tire size question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Those disclaimers about "construction" are holdovers from radial vs bias. If you have a cooper passenger all season on the front left and a michelin on the front right and two other brands on the rear you'll do fine.

I agree with eljefino on this. When I was a student, with far less money and didn't know what I know now, I've had a few instances where a single tire was damaged beyond repaired. Replaced the single tire with same size and type (including matching all-seasons of similar capabilities and same speed rating), though different model. Not even a hint of ill effects. I saw these as interim tires until the others wore down to where a new set would be needed. Of course, YMMV.

Caveat: if you are going to do this, make sure similar tread on the same axle, same size at least on the same axle, same speed rating, and what should be an obvious, no mixing bias and radial (not a concern on most passenger vehicles anyway as bias are obsolete on all but a few types of tires). Your handling dynamics could still be upset, but if tires are matched closely by treadlife and performance, you would likely not be able to detect it.

That said, I doubt I would do that today, nor would I recommend it. Just stating it may not be as dire as some say (there are far worse combos out there, like winters only on the front, or mixed bias and radial). Thankfully for me, my size is quite common, and my winter and summer choices were also common, meaning theoretically, I should be able to find an identical match in all aspects in a used tire should I ever have one fail beyond repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back