Tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do these inward bulges mean? There are two, about opposite of each other. I can feel the same inward bulge on the inside of the tire.
2u6dzch.jpg

And 180 over is a smaller one, but I don't think I feel it on the inside.
qyz675.jpg

Id guess where belts or plies overlap?

They're not bulges, but hopefully they aren't bulges in reverse...

I know I have seen those before, and its the outward ones that are bad.

Just wanted confirmation.

This looks like plies are failing, but I'm not an tyre expert. It would be great if Capri racer give opinion on this. I have similar condition on a fairly new Nokian Line.

Year old tire. Bought online not from a local shop. I suspect there is someway to return if truly bad, but I'm not clear if I'd have to find a shop to do that.

This is the main reason I stopped buying tire online 8-10 years ago.

I do some researches and print the lowest price I find online, take it to local AT/DT to have price match. This way I get the lowest price possible and excellent customer service from local AT store.

There's nothing wrong with these tires.

Sidewall bulges = always bad
Sidewall indentations = not bad and have to do with how a tire is constructed

Some tires have deeper indentations than others.

Here's a doc from the RMA:
http://us.coopertire.com/CooperTiresConsumer2013/media/Documents/Service_Bulletin_54.pdf

Quote:
In a radial tire the body ply cords run straight across the tire from bead to bead. Because of the "straight across" constructions, the joining of the ply material creates a narrow overlap of ply cords in the radial direction at each junction. These overlapped ply cords slightly restrict the natural expansion of the sidewall when inflated. This results in an indentation. Since all radial tires contain belts, which restrict the tread and keep it flat, only the sidewalls are indented.

Sidewall indentations are purely a visual characteristic and will not affect the performance of the tire.

First, those are where the PLIES overlap in what is called a splice. EVERY tire has at least one for every sidewall ply. They may be hard to find, but you can find them if you look hard enough.

It is NOT where the belts overlap. The belts are in the tread area, and belt splices that overlap would have indentations in the tread area and not in the sidewall. Besides, steel belts tend to be butt-spliced, which means there is no overlap. (Hard to do with plies.)

They are called Indentations. Google tire indentations for more info.

If anything, the tire is stronger in that area.

Those look quite pronounced, but it could be just the way the photo was taken. If you are unhappy with them, go back to where you bought the tires and complain. So long as you haven't put too many miles on them, the dealership ought to be willing to trade them out.

Oh, and they vary from tire to tire. Even tires within the same date codes will have some that are quite large and some that are quite small. It is highly variable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Which General model is this?

General RT43.

the other three tires do not show this, but wife is out so I cannot check her tires (same ones, albeit different size).

Leaving alone. I think I have 10k on them, and with any luck car will be sold tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back