Tired of Blackstone Delays

That's unfortunate at their price point anyone would need to wait three weeks for results. You can certainly spend less & get quicker results from other labs than the time you've posted here.

My last sample took 3ish weeks. I finally had to call them, and they confirmed that they had my sample and were in the process of testing it. Are they still a small outfit?

Here's my timeframe for Oil Analyzers with prepaid UPS:
Take sample to work on Monday (UPS picks up every day).
Sample is delivered Wednesday morning.
I get results somewhere between Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. I've sent many samples, and the timeframe is always this. No deviation (yet).

Part of Blackstone's problem is the prepaid USPS envelopes. They take 4-5 days to deliver, and then Blackstone takes several weeks to start testing it. I've heard if you don't use the prepaid envelopes, BS starts testing it much sooner after they receive it. But then that's another $5-10 out of your pocket. No thanks.

I order Oil Analyzer with UPS prepaid through the Amsoil website. If you order 3 kits at once, you get the best price per kit (they don't charge shipping for 3+ kits, so that helps knock the price down).

They used to be a ton better than they are now. I sent in my first sample on a Saturday, early 2016. Results came in that Monday. Then it got to where it took a week, then 2 weeks. Now, it's 3 or more weeks. I've used them up until recently, but I'm going to be changing labs, too. I don't mind waiting up to a week, but when it's pushing a month, that's getting ridiculous.

Oil Analyzers in Indy received my sample last Thursday @ noon. I received the results late afternoon yesterday. The kits were from Amsoil. This was a resample to compare results from Blackstone. The Blackstone results took around 3 weeks.

Blackstone lost me as a customer for their unacceptable turnaround time, non competitive pricing, lack of oxidation, fuel dilution inaccuracies, and finally QC issues. Nobody should have to ask for a rerun when the viscosity is clearly out of spec from the marked grade. They have a computerized system, but that should include a rudimentary application db lookup and you dont even need a human.

Last edited:
I'm not bothered by the slow time, it comes in when it comes in. I'm already on the next oil change anyway so it's not like I need the results next day. When it arrives it's like a little mini unexpected christmas out of the blue and I get to update my spreadsheet, it's all good.

I sent a sample to Oil Analyzers 3/21 and it has been sitting with USPS in Indianapolis since 3/24. I reckon I’ll get it when I get it.
I've had several USPS experiences like this with oil samples. Once I started using UPS, it was smooth sailing and FAST. Never again, USPS.

I've notice delays with USPS Ground Advantage ever since they started with that. I'll see the package sitting at a distribution center for a day or so before moving on.

Back