panel Filter---180 T-stat - Drilled---AL104 Plugs @ 0.052"---Denso O2 Sensor---Turned Upper Mounts---Solid Tranny Mount---KYB GR2s---GMPD Susp Upgrade Kit---All Energy Poly Bushings---BFG Traction T/A H---DHP PowrTuned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back