Tire recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for new tires. It isn't an immediate need, but within the next few months. But we won't have this vehicle more than a couple years, so part of my thinking is might as well get the new tires sooner and be able to enjoy them more.

The vehicle is a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. Mostly hwy miles, about 15k/yr or maybe a bit more. Not aggressive driving. Currently have Kuhmo Escata Platinum XL, and they've been pretty good and I would buy again. But the place we got them raised their prices a lot, and so I am looking at other options.

Size is 205/55/R16. Looking for all season, with at least a V speed rating, and UTGQ of A A or better and 500 or better.

Cooper, Dunlop, I think Michelin, Kuhmo, Hanook, and General all have mfgr mail-in rebates right now. I'm not sure of others. But a MIR sure helps.

Any suggestions?

I've been very pleased with the Cooper Zeon RS-A's that I put on my Legacy GT. Quiet, nice ride, very good handling, and outstanding in the wet. It's too soon to comment on life. Out of all the tires I've tried in the last ten years, these are second only to the Michelin Pilot AS that I had on my WRX.

Ed

Dunlop SP Sport Signature is a tire that I've bought a few times. It's now $88/tire plus shipping from Tire Rack.

Continental ContiProContact is another one that I've used a couple times. It's gone up a fair bit but is ~ $105/tire plus shipping from Tire Rack.

You may have the largest selection of tires in that size.

I'd check out the tests on Tire Rack's website. Most of the replies you'll get in this thread will be "tire X is good"...not very useful.

I typically select a tire with the best wet handling I can since that's a safety concern. Road noise and ride quality don't matter much to me since I drive a sporty car on narrow sidewall tires.

I'm basically in the same boat at you, wally. My Golf will need new tires before winter hits and I'm biding my time to find a good deal. I check Tire Rack & Discount Tire occasionally but I'm really waiting for another Costco/Bridgestone deal which they seem to run once a year. $70 off a set of four plus $30 toward installation was unbeatable.

IIRC right now they are running $70 off a set of Michelins. They tend to be $20 more per tire than similar Bridgestones and (so far) I've never seen any additional discount toward the cost of installation.

Unlike dparm, I drive an economical commuter/family hauler and want tall sidewalls whenever possible. The current 3 BFGoodriches and 1 Bridgestone have served me well.

Quote:
Not aggressive driving. ..... Looking for all season, with at least a V speed rating,
Why? Why limit your choices, likely reduce the tire life, and maybe reduce the winter traction? Consider H speed rating tires as well.

Definitely check the Tire Rack's ratings.

I just got 205/55R16 Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on our 2000 VW Beetle and they are fantastic. Quiet, superb traction in the wet. Watch and get a rebate with 'em. I always try to get as premium a tire as I can afford.

I narrowed it down to four choices. I'll just wait over the next couple months and see the best deal I can find. Right now the deals aren't that great.

Cooper Zeon RS3-A
Kumho Ecsta 4x
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum (current tires)
General G-max AS-03

I am not being sarcastic here so, please let this be noted
smile.gif

But, why then if you don't drive aggressively do you want a "V" speed rated tire? What am I missing here?

Do you like the Kumha Ecsta LX Plat's? If so, get'em again especially since you know how they act! Are the LX Plat's "V" rated? They're actually a more luxury oriented tire(I like that!)

I personaly have been beyond satisfied with most higher rated/scoring/reviewed tires in "T" & "H" speed ratings, and have enjoyed longer tread life, lower purchace cost and more than enough performance in a 205-55-16 and with a better ride over broken pavement compared to a "V" speed rated tire.

I have even had many "T" rated tires that performed better than some "H" rated tires(or at least to my liking). Not saying that the "T" out performed it's "H" rated brother, just some brands "T" better than another brands "H". Professional testing even shows this in many cases!

Again, not being sarcastic!
smile.gif
I am not sure what your looking for in a tire or why. Is it for looks only?(Not aggressive driving/"V" speed rating)?

I would look to the TR or DTD customer reviews on your particular car and see what others like in your climate and driving style!

Although I don't buy "V" rated tires for our vehicles, I have driven in plenty of cars with'em and I'd take the lower speed rating any day especially for everyday normal type(non-aggressive) driving.

I don't want to turn this into another thread arguing over speed ratings, but I agree with Char Baby. I recently went through this when buying tires for my Hyundai. The OE tires were V rated (way overkill, IMO). Nothing in the owner's manual or the door sticker said V replacement tires were required.

I went with Hankook H727, which are only T rated. I've been really happy with the tires/price I paid. I didn't notice a difference in handling in the normal driving I do on a daily basis. I haven't died...yet.
grin.gif

Last edited:
I know I don't need a V rated tire, but part of it is the ride they give. The Kuhmo Plats on there now are actually W. They are a good tire, and have great tread life for what they are. Not tire you'd want on a Camaro, but sporty enough for our Vibe, and quiet and smooth enough for the mostly hwy driving. Just wish wet traction was a tad better. The vehicle is my wife's daily driver.

If a local tire shop does buy 3 get 1 free again (they had it in late winter and last summer) before the end of August (Kuhmo has a $50 MIR until then) I can get 4 of the Plats with an alignment, installed, with lifetime rotations and balancing, for under $400. The Coopers are enticing, but it all depends on price.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'd check out the tests on Tire Rack's website. Most of the replies you'll get in this thread will be "tire X is good"...not very useful.

I typically select a tire with the best wet handling I can since that's a safety concern. Road noise and ride quality don't matter much to me since I drive a sporty car on narrow sidewall tires.

I am looking for tires for a TSX and the tests on Tire Rack's site were very helpful. Some are rather dated tests but are still a help and very comprehensive.

Sale on DiscountTiresDirect till Sunday with free shipping. Buy 4 tires get a $100 visa prepaid card. Good on any 4 tires purchased or save $50 on 2 tires. Seems like a good deal. May jump on it myself.

Can be combined with manufacturer rebated from Goodyear, Michelin etc...

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Sale on DiscountTireSDirect till Sunday with free shipping. Buy 4 tires get a $100 visa prepaid card. Good on any 4 tires purchased or save $50 on 2 tires. Seems like a good deal. May jump on it myself.

its www.discounttiredirect.com

also they specifically say its not valid with other offers.

If you go to a local discount tire store its not available but the 70$ on 4 michelin deal is.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Sale on DiscountTiresDirect till Sunday with free shipping. Buy 4 tires get a $100 visa prepaid card. Good on any 4 tires purchased or save $50 on 2 tires. Seems like a good deal. May jump on it myself.

I just bought 4 Hankooks on the 7th. Filled out the online rebate. Hankook is also offering $50 on a set of 4 (H727) That I am also going to submit. Considering the tires cost me $456 I am getting close to 150 back. It's like getting a tire for free plus some!

I called DTD

they said the hankook and goodyear dunlop all DO stack

but the kumho rebate doesnt stack.

so possible deals are

180 off v12 evos
150 off h727

180 to 140 off random goodyear and dunlop tires

I like the hankooks for price,ride and wear.
I've been running their Winter ipike's all year round for their grip.
I have the 727's also,and have been happy.
One nail puncture in 5 sets of tires...not bad.

Originally Posted By: SkyGod
I like the hankooks for price,ride and wear.

I agree with this!

Although our iPikes are in the shed at the moment and the Ventus V2s are on both cars. Very happy with them and the Ventus V4s that I had on the G6 previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back