tire with softer ride in 45 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tcmo
Thanks for the replies. Hyundai factory 16" rims are hard to find locally. Conti DWS are an option but I read so many internet stories of bulging sidewalls and poor quality control from Continental.

I've not heard of that many problems with the DWS. I think they had more issues with the older extremecontact model.

I've used them where a softer ride is needed on a lower profile setup, and they live up to the hype as far as comfort is concerned. Steering precision and feel isn't up to the class leaders, but it does everything else well.

But they are UHP tires. There are softer, more comfortable options if you don't need that kind of performance, and want better treadwear.

FWIW, some sidewall issues on the low profile tires seems to relate to insufficient inflation. I see far fewer sidwall complaints from people running at the upper end of the inflation range.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
The best thing to do is to do some research into which model of tire available in that size is on the softer side of the spectrum. You don't really specify what criteria is important other than softer riding, and no snow conditions; you'll have to do at least some of the legwork yourself.

Just a cursory search at the Tire Rack shows that there are 86 tires available in that size, that run the gamut from extreme summer tires to studdable winter tires...

This is what I would do as well.

The DWS and MXM4 are both on the "best seller" list.

I had the DWS on a Jetta in 205/45-16 and they rode better than P-Zeros, in fact they were better in every respect. YMMV.

I have found that tires alone can make an appreciable difference in things like ride quality, noise and handling. I personaly find that its definitely one of those places where you "get what you pay for" in most cases.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread.

And which size do you suggest for his car?

Available sizes from tire rack:

195/70R14 90T
205/70R15 95T
215/65R15 95T
225/60R16 97T
225/55R18 97H
225/60R18 99H
235/60R18 102T

Krzys

lol.gif

Thanks again. I won't change wheel size. Just looking for a "softer" riding 17" tire.

Good luck. I still think the differences in ride comfort will be negligible if you go this route.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread.

And which size do you suggest for his car?

Available sizes from tire rack:

195/70R14 90T
205/70R15 95T
215/65R15 95T
225/60R16 97T
225/55R18 97H
225/60R18 99H
235/60R18 102T

Krzys

If he's a superman, he might be able to stretch the 16s over his 17" rims.
lol.gif

You can try looking for a tire that has less UTQG and in the "grand touring" group. Basically a softer compound that doesn't last as long but will dampen the ride.

Have you tried reducing the air pressure? That should be the most significant change you can make.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
You can try looking for a tire that has less UTQG and in the "grand touring" group. Basically a softer compound that doesn't last as long but will dampen the ride.

His current tires are already "grand touring" tires and have treadwear index of 440 which isn't particularly high in this category. I'm also not sure that you can infer anything about ride softness based on the treadwear index. I believe it is the construction of the sidewall that makes the biggest impact on ride dampening.

Thanks again. I won't change wheel size. Just looking for a "softer" riding 17" tire.

Do you want to try 215/50-17 in place of OEM 215/45-17 ? It's about 3.5% larger in diameter, about 0.4" larger sidewall.

Hankook V2 Concept is not a max performance tire, it has a little softer sidewall and the ride is softer than most UHP tires.

Thanks for the replies. Hyundai factory 16" rims are hard to find locally. Conti DWS are an option but I read so many internet stories of bulging sidewalls and poor quality control from Continental.

After the OEM 40 series Pirelli P-zero Neros on my Mazda bulged on 3 of the 4, I switched to ContiExtremes(predecessor to the current DWS). 35,000 miles later I can say I'm very pleased and am strongly considering sticking with Conti's when the current set is shot.

those tires while short on sidewall arent rubberbands.

they still have nearly 4" of sidewall.

switching to the right tire could help considerably.

at least you will get performance and traction if not as much comfort as you want.

the kh16 is the typical oem tire.

rides bad, traction bad except in dry, MPG's good, treadlife mediocre.

I had them on my elantra touring(17" rims). The gf has them in the stock accent size 185/65r14?

they are/were pitiful in both sizes. She has had 5 punctures
3 were in same tire so I retired that one. A used tigerpaw radial is currently on.. they will be replaced next spring..

(she has snows too)

I dont remember mine wearing too bad but they only had 14000miles on them when a texting guy totalled that car.

Hers about 20000miles and they are pretty done. 4/32 or so right now.

back on topic

I'd step up one size to a 225/45r17 there are 170 tires in that size at tirerack and they will fit, be cheaper(usually), and give you abit (5%)more sidewall. Your speedometer will be off about 1.4% which is nothing.. ie you are going 60mph will actually be 60.9mph

Last edited:
if you want to give up your firstborn I'd recommend the michelin primacy mxm4 182$ each

overall avoid XL sidewalls and speed ratings higher than W

is performance a consideration at all?

you can go for mpgs with some mushy conti ecoplus

or cheap with general altimax hp's

lots of good options out there.

Rand's description of the KH 16 is my experience on an Elantra Tour. Primacy MXM4 are expensive but I may look at them more closely. Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S are a possibility but the dealer here in Columbia, MO doesn't have any in stock to examine and no availability for 2-3 weeks. Nitto Motivo is also a choice. Limited reviews on the last 2 tires.

If you're looking for a softer, more comfortable ride, you want the MXV, not the MXM. The MXV is still their GT flagship, and priced accordingly.

Whether it comes in your size, I do not know.

Originally Posted By: Rand
. . .
or cheap with general altimax hp's

lots of good options out there.

Yes, once you get into the GT realm, there are more choices.

You'll give up the velcro grip and razor sharpness of the performance rubber, but you'll usually get a better real world ride on most cars, and a lot more treadwear.

The Altimax HP is a great budget GT tire with some HP traits. A poor man's Michelin. It just doesn't last as long as the MXV can.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

It doesn't. That's why I suggested the MXM instead. There actually appear to be two MXM4 tires available in his size: Primacy MXM4 and Pilot HX MXM4. Both are GT tires, but the Primacy ones seems to be getting a lot better reviews.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
If you're looking for a softer, more comfortable ride, you want the MXV, not the MXM. The MXV is still their GT flagship, and priced accordingly.

Well I happened to check tirerack and they dont sell it in his size thats why I didnt recommend it .. usually a good indicator its not available.

If you are going to suggest a tire you might want to see if the tire you are suggesting is even available in the right size.. otherwise your post is fairly pointless.

QP,
the pilot HX mxm4 is an old oem tire..
I think it came on Honda accords very mediocre untypical michelin oem tire thats not liked very well.

the primacy mxm4 is new, very good, and not oem.

the primacy mxm4 is a sportier version of the mxv4 with slightly/moderately less snow traction due to the tread design mainly.

its actually available in H or W rating in that size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

If you are going to suggest a tire you might want to see if the tire you are suggesting is even available in the right size.. otherwise your post is fairly pointless.

What kind of a smack reply is THAT?

I'm not going to go through the fitment book for everyone that asks a question.

My comment was also self-qualifying about fitment. It's up to the owner to see if something fits his car.

You can spin the MXM any way you like. It's a step below the MXV. I've rode on both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back