Tire recommendations - 265/65R 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be needing new tires come spring for the wife's 2005 Toyota 4Runner 4WD.

I'm thinking about BF Goodrich Long Trail TA's. Anyone have any experiences with this tire? (good or bad)

Any other recommendations? Wife would like RWL tires, but it's not mandatory.

Thanks.

I ran a set of Long Trail TA's on a Chevy Silverado. Not a whole lot to say about them. Decent traction and decent treadwear. I'd buy another set if the price was right, especially if this vehicle is not going to be off road.

A tire that is about the same price as the Long Trail, that is getting high ratings at TireRack.com is the Continental Cross Contact LX tire, but I have no experience with these.

I'm happy with my Michelin LTX's. They are a bit pricey, but if they can be caught on special at Sam's or Costco, the price comes down to that of other tires.

All of these can be had as ROWL's.

Thanks for pointing out the Continental Cross Contacts. Sounds like an excellent tire... certainly an outstanding tread wear rating! I will certainly consider them.

Long Trails are decent street only tires. I had some on Ford Ranger and thought they were an ok commuter tire. They were not particularly good as truck tire in my opinion. I thought they didn't grip all that well when pushed. I'd try something else.

Are you looking for a more street oriented tire?

Originally Posted By: Huhwhye

Are you looking for a more street oriented tire?

Yep, looking for a street tire. The only time the wife goes "off-roading" is by accident.
LOL.gif

Want a good all around tire... something that has good wet and dry traction, braking and handling, is decent in the snow, and is still quiet and long wearing. I realize that with an All Season Highway tire, you have to give up something, I'm just looking for the best compromise without spending a fortune. It looks like the Continental tire may be just the ticket.

You're from NE PA/, snow land huh?, go with BFG AT KO's.
Have them on my 2008 F 150, had them on my 02' F 150, a great all around tire. I had to run them above the recommended tire pressure 35psi as the gas mileage suffered to 42psi and mileage was fine, and they wear like IRON. Just rotate every 6-8K.....great tires. Cheap?, no, but worth the $.

Take a look at the Toyo Open Country HT. I have a set of 275/65R17 that grip well wet or dry, handle great, and are super quiet. They look good, too. They may not do well on ice/snow, I don't know yet. The Toyo Open Country AT (all-terain) may be better for winter weather.

Thanks guys... I'll look into all of these.

After reading the "Worst Tire" thread, I was beginning to think that all the tires are bad.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Thorn
Check out my post on the Nokian Vatiiva. These are 265/65/17 on a 2006 4Runner.

Nokian Vatiiva 265/65/17

They are great looking winter tires Thorn. However, I'm looking for more of an all-season tire... not sure if they would be suitable.

Actually, they are an A/T tire based on Nokian's WR SUV "all-weather" (four season) highway tire. They have a fairly high treadwear rating and a 60,000 mile warranty.

Surprisingly, they are reasonably quiet, handle well, and have excellent wet and snow traction so far.

You may want to check out Nokian's website and look at the WR SUV tire too. I see that you are from NEPA, and these tires are readily available at Jack Williams tire stores.

Another tire that I strongly considered before I bought the Vatiivas was the Cooper Discoverer ATR. Probably one of the better highway tires out there in this size is the Michelin Cross-Terrain, but they are $$$.

Just about all of the reviews that I was able to locate on the Internet for each of the tires that I mentioned in this post have been very favorable.

Thanks.

I'll check out Nokian's website, and stop by one of Jack Williams stores (there are 3 close to me) for a closer look. Those tires sure have an aggressive tread pattern. I'm surprised that they are quiet.

Seems like a lot of folks like those Cooper tires too. I'll do some research on them in addition to all the others.

Looks like I've got a pretty good selection to choose from thanks to all the good folks here!
thumbsup2.gif

The Cooper Discoverer ATR is classified by Cooper as an all terrain tire. The Discoverer H/T is classified as an all season tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back