Tire shredding Mustang on the dyno!

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
lol.gif

I had a 2014 Chevy spark that's about the same hp/torque output.. point a to b at it's best.

Thing is in pretty nice condition. My 900cc motorcycle has almost twice the HP of that 2300cc engine, lol,

25 years ago I built a 392 IHC for my IHC pickup. Took it to a shop to get the jetting and timing dialed in. Guy snickered,put a couple of straps on it. Got the dyno rolling,4th gear,mashed the throttle.

Hp and tq were very very dismal. The smell of burning rubber filled the room. We looked around to see if it had thrown a belt or what. On the 2nd pull we realized that the tires were smoking on the rollers!

The guys then decided to put more straps on it.

The HP and torque curve seem pretty impressive to almost shoot right to Max and hold flattish from a low rpm

Yeah, it's kinda sad with what we were driving back then as compared to the 1960s to the very, very early 70s. Then, everything seemed to STOP! I mean, we were driving V8s with 120-150 hp.
laugh.gif

Today, OMG what a difference! I mean, we're driving NA 4 cyl family sedans with ~ 200 hp. And 4 cyl turbos with even greater #s. I mean, we're driving 3500 lb(still heavy) family sedan 4 cyls that'll do 0-60 in the high 5s.

Last edited:
Like I said yesterday, my VW is quicker than a Ferrari 308GTB V8

and its and 85 cu-in "motorcycle" engine in a 3200 lb car.

I'm sure the Ferrari is more fun to drive regardless.

The VW handles pretty bad and lists like a double-decker bus

I had an 1981 Capri 4 cylinder - basically the same car except 5 speed. Yes it had to downshift going up hills and couldn't use cruise control unless it was on flat ground. Gas was $1.35 per gallon at the time which we thought was outrageous. Equivalent to $4+ now. In-line 6 would have been a better choice but it only came with a 4 speed.

The Capri's 2.3 engine made 88 hp or 0.64 hp per cubic inch.

My Fiesta's 1.0 3-cylinder makes 126 hp or 2.1 hp per cubic inch.

And surprisingly they both weigh about 2500 lbs.

Originally Posted by ripcord
That's a Pinto, Baby!

No that's the garbage fox platform.

The modified pinto platform of the Mustang II was a much better handler.

I know, I had a King Cobra with a breathed on 302 and a 4 speed.

Car was a blast!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Couldn't handle much worse than a first gen Stang. They drove like a truck.

My first Vette was a 76 that made 180 hp IIRC. Glad things changed a bit....

Had a 79 Mustang with the 2.8 liter V6, 3 speed auto. First gear just about reached 60 mph! Always had choke issues but I did thrash it and nothing broke.

Originally Posted by joegreen
The HP and torque curve seem pretty impressive to almost shoot right to Max and hold flattish from a low rpm

Agreed. Even though the absolute numbers are not particularly impressive, low end torque to me is one of the single biggest general driveability parameters for me in a car. I'd like a lot more of it in a car that size and weight, but having that kind of torque right off the line can mask some other ills.

A friend of mine had an IHC 1 ton 4X4 with a 500+ ci IHC gas V8 engine that came out of an irrigation pump? We rebuilt it. It had a governed 2bbl we replaced with 500 Holly 2 bbl after a little machine work on the intake. I remember they used some good cast iron because there was almost no ridge. I cost a lot to have rebuilt but OMG what to torque monster. Not much horsepower but if you had traction I think that thing would pull a crooked road straight. Not a good choice to drive much, it never passed a gas station, 2 to 4 mpg. We would joke you had to shut it off to fill it up or the pump was too slow. You could have a fully loaded 3 axel stock trailer and it pulled it like there was nothing back there. If course, still had the typical bad brakes of that era so you have to be careful cause you were not going to stop very fast.

Thanks, that sparked a good memory
Rod

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
That's a Pinto, Baby!

Car was a blast!

[Linked Image]

But the Monza Spyder with 305 and 4 speed was much better.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
That's a Pinto, Baby!

Car was a blast!

But the Monza Spyder with 305 and 4 speed was much better.

Doubt it, and I'm not a Ford guy. Cant beat the front suspension on the Mustang II

Its used today for almost all Resto rods. NO Garbage Struts.

Plus, I made my own "Monza" I put a Don Hardy V8 kit in a '74 Vega GT,

300 HP 327, partial fender well headers and TH350 - all back in the late 70's.

Fun but Big Mistake overall.

Should have done a Turbo or breathed on Iron Duke 2.5 instead

Last edited:
Back