Tire selection for small zero-turn

I got a small (36") zero-turn mower a year ago and it has the original tires (15+ years old). On dry grass and level surfaces, they work just fine but in the backyard, about 1/2 the yard slopes downward and I frequently spin one or the other drive wheel. What do I look for in replacements ? The existing tires don't have aggressive treads, in fact, they look like something that a lawn tractor/riding mower would have. I don't what anything that will tear up the yard either so if replacements are similar to what's on it, that's fine.

Here's a set of Carlisle tires (supposed to be good brand for applications like this): https://a.co/d/1VWNGZC. Not sure I want to spend $200 just on tires though.
Then there's these: https://a.co/d/iyQWsWF. Price-wise, this is much more appealing and the tread looks pretty similar to what I have currently. 4.7 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.
These are a LOT more popular on Amazon: https://a.co/d/4sIjQOZ.

It seems like my selection is limited because the tire size might not be a very common size. It takes me less than an hour to mow and factoring in 2x a week for a month or so when the grass grows faster, I might mow 50 hours a year max, so very light-duty/usage.

you should have turf-saver, AG/BAR tires, and industrial (in-between the other 2) available.
my 40 year old JD 316 has some really hard tires but they work ok except in reverse uphill.
82 bucks a tire seems really high for "WANDA " brand tires. also throw in mounting and balancing.

Near where my cabin is there is a rural tire dealer... his all in price mounted was 5$ more than I could buy tires for... might check one of those out.

you also dont need 4 ply on that light mower.

I got a small (36") zero-turn mower a year ago and it has the original tires (15+ years old). On dry grass and level surfaces, they work just fine but in the backyard, about 1/2 the yard slopes downward and I frequently spin one or the other drive wheel. What do I look for in replacements ? The existing tires don't have aggressive treads, in fact, they look like something that a lawn tractor/riding mower would have. I don't what anything that will tear up the yard either so if replacements are similar to what's on it, that's fine.

Here's a set of Carlisle tires (supposed to be good brand for applications like this): https://a.co/d/1VWNGZC. Not sure I want to spend $200 just on tires though.
Then there's these: https://a.co/d/iyQWsWF. Price-wise, this is much more appealing and the tread looks pretty similar to what I have currently. 4.7 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.
These are a LOT more popular on Amazon: https://a.co/d/4sIjQOZ.

It seems like my selection is limited because the tire size might not be a very common size. It takes me less than an hour to mow and factoring in 2x a week for a month or so when the grass grows faster, I might mow 50 hours a year max, so very light-duty/usage.
That last link is the typical tread on Z turns. Those should be fine.

82 bucks a tire seems really high for "WANDA " brand tires. also throw in mounting and balancing.

you also dont need 4 ply on that light mower.
The WANDA is for (2), not just a single tire. Most of what I've seen so far have been 4-ply so while I understand I might not need it, it seems like it might be standard (??). The Carlisle are 8-ply.
Near where my cabin is there is a rural tire dealer... his all in price mounted was 5$ more than I could buy tires for... might check one of those out.
I can try some of those. It looked like most deal with car or truck tires though, not lawn and garden, etc.

The WANDA is for (2), not just a single tire. Most of what I've seen so far have been 4-ply so while I understand I might not need it, it seems like it might be standard (??). The Carlisle are 8-ply.

I can try some of those. It looked like most deal with car or truck tires though, not lawn and garden, etc.
Where are you in Ohio?

I missed "set of 2 in title"
Do you plan on mounting the tires yourself? if not expect a PITA and 15$ each.
maybe more if you dont buy the tires where you are having them mounted.

I suspect most any tire you select will be fine. Selection of tires for a mower is nowhere near as important as it is for a vehicle on the road. Except for perhaps treadwear, none of the criteria that we all fret over for auto tires matter for mower. Chances are the tire will start to dry rot long before the tread wears out. And even if they do dry rot, what does it matter? It's not like a blowout is going to cause a fatal crash.

Where are you in Ohio?

Do you plan on mounting the tires yourself? if not expect a PITA and 15$ each.
SW, between Dayton and Cincinnati. I wouldn't try the mount these myself, but I think I could have some feasible options. Son works at a place with a small-engine shop / mechanic and he's going to ask for a favor. There's also a farm equipment dealer in town that I could drop them off at in the morning and pick up and their prices are fair. There's also some backyard, small-engine as well as "mower" dealers/service shops around.

I presume a regular tire shop might have difficulty with these given how small they are.

SW, between Dayton and Cincinnati. I wouldn't try the mount these myself, but I think I could have some feasible options. Son works at a place with a small-engine shop / mechanic and he's going to ask for a favor. There's also a farm equipment dealer in town that I could drop them off at in the morning and pick up and their prices are fair. There's also some backyard, small-engine as well as "mower" dealers/service shops around.

I presume a regular tire shop might have difficulty with these given how small they are.
yeah that's the wrong corner of the state for me.
I use this place near Carrollton ohio. Never hand mounting and dismounting tractor tire again (lol) been there done that used the sawzall and ratchet strap.
Prices were good, Good experience, but dont be in a hurry.
1711830926391.jpg

That definitely looks more farm equipment/tractor focused too big see the 3-4' tall tires on the side of the building.

That definitely looks more farm equipment/tractor focused too big see the 3-4' tall tires on the side of the building.
if they can do big ones they will do little ones too. I had them mount 3point mowing deck tires -similar to front tires on zero turn.
and the front tires of the deere 850 which arent really that big.. about the size of rear tires on small lawn mower... but skinnier.

so just find a place like that near you ;)

I just put these on my JD LT150 yesterday. I am tired of spinning on the hill when the grass is wet. I aerated last week after some rain and it was a real PITA. I think these will fix the situation. I had to add an extra bushing because the offset of the rim was different but that was easily fixed a True Value for $5.

You can buy the wheel assemblies or just the tire.

Turf Traction

Just my $0.02

I just put these on my JD LT150 yesterday. I am tired of spinning on the hill when the grass is wet. I aerated last week after some rain and it was a real PITA. I think these will fix the situation. I had to add an extra bushing because the offset of the rim was different but that was easily fixed a True Value for $5.

Turf Traction

Just my $0.02
I was actually just looking at these in 24x12x12 but held off due to lack of reviews. Please let me know how they work. These look like they’d be great for winter work. Any pics of them mounted?

Turf Traction

Just my $0.02
Those have some meaty lugs on them. You'll be pulling stumps & dragging treas around the yard with those. 😄

I had turf tires on my time cutter zero turn, if they spin they would tear up grass, and they would spin easily if any mud got in the treads. The mud stayed in the treads and the thing would spin all day, until the mid dried and came out next moving.
I went to tractor type tires. They spin less so they seem the do better on the grass. Now I can do tight Zero turns or it will tear. I am happy with them.
IMG_20230306_082259514.jpg
IMG_20230309_175900934.jpg

I was actually just looking at these in 24x12x12 but held off due to lack of reviews. Please let me know how they work. These look like they’d be great for winter work. Any pics of them mounted?
I don’t have any pics. There are several on the Amazon listing. I’ll try to get some later this week.

Just my $0.02

That last link is the typical tread on Z turns. Those should be fine.
I bought the MaxAuto tires. Could have flipped a coin between them and the WANDA - both were big sellers and highly rated. We'll see how they work !

Back